Anyone know of any ...

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
weaned steer or heifer sales within 60 miles of Nashville, Tn. in the Spring of 2011? Prefer late March or early April and also intersted in buying straight off the farm.---Thanks :tiphat:

Not sure how far you are away from these cities but
Dickson, Tn -Dickson Livestock center, 615-446-9066 auction tuesdays
Columbia, Tn.-Tennessee livestock producers 931-223-8323
Savannah, Tn.- Hardin co. stock yard 731-925-3287 auctions wed
Fayetteville, Tn
All of these have weekly auctions on certain days and times.
You can go to LMA Auctions.com for days and times also you can go to DVA Auctions.com
These are cattle auction websites on the internet and they have many more from all across the U.S. from many different states

jtbakv":d49ldlbv said:
Not sure how far you are away from these cities but
Dickson, Tn -Dickson Livestock center, 615-446-9066 auction tuesdays
Columbia, Tn.-Tennessee livestock producers 931-223-8323
Savannah, Tn.- Hardin co. stock yard 731-925-3287 auctions wed
Fayetteville, Tn
All of these have weekly auctions on certain days and times.
You can go to LMA Auctions.com for days and times also you can go to DVA Auctions.com
These are cattle auction websites on the internet and they have many more from all across the U.S. from many different states

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant special sales of weaned steers or heifers that have followed a certain health protocol put out there for them. They can only be in the sale if they have followed the specific guidelines set forth. Guthrie Ky. has these sometimes but the only one listed is in Jan. 2011.

The sale at Glasgow has some groups that claimed to have been weaned and shots. I guess you have to take their word for it. How many do you want? Did you get you some more pasture?

Yes, these are preconditioned sales and offered in my area in late fall. this year it was in nov. I'm in the chattanooga area. You could call one of the sale barns and ask when theirs will be. I'm not sure if they would have 1 or more a year.

tom4018":3en0it57 said:
The sale at Glasgow has some groups that claimed to have been weaned and shots. I guess you have to take their word for it. How many do you want? Did you get you some more pasture?

I ended up getting to keep my 27 acre river bottom pasture and am going to look Saturday at another 23 acre pasture that I will almost for sure take on. I know it ain't much by many of y'all's standards but it one step at a time. I will most likely put one likesize group on one pasture to sell at market and another 4-6 at the other pasture to be sold for freezer beef.

tncattle":zkkz43dg said:
tom4018":zkkz43dg said:

I ended up getting to keep my 27 acre river bottom pasture and am going to look Saturday at another 23 acre pasture that I will almost for sure take on. I know it ain't much by many of y'all's standards but it one step at a time. I will most likely put one likesize group on one pasture to sell at market and another 4-6 at the other pasture to be sold for freezer beef.

If i was trying to find what you are looking for......
I would search for someone in my area who had the type of cattle I want.....
this might involve just observing cattle as you drive down the road.....
go to them and tell them what you are looking for.....
make a deal privately....
if they don't want to deal go to the next one.....
avoid the stock yard.... disease central... all together
pay for quality.....don't attempt to achieve market lows in your buying
get weaned and preconditioned calves that are ready to turn out and grow.
when you find a good source, attempt to reach a longer term agreement.....

pdfangus":17wfl9ld said:
tncattle":17wfl9ld said:
tom4018":17wfl9ld said:

If i was trying to find what you are looking for......
I would search for someone in my area who had the type of cattle I want.....
this might involve just observing cattle as you drive down the road.....
go to them and tell them what you are looking for.....
make a deal privately....
if they don't want to deal go to the next one.....
avoid the stock yard.... disease central... all together
pay for quality.....don't attempt to achieve market lows in your buying
get weaned and preconditioned calves that are ready to turn out and grow.
when you find a good source, attempt to reach a longer term agreement.....

You are probably right, I thought maybe those pre-conditioned sales might be okay because they are required to follow a certain health program. I haven't found any local farmers yet, I think it's harder because I live close to a big city and there just aren't that many around. I've put ads on Craigslist and another Ag. site but no answers yet. Just gotta keep trying. Maybe I should put one on CT classifieds-- :compute: I don't mind paying for quality cattle, I'm not looking for cheapo junk that will hurt me in the long run.

Latest posts