any advice

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
i am considering using a chianina or a chi cross bul for my simme x angus cows next year i went a bull of the same cross as my cows at first i was unsure of him i primarily chose him for his low birth weight pelvic measurements and high weaning and yearling weight i would like to use a chianina or would a chi cross be a better choice for my cows and heifers. and still havent found a breed for my limo x angus cows, any advice please

What are you tryinhg to do with the calves. I fyou are happy with what you got last time why change now. How many cows do you have, in other words is it worth having a different set of bulls of each cross type.

I would try to find a good SimAngus bull to put on those half blood cows to stabilize the heterosis. It is hard to beat that cross if you can keep it going. The Chianina I have been around where a little leggy and could flat foot a six wire fence. I would use the SimAngus bull on the Limo X Angus females as well. You should be able to find one with good calving ease but if that was a concern perhaps an Angus bull would be the way to go.

ranching hands":1h14d1yx said:
i am considering using a chianina or a chi cross bul for my simme x angus cows next year i went a bull of the same cross as my cows at first i was unsure of him i primarily chose him for his low birth weight pelvic measurements and high weaning and yearling weight i would like to use a chianina or would a chi cross be a better choice for my cows and heifers. and still havent found a breed for my limo x angus cows, any advice please
I would suggest that you carefully analyze your herd - TYPE of cattle (maternal or terminal), the number and the quality of the animals insofar as their Beef characteristics are concerned, then determine what your long term goals are in the Beef Business, and PROJECT AHEAD ten to 12 years in your breeding program - taking into strong consideration what you intend to accomplish at the end of the 12 years.

Your cow herd at the present is a "Duke's Mixture" of breedings, and your selections and choices for that mixture is doing nothing but throwing it all in a blender and hoping that something comes out that you can use. It is like a house that has all four outside walls painted a different color.

It is very difficult - or next to impossible - to stabilize consistency using the helter-skelter methods of selection which you have described here. To be successful in your breeding program, you must first plan your long-term program with a positive purpose in mind, and then determine HOW you propose to achieve the desired results - Breed-wise, Type-wise, and Management-wise.

Requires a LOT of planning and thought!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":11dnbmam said:
ranching hands":11dnbmam said:
I would suggest that you carefully analyze your herd - TYPE of cattle (maternal or terminal), the number and the quality of the animals insofar as their Beef characteristics are concerned, then determine what your long term goals are in the Beef Business, and PROJECT AHEAD ten to 12 years in your breeding program - taking into strong consideration what you intend to accomplish at the end of the 12 years.

Your cow herd at the present is a "Duke's Mixture" of breedings, and your selections and choices for that mixture is doing nothing but throwing it all in a blender and hoping that something comes out that you can use. It is like a house that has all four outside walls painted a different color.

It is very difficult - or next to impossible - to stabilize consistency using the helter-skelter methods of selection which you have described here. To be successful in your breeding program, you must first plan your long-term program with a positive purpose in mind, and then determine HOW you propose to achieve the desired results - Breed-wise, Type-wise, and Management-wise.

DOC HARRIS

or just get an Angus bull! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quality Cattle":23u3txyk said:
3MR":23u3txyk said:
DOC HARRIS":23u3txyk said:
ranching hands":23u3txyk said:

DOC HARRIS

dont know if you have ever shot your self in the foot. if you have and take the above advice you can say you are guilty of the same thing twice.

no better way to shoot yourself in the foot than to fall for the angus and black is best retoric. :cboy:

It was a joke, notice all the laughing smiley faces. Here are two more just to mke it clear. :lol: :lol:

I am a fan of Angus though. They have their place, but they dont take the place of proper planning and arent the end all breed.

Just the best. :lol: :lol: :lol: < notice the smiley faces again.

I do like your shot in the foot comment though. That is pretty good. I think I am going to have to use that for something.

Ok, you win. Angus suck! I give up. I was just trying to make a joke. I had no intention of getting into a serious discussion regarding the pros and cons of Angus. You are intitled to your opinion as I am mine. This has been rehashed so many times on here that it isnt worth the time to type a response. Nobodys mind is going to wind up getting changed.

ranching hands":2xhhqjdu said:

Most Chi cattle are only 5-20% Chi anymore, most are crossed with Angus. I definitely don't think you want an F-1 halfblood or more. They are way too big. Probably should look at another breed.

Quality Cattle":2dzy04xw said:
3MR":2dzy04xw said:
Quality Cattle":2dzy04xw said:
3MR":2dzy04xw said:
DOC HARRIS":2dzy04xw said:
ranching hands":2dzy04xw said:

DOC HARRIS

dont know if you have ever shot your self in the foot. if you have and take the above advice you can say you are guilty of the same thing twice.

no better way to shoot yourself in the foot than to fall for the angus and black is best retoric. :cboy:

It was a joke, notice all the laughing smiley faces. Here are two more just to mke it clear. :lol: :lol:

I am a fan of Angus though. They have their place, but they dont take the place of proper planning and arent the end all breed.

I do like your shot in the foot comment though. That is pretty good. I think I am going to have to use that for something.

Angus are far from the best the only thing that has made it for them is color. In my thinking having to allow yg5s into your program to meet demand does not equate into quality. Its nothing but compromise on standards to acheive numbers.

kind of has a familiar ring to the immigration thing. :p :p

insanity.gif
[/img]

bangheads.gif
[/img]

Ok, Im convinced! It was the immigration argument. I had no idea illegal border crossers and Black cows had so much in common. I just went out and shot all my cows, even my commercial angus crosses. I had no idea Angus had no place at all in the cattle industry, and now that I know I just wont have them on my place.

WORANCH":124pl9z6 said:
Quality Cattle":124pl9z6 said:
3MR":124pl9z6 said:
Quality Cattle":124pl9z6 said:
3MR":124pl9z6 said:
DOC HARRIS":124pl9z6 said:
ranching hands":124pl9z6 said:

DOC HARRIS

Angus are far from the best the only thing that has made it for them is color. In my thinking having to allow yg5s into your program to meet demand does not equate into quality. Its nothing but compromise on standards to acheive numbers.

kind of has a familiar ring to the immigration thing. :p :p

insanity.gif
[/img]

bangheads.gif
[/img]

:nod: :nod: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quality Cattle":2ph4r07p said:
3MR":2ph4r07p said:
Ok, Im convinced! It was the immigration argument. I had no idea illegal border crossers and Black cows had so much in common. I just went out and shot all my cows, even my commercial angus crosses. I had no idea Angus had no place at all in the cattle industry, and now that I know I just wont have them on my place.

what was being addressed is just how for the love of money an industry cab and politicians will sell america and american farmers out. When scrupples go out the window in an industry or political zoo everyone else assumes its ok and follows along. :?:

Nope, that wasnt being discussed. A discussion has two way conversation. You seem to be talking to your self.

What was being discussed was what breed a good bull for semi Angus and limangus cows would be.

3MR":2pn0n6ss said:
Quality Cattle":2pn0n6ss said:
3MR":2pn0n6ss said:

what was being addressed is just how for the love of money an industry cab and politicians will sell america and american farmers out. When scrupples go out the window in an industry or political zoo everyone else assumes its ok and follows along. :?:

Nope, that wasnt being discussed. A discussion has two way conversation. You seem to be talking to your self.

...semi Angus....

Finally, CAB explained in simple terms! :lol: :lol:

Latest posts