Any one else use this protocol?

Help Support CattleToday:

MRRherefords

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 6, 2017
Messages
776
Reaction score
5
Location
Near the Mason Dixon line
Due to low conception rates of our AI program, we decided to try something new. We put CIDR's in last Monday and gave a shot of GNRH. This past Monday, we pulled the CIDR's and gave a shot of LUTE. So far I have not seen any signs of standing heat although one did have clear discharge. I intend on breeding tomorrow morning at 60 hours after pulling CIDR's along with another shot of GNRH. This is the protocol that was recommended to us by our vet and AI tech. Has anyone else used this protocol and if so, what type of conception rates did you have?
 

ez14.

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 30, 2017
Messages
1,405
Reaction score
12
Location
west MI
MRRherefords":12v6xphj said:
Should I be concerned that they are not in standing heat yet?
When I used it a tech did the breeding but looking at my calendar cidrs were pulled Monday morning the 27th had one in heat the 28th and both were bred the 29th (the second one was just starting to show heat) though they were scheduled to be bred the 30th
 

bse

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 9, 2010
Messages
1,360
Reaction score
0
Location
middle tn
I'm assuming by your hours you did it PM. You shouldn't see anything till this afternoon, then only 30%, in the morning when you plan to breed is when they should be hot. If it's cows in my opinion your breeding to early. Heifers ID do even 66
 
OP
M

MRRherefords

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 6, 2017
Messages
776
Reaction score
5
Location
Near the Mason Dixon line
bse":3jupwdmx said:
I'm assuming by your hours you did it PM. You shouldn't see anything till this afternoon, then only 30%, in the morning when you plan to breed is when they should be hot. If it's cows in my opinion your breeding to early. Heifers ID do even 66
Yes we are doing it in the evening. Thanks for the advice. Will definitely be waiting until tomorrow morning.
 
OP
M

MRRherefords

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 6, 2017
Messages
776
Reaction score
5
Location
Near the Mason Dixon line
This evening both cows were coming into heat. By tomorrow morning both should be very hot in heat. My question is should I go ahead and give them a shot of GNRH or not at breeding?
 

cow pollinater

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 22, 2010
Messages
5,749
Reaction score
0
Location
Eastern OK
That is my go to protocol for my own cattle. If it were me I'd breed them in the morning and not worry about the shot unless it's going to expire soon.
 

bse

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 9, 2010
Messages
1,360
Reaction score
0
Location
middle tn
I always use GNRH after breeding, costs a few bucks. if they needed it its there, if not its like a shot of water, just a little ins, after all the expense 2 bucks is small change.
 

Latest posts

Top