Anybody Had Cataract Surgery?

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
I had eye exam today and doctor said I probably have cataracts. Appt. next week with opthalmologist for further exam.

Wondering about recovery period, problems you had, cost of procedure, etc.

Appreciate any info y'all can provide. [Note: I've already visited the Mayo Clinic medical site but wanted some "actual" information from one who has experienced it].

Thanks!

Not me,tho that's probully gonna be the next thing to go--Daddy had surgery about 25 years ago,said it wasn't much of a much then.. After the surgery he could see everything!

Bill, I ask everybody about it. I hear it is piece of cake but one or two weeks recovery in which you are not supposed to bend over or pick up anything very heavy. That throws a monkey wrench in the works for me. Or maybe I should say it gives me an excuse to procrastinate.

Go have it. Then let ME know how it was.

Dad had itdone and he didn't have any problems at all, like Ryder said he wasn't allowed to bend over or lift anything for awhile

he has had both eyes done 1 first then the 2nd a few yrs after that main thing is follow the Drs instructions on the recovery

Both of my grandparents have had it, and they both say it was the best thing they ever did - and that's something coming from my granddaddy who rarely has a pleasant word to say about anything! I'm not kidding.
I don't remember anything about recovery instructions but lots of eye drops - some that feel soothing, some that sting - and my mama and aunt had similar drops for lasik, which they also rave about.
I know it's scary, but I'd encourage my loved ones to do it.

My mother just got it done. She also had a lens put in so that she wouldn't have to wear glasses anymore. She states this was the best decision she ever made. She had a few complications like seeing "floaters" for about a week and some scar tissue they had to go in and remove. Might have been cause by the lens.

Check into the len if you wear glasses.

Running Arrow Bill":15orlen9 said:
I had eye exam today and doctor said I probably have cataracts. Appt. next week with opthalmologist for further exam.

Appreciate any info y'all can provide. [Note: I've already visited the Mayo Clinic medical site but wanted some "actual" information from one who has experienced it].

Thanks!

Yes, I had it last week (the 16th). If you can't tell that you've got cataracts, yours may not be "ready" for surgery. My vision had got bad; I was not happy. Checked into Outpatient Surgery at 6:30 and walked out with a bandage over the eye a little after 8:00. Went in the next morning and had the bandage removed and could already see the improvement in the eye. They put six shots in the eyeball to numb it, so there was some soreness there, but never bad enough for me to take any pain meds. Lots of eye drops, don't bend from the waist or pick up anything heavy until your followup appt. Yesterday I was seeing 20/30 out of that eye and they say go back to my normal routine.

This procedure took the lens out of my eye and replaced it with an implant. It immediately corrected my distance vision, but I'll probably need some sort of glasses for reading. I'll have the other one done on the 7th. Three weeks later, I can get examined for new glasses.

Haven't seen the bill, so I don't know the cost. But we have insurance and I think it'll be worth it, whatever the cost. Your vision is pretty important. Besides, that's why we have savings accounts. :)

ffamom":3v329149 said:
My mother just got it done. She also had a lens put in so that she wouldn't have to wear glasses anymore. She states this was the best decision she ever made. She had a few complications like seeing "floaters" for about a week and some scar tissue they had to go in and remove. Might have been cause by the lens.

Check into the len if you wear glasses.

I'm scheduled to have this type surgery on my right eye December 4th ( Ithink) then the left eye in January. Was told that it's rather routine, they gave me some drops to use before and after surgery and once completed I may not have to wear glasses at all but could possibly have to wear some very weak reading glasses. Cost is suppose to be about $1800 for each eye. Dr. Said everything would be much brighter and much more colorful after surgery because I've basically been lookingthru a cloud for quite a while now.

Frankie":ga6dtgcp said:
Running Arrow Bill":ga6dtgcp said:

Thanks!

Yes, I had it last week (the 16th). If you can't tell that you've got cataracts, yours may not be "ready" for surgery. My vision had got bad; I was not happy. Checked into Outpatient Surgery at 6:30 and walked out with a bandage over the eye a little after 8:00. Went in the next morning and had the bandage removed and could already see the improvement in the eye. They put six shots in the eyeball to numb it, so there was some soreness there, but never bad enough for me to take any pain meds. Lots of eye drops, don't bend from the waist or pick up anything heavy until your followup appt. Yesterday I was seeing 20/30 out of that eye and they say go back to my normal routine.

