Anyone know their insects?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
I got a bug on my arm today and it looked sortof like a slug but it was hairy. At first I didn't even recognize it as being anything other than a leaf but it stung me like fire. I knocked it off my arm and its been over 12 hours and my arm is still burning. Anyone know what this slug/caterpillar/bug is called?

Sky that's a orb weaver
Jo, probably was a saddleback as said. A moth caterpillar that stings like a sob

We have a white version of that here, no 'horn' looking appendages tho, just a hairy looking worm anout 1/4" diameter X 1 1/4" long. We just call them an asp. They drop out of oak trees on ya and sting like fire tho.

Caustic Burno":2h1treyg said:
hooknline":2h1treyg said:
Sky that's a orb weaver
Jo, probably was a saddleback as said. A moth caterpillar that stings like a sob

Also called a banana spider in this part of the world
They make a tough web too--I've seen them thick across a pathway or opening in the woods. I hate walking into one of their webs. They lay their eggs in a little paper looking pod, usually hanging off a shed or barn down low. I put one in a jar and a few weeks later about a dozen little spiders came crawling out of it.

hooknline":2zz0aqc2 said:
Sky that's a orb weaver

Thanks hook... It was almost a man killer when I stuck my hand on its web and saw the spider I screamed talk about almost having a heart attack lol

greybeard":2zz0aqc2 said:
Caustic Burno":2zz0aqc2 said:
hooknline":2zz0aqc2 said:
Sky that's a orb weaver

Also called a banana spider in this part of the world

They make a tough web too--I've seen them thick across a pathway or opening in the woods. I hate walking into one of their webs. They lay their eggs in a little paper looking pod, usually hanging off a shed or barn down low. I put one in a jar and a few weeks later about a dozen little spiders came crawling out of it.

I hate getting in webs going through the woods I normall walk with a stick out in front of me 2 feet so it breaks the web before i get to it.

I just looked that same spider up last week. It took residence at the end of my back porch. Yellow Garden Orb. Neat to watch. I killed an egg sack. Was going to move the spider until just now I saw it run, grab a love bug, go back to the center of the web and proceed to do whatever it does with its mouth on it! I think it can stay a little while longer. Nothing eats those lovebugs. I wonder if my chickens are eating any?

skyhightree1":qyzdisn9 said:
since we are on bugs can someone tell me what kind of spider this is? its the size of palm of my hand.

garden spider, i let em hang around, their harmless and eat the other unwanted insects.. infact i transplanted two from my front porch to the barn...

Don't know anything about the worm, but the spider is a garden spider. Lots of gardeners transplant them as Alacowman does. The spider is a little wicked looking, but I find them to be a very attractive in color.

I go out of the way not to bother garden spiders, the amount of bugs they eat out weigh any aggravation from walking into a web.

We also have some toads that stay around our garage approach, my wife was complaining about all the toad poop and I told her, just think how many bugs it took to make those little poop pellets...

Jo, sounds like you had a run in with an "oak asp". They definitely look like a slug and have a grey, hairy exterior. I was climbing a live oak tree when I was a kid and put my forearm on one -- extremely painful! Doctor gave some sort of pill and mom gave me Blue Bell ice cream and a day or two later I was OK again.

danl":3hil7lyp said:
I go out of the way not to bother garden spiders, the amount of bugs they eat out weigh any aggravation from walking into a web.

We also have some toads that stay around our garage approach, my wife was complaining about all the toad poop and I told her, just think how many bugs it took to make those little poop pellets...
Bet I've got a couple dozen around the place. They are catching their share of the grasshoppers. Man they can wrap one up in a heartbeat too.

Arnold Ziffle":1og784pn said:
Jo, sounds like you had a run in with an "oak asp". They definitely look like a slug and have a grey, hairy exterior. I was climbing a live oak tree when I was a kid and put my forearm on one -- extremely painful! Doctor gave some sort of pill and mom gave me Blue Bell ice cream and a day or two later I was OK again.

Who knew Blue Bell was a cure for an asp sting??

TexasBred":2p459nv4 said:
danl":2p459nv4 said:

Bet I've got a couple dozen around the place. They are catching their share of the grasshoppers. Man they can wrap one up in a heartbeat too.
Its neat the way they work their webs, like grandmaw on a quilt
:cowboy:

I saw a spider do something about a year ago I didn't know they could or would do. A pretty large brown spider had a web in the corner of my shop door and I had left it alone.

I was standing in the door watching a storm blow up, and when it started lightly raining the spider started taking it's web back up.

I was amazed. it ingested it in a hurry, I don't even know where the web went. but later that night it put it back up..

Barn spiders will do that. They eat their web each day and build a new one each night.

Latest posts