Anyone use a calf blanket before?

Help Support CattleToday:

NonTypicalCPA

Reaction score
I've got a calf coming any day and temperatures with highs in the teens and lows near zero next week. I ordered one on Amazon today to give it a try. I'm curious if anyone else has used them and if they have any tips?

I have used them, they work good for the first few days when the calves are not that active. The cows lick them out of place some. I guess I left them on too long. They soon get muddy and manured. I bought 4, loaned them out, and I have 2

Have used them often on bottle babies. Never used them when the calf was with the cow although if they were in a stall or very small lot I think it could help if the calf is small, or weak or has an issue. When a calf is with it's mother, it will get up and suck frequently which will help to keep the gut tract working which generates heat in the body. Plus the cow licking the calf. But with babies that are housed in a calf hutch, or barn/stall or whatever, and only fed 2x a day they are very beneficial for the first few days/weeks. Especially with small breeds like jerseys, or weak calves. It contains the body heat so the milk that the calf is drinking will go towards some growing and not just to provide fuel for the calf to generate their body heat. The other thing, if a calf has a DRY area out of the wind, to bed down in, it can take alot of cold. They cannot take cold wind or wet conditions.

I just returned a couple to a dairy farmer that sent 2 calves home with me late last spring during a real windy spell. I repaired a place that had been torn before I used it, sewed a patch on it and it was ready to wash. They do get soiled, but most all I have seen are completely washable.

Would keep one or two on hand just in case for all the calves I start on the nurse cows and the few that are on bottles. A dry sheltered spot out of the wind is worth more than a calf blanket.

NonTypicalCPA":3kztgqnj said:
I've got a calf coming any day and temperatures with highs in the teens and lows near zero next week. I ordered one on Amazon today to give it a try. I'm curious if anyone else has used them and if they have any tips?

Get it dried off, get it sucked and going strong and put them in a shelter out of wind on a heavy bed of straw and it should be fine. Always works for us.

Merry Christmas.

An ex-large dog coat from TSC or some farm store works well also. I made a pattern off one and made a few. Since moving to a later calving period-don't need to worry quite so much about frozen ears, tail, calves, but it's good to be prepared.

I have never used one, but I have used one of my wife's old coats that she was going to throw out. Have used on a couple of calves that were born in cold( for north Alabama) weather. I could tell they were chilled and I just wrapped them up in the coat and when they got warm they would just get up and walk out of the coat. Worked good for me.

Nah he was fine. Try not to have them like that, but it happens. This one was born and the mother walked off, wasn't even expecting her to calve at the time, so good thing I happened upon him. He got a day trip to the basement. I had already brushed his face off before the picture.

Supa Dexta":25s0npze said:
Nah he was fine. Try not to have them like that, but it happens. This one was born and the mother walked off, wasn't even expecting her to calve at the time, so good thing I happened upon him. He got a day trip to the basement. I had already brushed his face off before the picture.

We don't have anywhere near the kind of winter weather you do, but it is a GOOD reason I don't want calves in Jan and Feb at least. We get more of that cold freezing rain in late Dec and early Mar than snow and that is actually worse than snow. But I just hate winter calvings.....

NonTypicalCPA":19lvlquj said:

Never used one - if it is born healthy and gets dried off and sucks they are - at least to me - an unnecessary expense.

Lots of calves born in the snow that do well.

Otherwise those mid west ranchers would own thousands of those blankets.

However........

If it removes the stress from your mind then do it.

In the end you want to be able to sleep at night.

Merry Christmas.

Latest posts