Any Clues ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Sawgum

Reaction score
Has anyone seen anything like this? The old girl could not swish her tail. The Vet said he had never seen it before. He ruled out infection. When putting a castrating band in place the thing just popped off and fell to the ground. She seems happy now and can swish with the best of them.
Tailball1.jpg

The Doc pretty much rulled out snakebite. Just dont know. I could not resist trying to figure it out so I cut it open. It dont look like something I would want to BBQ.
Tailball3.jpg

It was not fat but more like grisell. Really tough and hard. The thing weighed about 6 pounds. I tossed the whole mess out and it wasnt touched by any critters at all. The vet could not tell me what it was, but didn't think it was anything to worry about. The cow is fine. I was just wondering if anyone had anything like it with their cows.

Medic24":2lbu4lng said:
Quarter it, plop it on a grill, and add some A1 steak sauce..................yummy :shock:

Medic, I realize that southerners eat a lot of things that aren't considered edible up here, but you're scaring me with this one! :shock: :shock: And yes, I do realize it was tongue in cheek, but still, ewwwwwww!

Susie David":2qxxl23g said:
And you thought that the highway department picked up all that road-kill.

:shock: :shock: I must admit I never thought about that aspect. Please excuse me while I go throw up. :oops: Dave, I could have gotten along for a very long time without that thought. Gross toasties!!!!!

Sawgum":pahj2jxf said:
The Doc pretty much rulled out snakebite. Just dont know. I could not resist trying to figure it out so I cut it open. It dont look like something I would want to BBQ.
Tailball3.jpg

Thank goodness I had eaten supper BEFORE looking at this..... WOW. :mrgreen: Was there blood going through it? I have had growths start growing on tails that had too much manure on it, and the vet said that sometimes maggots and such can cause things to grow on a animal ..... once the growth was cut out or away from the tail the animal was fine. But what you got doesn't even remotely look close to anything I have had on my cows.

No blood to speak of going through it, It bled very little (From the tail) when it did pop off. It was supposed to take a while to come off after banding but came off when the band was being tightened. It took me by suprise when it fell off between my feet and I must admit I jumped. I half expected it to start crying or something.

Sawgum":l1rb6uha said:
No blood to speak of going through it, It bled very little (From the tail) when it did pop off. It was supposed to take a while to come off after banding but came off when the band was being tightened. It took me by suprise when it fell off between my feet and I must admit I jumped. I half expected it to start crying or something.

I think what happened was there was a chunk of manure wrapped around the tail, and shut off the blood flow (tis why its so egg shaped), and became infected, rotted through what was left of the bone -- when you described how it came off, is exactly how a calf's tail came off a couple of years ago, only my calf didn't get the huge blub shape.

i had a cow develop a ball like that on her side one time, it was a little bigger than a baseball. our vet put a rubber band on it and it fell off in just a few days. i never did find it so i cant tell you what it tasted like..,but i would bet it tastes like chicken. couldnt be worse. it may have crawled away for all i know.

by the way, you get the award for "Most Interesting Post for the week of January 8, 2006".

TnWI":31pkm65b said:
Sawgum":31pkm65b said:

I think what happened was there was a chunk of manure wrapped around the tail, and shut off the blood flow (tis why its so egg shaped), and became infected, rotted through what was left of the bone -- when you described how it came off, is exactly how a calf's tail came off a couple of years ago, only my calf didn't get the huge blub shape.

I don't buy it. If it had become infected enough to grow to that size there would have been pus inside or a cyst, due to the body incapsulating a foreign body, and the picture does not indicate that. Not to mention the fact that if the manure ball had cut off blood flow, there wouldn't have been anything growing - except necrotic tissue - and the end of the tail would have fallen off taking this ball shaped thing with it. Looks more like some kind of tumor to me.

msscamp":2l0moeaj said:
TnWI":2l0moeaj said:
Sawgum":2l0moeaj said:

I don't buy it. If it had become infected enough to grow to that size there would have been pus inside or a cyst, due to the body incapsulating a foreign body, and the picture does not indicate that. Not to mention the fact that if the manure ball had cut off blood flow, there wouldn't have been anything growing - except necrotic tissue - and the end of the tail would have fallen off taking this ball shaped thing with it. Looks more like some kind of tumor to me.

I thought thats what that creamy white stuff was in it --- but a picture just doesn't quite cut seeing the real thing. ALTHOUGH this picture was gross enough for me! :D I am surprised the vet didn't ask if he could send some of it in to have a lab test run. I would be curious to know what it is, and what caused it -- just in case.

I've never seen anything like that here and I hope I don't! :shock:

Tumour sounds like the best guess that I've read on here. I would've been interested to know for sure too.

Latest posts