Any reason not to feed...

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
a bunch of cubes that the rats had hidden? Yesterday I found one of the wife's plastic totes with Christmas junk in filled with cubes. Filled 2 1/2 five gallon buckets up and would hate to trash them if there's nothing wrong with feeding them.

Lepto would be main thing that comes to mind but if your cows are well vaccinated then should be OK. Most stored feed in bags would have some significant exposure to rat urine.
Ken

slick4591":q6v4mrr4 said:
a bunch of cubes that the rats had hidden? Yesterday I found one of the wife's plastic totes with Christmas junk in filled with cubes. Filled 2 1/2 five gallon buckets up and would hate to trash them if there's nothing wrong with feeding them.
Years ago I found a dehydrated rat in a bag of cubes so I figure all mills probably have rats. Put them out and let the cows choose.

Pretty much what I was thinking, only I can't account for the length of time they have been there. The wife says she hasn't used those decorations in years. Nothing dead in it and it looked more like a storage area than a nest. Think I'll be safe and get rid of them.

Had a bag of cubes rats had chewed through the corner and had slight smell of urine. I dumped the bag in the trough, cows ate all but a little pile of them and wouldn't touch them. Guess those were contaminated ones.

Latest posts