Any experience with spinal cord injuries-newborns?

Help Support CattleToday:

brandonm_13

Reaction score
I was given a brangus calf from a producer. The calf was 86lbs from a heifer and had to be pulled. Apparently the spinal cord was damaged. One vertebre is bulging out a little from the others. The calf can walk with help, but has no balance. It appears to be affecting the back left leg the most. Have considered working with the vet to see if we can physically shove the vertebre back into place. Other than that, I can't think of anything else that could help the walking. If the leg and back muscles had a chance to strengthen, there might be a possibility of walking, but since the calf can't lift itself, I doubt that happening. The calf does have a lot of vigor, and uses his front legs to try to pull himself up. Any ideas?(other than shoot it)

from what your saying the vertabra is cracked or out of place.an that maybe tthrowing the calfs balance off.or it could be pressing on the legs nerve.i doubt if the calf will ever get to where he can walk.the bigger he gets the more problems he will have.

Other than shoot it? No idea.

I struggled for seven weeks with a calf which couldn't walk late last year, in the hope she'd come right. In the end we had to shoot her, because the bigger they get, the harder they are to help and the harder they fall down and then can do even more damage to themselves. It's not a road I'd choose to travel again.

Get the vets opinion and if its as bad as it sounds, have it put down before you spend a bunch of money, or worse... get attached to it.

as a last effort, look for a vet who does chiropractic medicine. they usually advertise about horses. i have heard good things about what they can do.

Yes do the chiropractor thing. Some 'people' chiropractors also do horses, calves etc. They can do some amazing things in a heart beat. I have had my own chiropractor work on a race horse, a tough pull calf, and a family dog with hip dysplasia. He couldn't help the dog but he cured the horse and the calf.

Well, the results are in. It is a broken spine. The only thing he suggested was to shoot him up with steroids and rig a body harness up to hold the calf up where his back would be straight. Doesn't look like it's going to work though.

sorry to hear that.i was thinking it was a broken back.but wasnt sure.you did the best you could for the calf.

brandonm_13":22i7tt3p said:
Well, the results are in. It is a broken spine. The only thing he suggested was to shoot him up with steroids and rig a body harness up to hold the calf up where his back would be straight. Doesn't look like it's going to work though.
this is where you are gonna have to end it then ,no sence dragging the inevitable.

bward":29edz4la said:
Yes do the chiropractor thing. Some 'people' chiropractors also do horses, calves etc. They can do some amazing things in a heart beat. I have had my own chiropractor work on a race horse, a tough pull calf, and a family dog with hip dysplasia. He couldn't help the dog but he cured the horse and the calf.

Chiropractors belong in the same category as "Witch Doctors". Both are equally effective.

Latest posts