Any cattle feeders here

Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7

Reaction score
I guess due to my location and the lack of corn grown here nobody feeds calves here. Other than the big feedyards but no individuals
I have noticed up in Indiana, Iowa, Illinois and through that area that it seems to be fairly common
I can't seem to get a grasp on how this works
Around here with grazing and very little supplement it's tough to turn a profit
I guess these guys are not backgrounding calves but are finishing fats ?

cross_7":2klll8ad said:
I guess due to my location and the lack of corn grown here nobody feeds calves here. Other than the big feedyards but no individuals
I have noticed up in Indiana, Iowa, Illinois and through that area that it seems to be fairly common
I can't seem to get a grasp on how this works
Around here with grazing and very little supplement it's tough to turn a profit
I guess these guys are not backgrounding calves but are finishing fats ?

Can be doing both. Values of feedstuffs in the corn belt are much different than Texas. With cheaper hay, cornstalks along with byproducts a person can put gain on calves much cheaper than they can where the feed has to be hauled in.

Cross I live in eastern Iowa cattle numbers wise far and away most are those being fed out. Along the river here in the bluff area there a lot of cow calf guys. We used to feed out but then found out we make more backgrounding for 60-90 days and then selling to the local feedlots. What makes it work is that local cattle usually get a premium than shipping in outside cattle which some view as they are taking a little more risk on for a lower price.

Latest posts