This procedure took the lens out of my eye and replaced it with an implant. It immediately corrected my distance vision, but I'll probably need some sort of glasses for reading. I'll have the other one done on the 7th. Three weeks later, I can get examined for new glasses.

Haven't seen the bill, so I don't know the cost. But we have insurance and I think it'll be worth it, whatever the cost. Your vision is pretty important. Besides, that's why we have savings accounts. :)

Ouch Frankie! 6 shots in eyeball!! I trust they give you some heavy sedation, pre-shot numbing Rx before that sadistic "sharp stick in the eye" therapy!!

Running Arrow Bill":1e64jg3j said:
Ouch Frankie! 6 shots in eyeball!! I trust they give you some heavy sedation, pre-shot numbing Rx before that sadistic "sharp stick in the eye" therapy!!

Didn't know a thing. The doctor walked up to the hospital bed with three syringes in his hand, they opened up the IV and about the next thing I knew, they were telling me I could go home. Modern medicine is great. :lol:

Went in to surgery at nine on a Friday. Got out with a patch and was told to go get something for lunch and return. Everything was fine. Went home. Monday they removed the patch and I could suddenly see without glasses like I used to see with glasses. The new lenses are vision corrected. I was so impressed I decided to do the other eye the following Friday. I still had to use reading glasses. That was just before they came out with new lenses that corrected for reading, also. Absolutely no pain or problems. I almost wish I could afford to do it again so I could get rid of these damn reading glasses. Oh well. GET-R-DONE! You won't regret it. :banana:

Still wondering if anyone has any idea of the cost for the surgery and all the other "collateral" charges they come up with. Got an appt. for Wednesday for a consult...lot depends on "degree" of the cataract and/or the charges. If it's more than what I want to pay, will just wait and get a referral to my VA Hospital...our's is a first class hospital...had several procedures done there, no complaints.

Running Arrow Bill":30lpapui said:
Still wondering if anyone has any idea of the cost for the surgery and all the other "collateral" charges they come up with. Got an appt. for Wednesday for a consult...lot depends on "degree" of the cataract and/or the charges. If it's more than what I want to pay, will just wait and get a referral to my VA Hospital...our's is a first class hospital...had several procedures done there, no complaints.

Bill my cataract surgery is scheduled for next friday. Done at the clinic, wear comfortable clothes (no undressing necessary). Gave me some drops to use the day before the surgery and then some for afterward. Total cost for both eyes is $3,600.00. That is for removal of the cataract and implanting a new lense in each eye.

TexasBred":4g03qan5 said:
Running Arrow Bill":4g03qan5 said:

Bill my cataract surgery is scheduled for next friday. Done at the clinic, wear comfortable clothes (no undressing necessary). Gave me some drops to use the day before the surgery and then some for afterward. Total cost for both eyes is $3,600.00. That is for removal of the cataract and implanting a new lense in each eye.

Thanks! If I have it done will only have the "worst" eye done. See how that turns out. If successful and no serious recovery and/or complications would "wait and see" on the 2nd eye.

I've had both eyes done now, so thought I'd report back. The first eye was like magic. I could see soooo well with it. Didn't have the second one done until Dec 7th and it hasn't gone as well. It's taking longer to heal so I have to wait a extra week to get new glasses. And it's very frustrating not to be able to see right here at Christmas. And I have heard some horror stories from other people about their problems with the surgery.

I'm still getting statments from the insurance companies, so I'm still not sure what the doctor and hospital charged.

Running Arrow Bill":287wyq1f said:
TexasBred":287wyq1f said:
Running Arrow Bill":287wyq1f said:

Thanks! If I have it done will only have the "worst" eye done. See how that turns out. If successful and no serious recovery and/or complications would "wait and see" on the 2nd eye.

Well my doctor was in an automobile accident so surgery had to be rescheduled. Will have first eye done January 8th and then second one on Feb 7 if I remember correctly.

Latest posts