Anyone raised any Texels?

Help Support CattleToday:

I still cannot believe that our government is seriously considering a tax on livestock farts. What planet am I living on?

With out looking at my numbers…
567 heifers
20 bulls
561 calves that will weaned this year.

So let's say 1148 for this year I would be paying for. So I would be paying $99,876. If the price of cattle goes up $.30 more then I could do it. I better be able to write it off and will push my keepers longer to pay for them selves.

Depending on the markets I would be selling out and would go back to work for a living. It's to many acres to bail so I would have to be a row crop farmer.

Only if there was a way to strap tanks to there backs. Just empty the tanks twice a day and burn to produce electricity… "Hi I'm a mobgraving methane farmer".

mobgrazer":2hxplt0r said:
With out looking at my numbers…
567 heifers
20 bulls
561 calves that will weaned this year.

So let's say 1148 for this year I would be paying for. So I would be paying $99,876. If the price of cattle goes up $.30 more then I could do it. I better be able to write it off and will push my keepers longer to pay for them selves.

Depending on the markets I would be selling out and would go back to work for a living. It's to many acres to bail so I would have to be a row crop farmer.

Only if there was a way to strap tanks to there backs. Just empty the tanks twice a day and burn to produce electricity… "Hi I'm a mobgraving methane farmer".

Very interesting! There are also methane crop taxes being tossed around in addition to livestock taxes. I think rice (Arkansas) would be one of the highest methane penalties per ton. It wouldn't seem fair to exclude crop farmers from the same methane restrictions except maybe to the environmental vegetarians.

I know of a local house riding thing that has 400 + head. They should qualify for it to.
What about the buffalo farmers?

mobgrazer":uiuxsd9x said:
I know of a local house riding thing that has 400 + head. They should qualify for it to.
What about the buffalo farmers?

I would think buffalo would be exempt of methane taxes because of extintion probabilities. You may be on to something.

KNERSIE":28ixj85e said:
Over here three lambs will bring the same as one weaner calf.

It is not like that here. I have raised goats before and was pretty regular with the sheep and goat auctions for a while. Really good whether lambs will struggle to get a hundred dollar bill. Boer billys in September rarely bring $80. Good weaned calves (~550 lbs) bring $400 to $650 (2006). Goats and sheep down here is primarily a selling females proposition. I have hauled whole trailer loads of billy goats (half Boer/half Spanish) and I doubt the guy got anywhere near $1200 for the load when Three good steers would have done a lot better than THAT(and would have been a heck of a lot easier to load and unload).

DOC HARRIS":2twluvt1 said:
Keren":2twluvt1 said:
Dun ... remember you are talking to an Aussie ... we live off them, and they taste great. I actually like sheep better than beef (hiding now, please dont kill me) but I like goat better than sheep. I will admit they are born looking for a way to die.

At least I dont eat lutefisk

Keren-

E-e-e-u-u-u! If you would like a way to "wean" yourself OFF of goat meat, try eating COLD Goatmeat sandwiches on plain old White bread! That would run a buzzard off of a Garbage Dump! :devil2: :???:

DOC HARRIS

Doc, I actually like cold goat roast on sandwiches the next day :D

I will admit though, that all the crappy Australian meat ends up in America :oops: you guys get our cull goats - old does and bucks - so if any of you are wanting good goat meat, DONT buy the stuff imported from Australia :lol2: get some good home grown stuff. All our premium stuff goes onto our domestic market.

will admit though, that all the crappy Australian meat ends up in America you guys get our cull goats - old does and bucks - so if any of you are wanting good goat meat, DONT buy the stuff imported from Australia get some good home grown stuff. All our premium stuff goes onto our domestic market

Thats odd because the crappy meat we get in the USA is usually from Mexico and we send it to Australia. See ya at the Bush Festival in Corryong In April.

T

Keren":1qvyq7dm said:
Oh what a shame, I will be at Sydney show when you are here for the bush festival
Oh well maybe I can mail you some spanish goat meat raised on Prime pasture between McCamey and Crane Texas

thanks to everyone that had insight about multi-species grazing and texel information in general.. It is pretty interesting that a bunch of anti texel people would view this post over 900 times.... I guess some of you just can''t stand not to put in your 2 cents lol no matter how silly the post. Again TY to everyone that had a post that was on Topic
:tiphat:

dun":1rbqqkty said:
West of us are a good number of RMs but not many in this area. I don;t know about worms in sheep but it seems like most of the goat wormers are pretty ineffective unless the grass is kept knee high or it's barren ground.

Too many of the wormers used are underdosed for goats and are not rotated enough. Most goat dosages should be about triple the recommended for cattle. Also, rotation between white wormers(synanthic- oxfendazole, safeguard- fenbendazole, valbazen- albendazole) and clear wormers(ivomec- ivermectin, doramectin(can't remember name brand), and cydectin- moxidectin) has been less than ideal. Also, most goats were wormed so much(every three weeks, every thirty days, etc.) that wormers are less effective. Finding more parasite resistant goats and using natural wormers more often than synthetics are the real keys to the parasite problem. I almost forgot. Rotational grazing and keeping the grass a little higher is also an effective parasite removal tool.

HerefordSire":12i47td1 said:
brandonm_13":12i47td1 said:
It may be a cattle forum, but I can tell you that sheep definately correlate to cattle production. Sheep and goats have been used for weed prevention for years, without the side effects that pesticides give. And for anyone that thinks they are nasty, when's the last time you saw them peeing or taking a dump in a pond, while drinking out of it at the same time? Cattle do it all the time. We just have a prejudice against them.

Sheep eat weeds? If so, what other benefits do sheep provide besides clothing and meat?

This is when we need a New Zealander on the boards... I know the Kiwi's have a couple of other 'benefits' for which they raise ground lice :p
(if there is a Kiwi lurking I'm gonna get it!) :eek:

Keren":2kgkwv6j said:
:lol2:

You are VERY bad Carla ... and yes I believe there is a kiwi angus breeder who pops in every now and then ...

'pops in'?? :eek: hehe :p

Keren":ryruvkje said:
At least I dont eat lutefisk
holy yesterday! I was just sitting here minding my own business, half asleep ~ and I come across this!! :eek: Now I wait until the next time you want goat evaluation. :nod:

I like sheep. I eat sheep, and I like it ~ a lot. I will send you lutefisk and after you soak it in water for 3 days to get the lye out, you cook it up and then tell me you don't eat lutefisk! I like goat in summer sausage, but that is it.

Killala":2wjc6pcn said:
This is when we need a New Zealander on the boards... I know the Kiwi's have a couple of other 'benefits' for which they raise ground lice :p
(if there is a Kiwi lurking I'm gonna get it!) :eek:

The pohms use them a lot for terminal sires as well as purebreds which is why I thought the link to the "Farmers Weekly" would be helpfull, but obviously it isn't. I have only had Wiltipers and Dorpers, and was roped into shearing Merinos for too long! so I didn't feel qualified to give advise on Texels.