Any ideas?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jalopy

Reaction score
How would you handle this scenario? I bought hay to be delivered and the first two loads showed up okay and they were prepaid. I prepaid for two additional loads and I have called and left messages for delivery about 6 or 7 times in the last 9 days and haven't gotten it yet. The seller called back finally on Thursday and said they had illness in the family but they would get my hay to me Friday or Saturday. I called Saturday twice explaining that I need the hay as I have borrowed some from a neighbor to get by and it is gone also. And that I will be away from home next week and need it now before I leave. He has not called yet nor delivered. Any ideas? The seller is 200 miles away but delivers all over the midwest.

better find some more from another source and work on getting this or your $$ on the side

My main hay guy won't take prepay and I guess it's probably a good thing, although I wish we could get hiom to hold it for us as we haul our own in a stock trailer so it makes going and getting a load or two every day for a couple weeks kind of a PITA.

I found myself in the same boat just before I got in the hay business for myself. I hope you will be luckier than I was.

I would have made the 200 mile trip first thing this morning with my own trucking ready to go..

I think you've been had...... Sorry..

I never ever pay for hay before I have it in my yard or all is being shipped at once. The hay we had to buy last fall I gave her(hay lady) a certified cheque once the last load was moved off her place ..

I sell hay but have never hauled any myself out of the county. Have sold to many that they arrange their own shipping. When I haul it, I want my money when it is delivered. You haul it I want paid when it is loaded. I sell to people that I consider my friends, but this is a buisness and stick to my guns when it comes to being paid. I have never asked for money up front, because that would be asking someone to do something that I wouldn't want to do myself if I were in their shoes. Their is a lack of trust if he wanted to be paid first, and dont trust people that don't trust you.

upfrombottom":2jibcmeh said:
I sell hay but have never hauled any myself out of the county. Have sold to many that they arrange their own shipping. When I haul it, I want my money when it is delivered. You haul it I want paid when it is loaded. I sell to people that I consider my friends, but this is a buisness and stick to my guns when it comes to being paid. I have never asked for money up front, because that would be asking someone to do something that I wouldn't want to do myself if I were in their shoes. Their is a lack of trust if he wanted to be paid first, and dont trust people that don't trust you.

The problems I used to have was people who would say, "Hold me twenty round bales" and never show up. If they changed their mind, why can't they let you know?

One guy bought 75 and left them for a while. Everyone else was wanting to buy those and I had to tell them they were already sold, paid for and to who. They started calling him trying to buy some of the hay.

No one is ready to buy when you need to move the hay.

Well I am half way there. They delivered one load of hay Wednesday evening and I only need one more to be even. Then, as my wife says "nevermore". Now that I have gotten to the point I could get by without it as I had to find hay elsewhere to get by. This last week when I have called instead of asking when they would bring the hay, I just asked them to repay me. And by gosh they could get the hay out then. Amazing isn't it? I guess I'll keep harping until I get the rest repaid or more hay.

I'm sure you've considered what "could have happened" had it been a bad year. All the research and all the opinions about it not being profitable to raise hay yourself just doesn't carry much weight when you find yourself in a situation like this. Glad he is coming around but ... it still don't make it right.

Latest posts