Any one else use this protocol?

Help Support CattleToday:

MRRherefords

Reaction score
Due to low conception rates of our AI program, we decided to try something new. We put CIDR's in last Monday and gave a shot of GNRH. This past Monday, we pulled the CIDR's and gave a shot of LUTE. So far I have not seen any signs of standing heat although one did have clear discharge. I intend on breeding tomorrow morning at 60 hours after pulling CIDR's along with another shot of GNRH. This is the protocol that was recommended to us by our vet and AI tech. Has anyone else used this protocol and if so, what type of conception rates did you have?

MRRherefords":12v6xphj said:
Should I be concerned that they are not in standing heat yet?
When I used it a tech did the breeding but looking at my calendar cidrs were pulled Monday morning the 27th had one in heat the 28th and both were bred the 29th (the second one was just starting to show heat) though they were scheduled to be bred the 30th

I'm assuming by your hours you did it PM. You shouldn't see anything till this afternoon, then only 30%, in the morning when you plan to breed is when they should be hot. If it's cows in my opinion your breeding to early. Heifers ID do even 66

bse":3jupwdmx said:
I'm assuming by your hours you did it PM. You shouldn't see anything till this afternoon, then only 30%, in the morning when you plan to breed is when they should be hot. If it's cows in my opinion your breeding to early. Heifers ID do even 66
Yes we are doing it in the evening. Thanks for the advice. Will definitely be waiting until tomorrow morning.

This evening both cows were coming into heat. By tomorrow morning both should be very hot in heat. My question is should I go ahead and give them a shot of GNRH or not at breeding?

That is my go to protocol for my own cattle. If it were me I'd breed them in the morning and not worry about the shot unless it's going to expire soon.

I always use GNRH after breeding, costs a few bucks. if they needed it its there, if not its like a shot of water, just a little ins, after all the expense 2 bucks is small change.