Any tips on dispatching a Bovine?

Help Support CattleToday:

Cattle Rack Rancher":shr7nb6z said:
Brute 23":shr7nb6z said:
I used a .22 mag one time right between the eyes and did not like the results. Not sure what went on but I won't do it again. Every since then its been the 30-30.
Yup. I agree. A 30-30 is a better caliber for shooting them in the face. Some have pretty thick skulls for a .22
A 22 lr solid will kill a grown bull on the spot if your within 10 foot. A 100 yds and a 30-30 would be a better choice.

Brute 23":196ki7tu said:
I used a .22 mag one time right between the eyes and did not like the results. Not sure what went on but I won't do it again. Every since then its been the 30-30.
I can't say about the mag., but I had one bad experience using a .22 long rifle for a calf. The result was not favorable. Not favorable at all.

dun":1ke8d209 said:
Cattle Rack Rancher":1ke8d209 said:
Brute 23":1ke8d209 said:
Yup. I agree. A 30-30 is a better caliber for shooting them in the face. Some have pretty thick skulls for a .22
A 22 lr solid will kill a grown bull on the spot if your within 10 foot. A 100 yds and a 30-30 would be a better choice.

I agree, but it has to be done just right. I am not a professional, so that little bigger bullet helps. When your in the pasture with 3-22mag bullets down and the cow still ain't dead, its a bad deal and too late to get another gun. :(

dun":lv1wrp3f said:
BeefmasterB":lv1wrp3f said:
dun":lv1wrp3f said:
Draw an imaginary X from the base of each ear to the opposit eye. Put the bullet in the cross part of the X. 22 LR on up will work

This is exactly what the vet told me. Except I might choose a higher calibre just to make sure it's done quick.

What's quicker then instantaneous?

Nothing is quicker if you get that result! I've had the experience with the .22, and it wasn't instaneous in spite of the correct placement.

I luv herfrds":3huzh07s said:
I would hang her for 2 weeks instead of one.

Exactly what I was going to say... 2 weeks has always been the norm for us and hanging beef.

Also, dun is correct; a correct .22 placement does the job.

Toby L.":338f4pic said:
Caustic Burno":338f4pic said:
Since ya'll are still killing this cow, I dropped one Black Flag dead with a screwdriver one time.
That one cost me about 800 froghides.

Did you get mad and stick it in the throat?

No I didn't stab the cow, she was at the hay ring swinging her head and wouldn't get back while I was moving the ring. I had a big screwdriver in my backpocket I pulled it out and hit her between the eyes and she hit the ground like a sack of claw hammers.

Caustic Burno":ieyvjw34 said:
No I didn't stab the cow, she was at the hay ring swinging her head and wouldn't get back while I was moving the ring. I had a big screwdriver in my backpocket I pulled it out and hit her between the eyes and she hit the ground like a sack of claw hammers.

May I ask, what was the first words in your head after she hit the ground? Did they start with "Oh" and end with "#hit"?

Alan

Brute 23":1t78lmc7 said:

Right between the eyes?

I can guarantee the results were poor.

You were a couple inches low - bet the cow hated it as well.

Try the X - 100% success.

Been doing it for years

Bez+

One mistake I've seen people make is using a scoped rifle. At close range, unless it has been zeroed for that range the bullet will strike low.

This link deals with on farm euthanasia as opposed to slaughter, but it may still assist you.

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/liv ... sia_cc.htm

If the X thing is hard to determine ( movement, hair etc..), then think a fingers width above the eyebrows and between the eyes.

I use slugs for euthanasia and try to send em down the spine, if the animal is cooperating. Have also used a .38 with great results.( Range 2 inches, snubby :lol2: ).

If you get a chance, pop the front of the skull off and look see exactly how that tiny brain sits in there. Will help you next time.

Alan":1hv5uuzv said:
Caustic Burno":1hv5uuzv said:

May I ask, what was the first words in your head after she hit the ground? Did they start with "Oh" and end with "#hit"?

Alan

Pretty much, I just heard two thuds, I didn't hit her hard either. She had to have had something wrong or I hit the perfect spot as I used axe handles before when I used to run tigers and never phase them.

Caustic Burno":a371ggjp said:
or I hit the perfect spot as I used axe handles before when I used to run tigers and never phase them.

If you hit her on the top of her head, it may be possible.

Once knew a guy whose horse would act up now and then, one day the horse started being a putz and he knocked it on the top of the head with his polo mallet and the horse dropped dead on the spot. He was surprised as he had done this before with this and other horses and it never killed them. :roll: (he was a polo player)

Katherine

All went well today.

Made an imaginary X. Center was between the eyes and up about an inch and it was lights out. I then cut the jugular after she stopped moving.

Got her winched up into the truck, and before noon she was quartered and hanging in a cooler. The gentleman who is doing the butchering for us took his time and presented a well thought out explanation of everything he was doing and why. We learned an awful lot today, along with a number of different tricks and methods that I have never seen any hunter or home butcher do that not only made sense when he did it, but also made the next steps easier.

He was also suprised at the amount of fat she had considering that she was strictly grass fed.

We cooked up a bit the back strap, and although it wasn't fork tender for cutting, it was very palatable, had great taste and very moderate marbeling.

I also took the advice given me here and we opened up her front plate and the sight of her brain cavity did far more to explain where and why than anybody's words could.

Thanks for all the help, I APPRECIATE the wisdom and advice from the experienced members on here.

<///><

bverellen":3tqq31gy said:
All went well today.

Thats great! Sounds like it was a really good day for you. Always nice to learn new things. I would have been interested in watching this man do the butchering.

Glad things went well.

Katherine

dun":34zm0myf said:
One mistake I've seen people make is using a scoped rifle. At close range, unless it has been zeroed for that range the bullet will strike low.

I learned that concept while hunting mice.

djinwa":rrzv7blj said:
I learned that concept while hunting mice.
That brings back memories or nightmares

when I was single I lived with two buddies that were both army special services (little whacked in the head)
Well one owned this trailer house we lived in and it had sat empty for several yrs and they had the disposition to drink a little heavy so for entertainment they would put on night vision goggles and grab the pistols and shoot mice in the living room was all good until one night one of them grabbed a 38 instead of a 22 and then we had permanent ventilation in the walls

I never figured out why they were killing the mice because I figured they were probably less harmful and carried less diseases than some of the 2 legged vermin these guys came home with from the bars

I never partook in this scenario was just an observer ;-)

And to think 1 of them is a Judge and the other is a Dr

While temperament plays a large role in tenderness & texture & taste, if you kept her calm like you said, than the temperament shouldn't affect the meat. BUT, 3 years old WILL affect the tenderness. I would recommend hanging a minimum of 14 days, best 21 days.

Latest posts