Anyone ever get lazy?

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
I'm not talking to the point that your cows are starving and your lawn is up to the windows, but do you ever just go through a period where you just can't get motivated to do certain things?

I've had that lately. I don't know if it's the dog days of summer or what. Anything lately that isn't pressing, I'm letting go. Earlier in the summer, I was grabbing the chainsaw and clearing grown up areas, rerouting fences just because I wanted to, building new shed doors, but not now.

For example, we had high winds a few weeks back and several trees were blown down. Those that didn't fall on the fence are still lying right where they fell just because I can't get in the mood to fool with them.

A nice shower and the couch is looking better a lot sooner in the evening than it was earlier in the year. Anybody else have these times, or am I just a lame excuse for a farmer?

Whatever it is, it is contagious. With everything going on with work, the farm and my mom's accident I feel overwhelmed. Mowed a few hours Saturday and that is about all besides normal feeding that I have accomplished in the last couple weeks.

I'll admit to it. I'm a go 100mph guy or go none at all. Feast or famine. I work best under stress, overload, pressure, deadline, etc. I'll go weeks and months full throttle. Days off just break my momentum so I try not to have them, because I know what happens, and it ain't much happening, that's for sure. Winter gives me excuses to be lazy and procrastinate and that's when I struggle most.

I've found the best thing for me is to keep my blood moving, motor running, if I don't, it's goodnight. Driving or seat time is my worst enemy sometimes. Ya tighten up and get sleepy. The motivation can fade fast sometimes.

Eating right and keeping a routine helps me too. I seem to get just a little bit better every year about my lazy spells.

Herofan, I actually do best in the heat, I guess it has to do with muscles being loose, back and joints feel better, more of a challenge too. And keeping a good sweat feels great to me.

Interesting topic by the way ....

Yes Hero, I can totally relate to what you are saying! I have certain things that really get me going, and I work hard at. Then once they are accomplished, I have kind of a "let down" I guess. For example, getting cattle ready for the fair. A big horse event. Family gathering at my house ect.. Once the event is over, I loose my momentum!! It makes me mad at myself!
The event seems to be my motivation. But once it has past, nothing seems important enough to do just for myself. If my house is dusty, who will care but me? :frowns:

Yea, and I wish I didn't. Sometimes between work, farming, kids, and church you get to a point were you realize you just can't get it all done. Someone made a good post the other day. It went kinda like this-------When your young you want more, and when your older you want less. I am starting to feel that way. I fight the urge to send my cow/calf operation down the road. I'd background two big groups. Put up almost no hay, and take December, January, and half of February off. I don't guess I'll ever do that, but I think about it all the time. It's laziness talking when I feel that way.

Oh yeah, I certainly do.. Right now I am doing irrigation and haying, and that's about what'll fit into a day, unless you want to be in the sun when it's 100F in the shade. I do a fair bit of work at night, both in the winters and summers, I'm a night owl by nature, certainly don't *enjoy* being up early.. I was always told the early bird gets the worm.. but who wants worms?? it's the second mouse that gets the cheese!

Nesi, its also funny how nobody tells you about the bad stuff that happens to the early worm. Its always good stuff about the early bird.

Drought is a big factor that affects me, been in an off and on drought since 1995, you get a good year and start improving your pastures and get them back in shape then here it comes back again destroying all you have accomplished even to the point of selling off the cow herd.

with me it is not so much lazy as now I am old and overwhelmed....most things are looked at from a point of view of can I still do this or how can I get this done? back in the day I just let her rip and bulled thru it....

I figure I'll have plenty of lazy days in a bed in a nursing home if I'm fortunate enough to live that long so I'm hesitant to waste time now while I'm still healty enough to get up and out.

Good health and time are our most valuable assets.

it is normal . It's a precursor to the change of the seasons. Dog days are hot and projects tend to less enthusiastic this time of the year. If you look back you will see in the spring you had motivation, as that wained summer took hold and motivation was there now you are in transition to fall and it will be like it was in spring when your preparing for winter. It just a cycle and your body and mind preparing for whate ahead.

back in the day....summer was the time I did major fencing projects...this was before the day of post drivers and all the modern stuff.....we used to dig and tamp post from dawn til noon and then take the afternoon off and come back at 4:00 and work til dark.....

i to can get lazy and slow sometimes.but the last week or 2 ive been real busy and that makes me feel better.

Aaron":26fvweh9 said:
Around here we have a word for it, winter. And it lasts for more than just a few days.
Down here it's summer....and there is NO bad time to take a nap, unless of course you're driving :shock:

I think M5 hit the nail on the head. its those dog days of summer that get to me, and even though the motivation is there, I need an expediter around to get me thru them. (usually its the wife) :nod:
I get most of my projects accomplished in Spring and Fall when the weather is good and I feel better.. but some things just have to be done during the hot summer, and just gotta " keep on keepin on." :cboy:

I don't call it lazy. I just set my goals for the day very low and then don't expect to reach them.

I don't do summer heat very well at all. In the winter there isn't enough daylight. So most things get accomplished in the spring or the fall.

yes i do but its always the fences!they must be checked every day.mine must be walked not driven,and carrying t posts and a quarter mile of b-wire just sets the mood.wheres the wine and candles?its always the fences...accidental

heres the thing.i have some major disabilities.every time there is a pressure change i go to a new hell.if i can just get out there the distraction of the cattle kinda helps me.i can do more .and feeding the mini horse pbelly pigs pygmy goats and the boer xhelp alittle more. then of course i have to go back to the house and face the music.the song that starts with the fences are down.the bull is in the swamp again.theres people trying to pet the cattle through the fence.your bull stomped some city folks pug when it chased it barking.someone fed the horse apples through the fence.the kids finger got bit and now your work mare has colic.is it lazy?or just sick and tired.

I frequently put a job off till winter cause it's too hot, then can't do it cause the ground is too soft.