Anybody know about mini split air conditioners

Help Support CattleToday:

im no expert on solar by any means but here where i am anything solar is gonna cost you a pretty penny for quality solar system components.

Mountain_Fork":vf5ixeib said:
mini split air conditioner
Pros vs cons
Is it possible to power them with solar panels and not break the bank ?

I don't know a lot about them them other than I put one in my house two years ago. It's a 12000 kw LG. Cools my whole downstairs (about 1200 square feet) nicely. Also is a heat pump and I use it in the spring or fall to quick heat the house on cold mornings. The outside unit is about 3' by 3' by 1' and sounds like a box fan when running. You can stand right next to it and barely hear when it is on. It runs on a double pole 20 amp breaker and doesn't effect my electric bill much. I've lived here for 25 years and can't believe I didn't put one in sooner. It's been perfect. Can't comment on solar power, though.

millstreaminn":brxj7jbc said:
Mountain_Fork":brxj7jbc said:
Pros vs cons

I don't know a lot about them them other than I put one in my house two years ago. It's a 12000 kw LG. Cools my whole downstairs (about 1200 square feet) nicely. Also is a heat pump and I use it in the spring or fall to quick heat the house on cold mornings. The outside unit is about 3' by 3' by 1' and sounds like a box fan when running. You can stand right next to it and barely hear when it is on. It runs on a double pole 20 amp breaker and doesn't effect my electric bill much. I've lived here for 25 years and can't believe I didn't put one in sooner. It's been perfect. Can't comment on solar power, though.

I wouldn't need near that large
I have read that the mini's only use about 500 watts, but there is so much on the internet I don't know what to believe

I personally don't know much. However, I know a guy that has one in his river camp house. He swears by it and declares that only two brands are worth having Mitsubishi and Fujitsu. His father was in the business of heating and air and a brother still in he business . I think he knows what he is talking about. He also recommends getting a mini split that is made to operate off of dc current saying it is much cheaper and use less energy . Hope this helps.

phillse":3d3umds9 said:
I personally don't know much. However, I know a guy that has one in his river camp house. He swears by it and declares that only two brands are worth having Mitsubishi and Fujitsu. His father was in the business of heating and air and a brother still in he business . I think he knows what he is talking about. He also recommends getting a mini split that is made to operate off of dc current saying it is much cheaper and use less energy . Hope this helps.

Thanks
I'm ignorant but the way I understand they convert the ac current to dc then back to ac ???
They said the surge when starting is the electricity hog so it never really quits running and when it cycles on it slowly ramps up, but I again that's just what I read. I have no first hand experience

Mountain_Fork":3c57a67s said:
millstreaminn":3c57a67s said:
Mountain_Fork":3c57a67s said:
Pros vs cons

I wouldn't need near that large
I have read that the mini's only use about 500 watts, but there is so much on the internet I don't know what to believe

This is the type of unit I was talking about:
http://www.pexsupply.com/Single-Zone-Mi ... rs-1668000

Latest posts