Any reason not to??

Help Support CattleToday:

dbc

Reaction score
I have two heifers who aren't givin milk any more. the calves are between 2 and 3 months old. I was going to start feeding them in pens but only have one pen. is there any reason that i couldn't or shouldn't do this?

How big is the pen? It would probably help to have them stay together...they do better when they aren't alone, tho they need to be in a pen big enough that they can romp around, run some, play, and not wind up laying down and stepping constantly in their own mess. Does the pen have shelter? Have they been vaccinated? Are they eating enough dry calf feed and hay to supply the adequate nutrition?

Alice

The pen is no too big, but it does have shelter. They have not been vac. yet but i plan on doing that. they eat well enough, but i am still going to just put a bucket of milk replacer in there just incase. This hasn't been a real good winter for me I am ready for spring.

Both of these were their first calves and were in a 3 week freezing rain. The mud was about 8 inches think in most spots. Do i take that into consideration about the milk production?

Will they drink from the bucket?

We used to feed slop to calves that age that we'd get from the sale barn...milk replacer mixed a little heavy on the replacer and in enough water that when added to the calf feed they could kind of suck it down...like slop.

Their nutrition needs to stay UP at this age...and especially in the weird Texas weather we are having. Respiratory junk can set in real quick in an undernourished calf.

I really think that maybe you need to be prepared to clean out the pen on a regular basis if it is not very big...a real pain, I'm sure. :(

Or, maybe take Horticattleman's advice and apply it right now, and put the calves where their mothers are. They really do need a decent amount of room.

Alice

dbc":25cwl6sf said:
Both of these were their first calves and were in a 3 week freezing rain. The mud was about 8 inches think in most spots. Do i take that into consideration about the milk production?

Oh boy...my first reaction to that is YES, but there are much more knowledgeable people about stuff like that than me.

Alice

dbc":31y83fk5 said:

I have in the past made excuses as to why a heifer didn;t raise a decent calf. When their secoind calves also turned out to be duds they went in the freezer. Now I don;t make excuses for a poor producing heifer, they just find a new home via the kill pen at the sale barn.

dun

dbc, I wouldnt put too much into the weather as the cow not producing milk as it should. If they are old cows (but you did say heifers) It could be other problems. I have several older cows (12-14yrs old) and I have to make sure I get my calves off of them as soon as possible in order for them to be able to produce enough milk for the next calf.
I would seriously consider trying them one more time, and see how they do the next time they calve. If they do the same way... like dun said.. off to the sale barn.

Calves need exercise to mature correctly so I wouldn't put them in a small pen for any length of time. I would keep them together though. Were you providing adequate feed and nutrition to the heifers? If so then they should be shipped out.

thanks for everyones help. Few more questions. Can i give them too much feed and should i split the feedings or give it all in the morning?

At their age, I'd split the feedings for the time being...but that's just me.

Alice

How long should I feed them?? I mean before I let them out and quit worrying bout em?

dbc":2jx2243y said:
How long should I feed them?? I mean before I let them out and quit worrying bout em?

Do you mean let them out to just forage...no supplemental feeding?

Re:
I really think that maybe you need to be prepared to clean out the pen on a regular basis if it is not very big...a real pain, I'm sure
I would recommend you NOT clean the pen until spring.
Just keep adding more bedding as needed and let it build up.
This will cause fermentation, as it does in a compost pile, which will create free heat.

When ever possible I try to have at least a 6 inch buildup before winter sets in.
IMO, the thicker the better.

what kind of feed/nutrition have the cows had? if they're hungry, not only will their milk production be low, but they're probably not going to breed back.

yes, I mean to forage only. txag do you mean breed back quickly or ever?

Since they weren't able to be with their mother for another 3 months and since they are going to be weaned from milk early, I wouldn't even think of putting them out to pasture anytime soon...

Look, get a bag of calf starter grower and read the feeding chart on it. And watch those calves and see how they are eating and growing. If you are this uneasy about it, you might just take them and their mothers to the sale and start over. I'm not being smart, I promise...but a lot of this requires intuition and close watching when calves are pulled off their mothers at this age.

Somebody else is bound to be able to give you a better answer than me.

Alice

Latest posts