Any tricks/pitfalls to getting things shipped to the US?

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Found a product I've been looking for but they are only available now from SBM Mfg in Canada

Small items shipped via UPS is no problem.
Big items that have to be shipped via truck freight are prone to damage and freight is costly.
Most carriers shipping that far interline with another carrier or two before it reaches you.
Tracking and lost shipments are a pain.
You can file a claim in lost or damaged item but they are hard to collect from and if multiple carries are involved they point the finger at each other and none owning up to it.

So depending on how fragile and expensive it is would determine whether it's worth chancing

Edit to add we ship a lot into Mexico, but we have it delivered to sort facility in El Paso and they are responsible for delivery after that for afore mentioned problems, but even shipping from Texas to Nebraska has been problem with interline freight and damages
Also you may have to pay a tax getting into the US.
Not sure all our products going to Mexico has to have paperwork stating county of origin

Canada had a mail strike a while back and things got slow. I think they got that fixed. I haven't had any trouble sending or receiving stuff to/from Canada.

For us USPS is best to send stuff up here, as the others really nail us with duties. So canada post and onto you would likely be your best bet?

Canada Post will be cheapest route, and if it's not cheap, I can always buy it and mail USPS or whatever for you.

Jogeephus":vrbfhl99 said:
Canada had a mail strike a while back and things got slow. I think they got that fixed. I haven't had any trouble sending or receiving stuff to/from Canada.

There was a lot of talk and hype, it never happened.

Aaron":1ftcqxku said:
Canada Post will be cheapest route, and if it's not cheap, I can always buy it and mail USPS or whatever for you.

Jogeephus":1ftcqxku said:

There was a lot of talk and hype, it never happened.
Funny, the company is in Ontario too. I'm going to contact them tomorrow and see if they have any dealers in the US. If not I'll probably just order from them and have them UPS it. ONly comes to about 40 bucks Canadian and weighs maybe a pound or 2 with packaging.

Not a problem, they're shipping them to me today. I've just never recvd anything from Canada other then geese. Didn;t know what the deal was.

Latest posts