Any experience with using Nuflor in Bottle Calves??

Help Support CattleToday:

AALivestock

Reaction score
I have a 2-3wk old bottle calve who had a runny nose and cough, we gave her Nuflor and now she dosnt have as much as a appitite as normal, and is more sleepy. Is this just a side effect? I am new to this whole experience, so any advice would be helpfull.

EDIT: I just went out and checked on her and she has scours now, which before the Nuflor she had normal cow patties. Should I treat her with bolus and some re-sorb?
Andrea

AALivestock":1a6srztw said:
I have a 2-3wk old bottle calve who had a runny nose and cough, we gave her Nuflor and now she dosnt have as much as a appitite as normal, and is more sleepy. Is this just a side effect? I am new to this whole experience, so any advice would be helpfull.

Andrea

I believe that baytril would be better for that age calf. Not certain, but that is my understanding.

I have never noticed that type of reaction when using Nuflor in a calf that age. I have also used Excenel with SMZ tablets with good luck. (I dissolve the tablets in the milk replacer before I feed it)

Now that the calf is scouring, I would continue with the re-sorb. When calves are scouring, we generally feed the electrolyte 3x's a day, minimum. It's very important to keep them hydrated, they become dehydrated very quickly.

JMO,
Linda

If they are sick, need a shot, then they should also be on electrolytes and give a dose of pro-bios (or if that isn't available, use plain yogurt, about 1 cup mixed in with the milk.)

Since calves can go down quickly, I'd say the scours is from her being ill.

I've never noticed it being an effect of the shot (lack of appetite and lethargic), but the effect of being sick. If you don't see any improvement within 24 hours then give her a shot of micotil.

You can also give it Pepto Bismol to stop the scours.

Best of luck to you.

I've used Nuflor for a long time and I've never had those results from it. Give 10cc Spectan scour halt for pigs twice a day and 1 sustain scour tablet. They are good for three days. (Sustain)That should stop the scours. I never had any luck with Bismuth products. And as said before it will need a dose of Probios after antibotics. Give Nuflor every other day. You might see the vet about a shot or two of Banimine. Anti-inflamatory,pain reliver and fever reducer. ;-)

Ok thanks, also I gave her the first dose Tuesday, and second dose thursday (48 hours later), should I give her a third dose if she is still coughing?? Thanks

Andrea

I like to treat them until they're well, unless it becomes obvious the antibiotic isn't working, and then I'll switch. No sense in stopping while they're still sick, and leaving them resistant to that particular antibiotic and with a chronic case of whatever you were treating.

After the third round of Nuflor I'd give it a couple of days and see if theres improvement. If not, you might try Baytril. Normally the nuflor will take care of it.

Ok today is the day for the third dose, should I give it or wait untill tomarrow afternoon to see. (today is 48 hours later). She is definitly better, but not well.

Thanks
Andrea

I'd give it now. I usually figure if you wait past that time (12-24-36-48-72 etc hours) a given bottle of antibiotic suggests, you risk the bacteria becoming resistant to it. Some folks give one dose of antibiotic, then wait a week, decide the animal really isn't better, and treat again...doesn't sound like smart doctoring to me.

I am very inpressed with Nuflors ability to knock out respiratory problems in cattle. As a matter of fact, it hasn't failed me yet. To each his own. 8)