Any calves out of G A R Progress

Help Support CattleToday:

Double R Ranch

Reaction score
Hey all,
I am looking at using GAR Progress on some smaller heifers. Does anyone have actual calves out of him or know someone who does? I'm wanting a birth weight idea. I need extremely easy calving for this few I got left to pick sires for.
He is out of G A R Predestined which throws bigger but not HUGE calves.
Thanks
DBL R
P.S. I still don't trust or fully understand birth weight numbers. I bred to a "very Low Birth Weight bull" a couple years ago that had big calves and turned out later to be changed to "not a heifer bull"

We haven't used him personally, but I wouldn't hesitate to.
We rely more on CED than low birth weight for selecting a heifer bull. We once used a bull with a low birth EPD but his CED was pretty low and we had some trouble with the heifers, while on the turn side one of our current heifer bulls has an 85 lb birth weight but a CED of 16 and has given us no trouble at all.
Also the accuracy rating underneath the EPDs will change as more calves are recorded, unless he is a young bull who had been DNA profiled. In that case, his accuracy rating can be pinpointed at a younger age. The higher the accuracy percentage, the more reliable his EPD is. I'll bet that the "very low birth weight bull" had low accuracy when you bred to him, then as progeny were recorded his birth weight EPD changed and his accuracy percentage went higher.

ranchmom77":m2wa2mgs said:
We haven't used him personally, but I wouldn't hesitate to.
We rely more on CED than low birth weight for selecting a heifer bull. We once used a bull with a low birth EPD but his CED was pretty low and we had some trouble with the heifers, while on the turn side one of our current heifer bulls has an 85 lb birth weight but a CED of 16 and has given us no trouble at all.
Also the accuracy rating underneath the EPDs will change as more calves are recorded, unless he is a young bull who had been DNA profiled. In that case, his accuracy rating can be pinpointed at a younger age. The higher the accuracy percentage, the more reliable his EPD is. I'll bet that the "very low birth weight bull" had low accuracy when you bred to him, then as progeny were recorded his birth weight EPD changed and his accuracy percentage went higher.

I sure wish I could figure out/understand EPD's!
That sire did turn out to have low numbers recorded and when he changed to not a heifer bull that was why. I trusted my salesman and I guess he hadn't realized that at the time. (giving the benefit of the doubt ;-))
http://www.selectsiresbeef.com/index.ph ... reed=Angus Here is Progress's Select Sire Page.
He's an 08 calf. I like him and am very happy with my calves and replacements out of his dad. I'm just truly worried about BW on these small heifers. Im sure it will probably be ok. Just want some advice from you all who are more into the EPD's and registered cattle. :) Thanks for the reply!

I think deer valley farm had a few out of him in their past sales. If you go to angus.org you can look at old sale books.

Hey all,
I am looking at using GAR Progress on some smaller heifers. Does anyone have actual calves out of him or know someone who does? I'm wanting a birth weight idea. I need extremely easy calving for this few I got left to pick sires for.
He is out of G A R Predestined which throws bigger but not HUGE calves.
Thanks
DBL R
P.S. I still don't trust or fully understand birth weight numbers. I bred to a "very Low Birth Weight bull" a couple years ago that had big calves and turned out later to be changed to "not a heifer bull"

No problem with Progress ---
Mr Super Low BW Angus = GAR Selective or Rito Tremendous or A A R Ten X --take your pick
You can get sexed Semen off of Ten X at Bovine elite

Latest posts