Any Advice??? Sick cow

Help Support CattleToday:

AggieSC04

Reaction score
I need some advice on a cow who has been sick for a while. I'm new in the business and although I have an animal science degree I deal mainly with horses and don't remember much from my cattle disease classes. is an older cow in my pasture that has been bloated for several weeks now. She was potentially pregnant so it was originally thought maybe she was carrying twins, but she has never bagged up and it is now past the time she should have calved. Her stomach is so distended and she seems very uncomfortable. She has gone off eating the last week and appears to be losing weight and going down. She doesn't present like a toxic pregnancy and this has been going on over such a period of time nothing I know of really makes sense. I have never seen another cow have a problem like this. Does anyone know what could be wrong with her?

When are you going to have her examined by a veterinarian?

Animal science degree?

Seems like ethics may not have been part of the program.

Bez

The cow doesn't belong to me. She is in with my cows because a neighbor of mine needed more pasture for her and a few others. I have asked him to have a vet look at her, but he isn't interested in doing so. I don't feel like it is my place to take her to a vet for him. My main concern is that it would be something I would have to worry about my cows being around.

If the cow is in your pasture, you are at risk. YOU will have to do the correct thing and have a vet in asap.

If and when this cow finishes suffering and dies - it will be you that is looked upon as the bad guy.

If a dog that you did not own was laying injured in your driveway would you shoot it, help it or ignore it?

Any difference here?

You have choices - you have responsibilities and you have to live up to them. Otherwise tell your neighbour to remove his sickly animals. And tell him to sell what he cannot look after.

I have been raising animals for probably more years than your have been alive. I know they are raised to die. I also know there is not one true cowboy out there that willingly accepts neglect of an animal.

Yeah, I sound righteous and I admit I am not always the best animal keeper - if anyone has made mistakes, it is I. But if it is as bad as you say, I would act.

Got your PM - same answer. Stay well.

Bez

Bez":icfq1pw1 said:
If the cow is in your pasture, you are at risk. YOU will have to do the correct thing and have a vet in asap.

If and when this cow finishes suffering and dies - it will be you that is looked upon as the bad guy.

If a dog that you did not own was laying injured in your driveway would you shoot it, help it or ignore it?

Any difference here?

You have choices - you have responsibilities and you have to live up to them. Otherwise tell your neighbour to remove his sickly animals. And tell him to sell what he cannot look after.

I have been raising animals for probably more years than your have been alive. I know they are raised to die. I also know there is not one true cowboy out there that willingly accepts neglect of an animal.

Yeah, I sound righteous and I admit I am not always the best animal keeper - if anyone has made mistakes, it is I. But if it is as bad as you say, I would act.

Got your PM - same answer. Stay well.

Bez

I have to agree with Bez 100%. I too raise and care for animals more than 30 years . If there is a health issue to which we have no answer then it is our ethical duty to act. Be that a vet or a shoot. Even if the animal does not belong to us but is in our care we must act. Tell your neighbor to get a vet, shoot the animal or/and get it off your property asap. Suffering is not an option. Besides, if you do not know what it is how can you be sure it is not something this cow could pass on to yours? I too studied animal science "zoology" and the first thing we learned is to be vigilant and observe the animals behaviour and pay attention to it.
I know, I sound like a animal rights nuts, but I am not, I make a living as a butcher but I still care for the wellbeing of animals in my care.
Make the right decison and act now, best of luck to you.

Swiss Cowboy :cboy:

Here is my advice. I too have an Animal Science degree and find myself perplexed from time to time (usually something freakish happens and the vet often says why cant you call me out for anything simple?! b/c i can treat simple i say. anyway) Since you dont know what the problem is or how to treat it yourself, call a vet to come examine her or take her to one. If your neighbor wants his cow back he can pay her vet bill. Otherwise sell her and pay off the vet bill, take a little out for your troubles and (if your nice) deliver the remainder to your neighbor. thats what i would do and have done in the past.

We had an ethisist at Colorado State that worked closely with the Animal Science Department. He was one hell of a guy...not your typical farm hand...in fact he would refer to himself as the Jewish guy from New York wondering how he ended up where he was. Having he and Temple Gradin in one place was an amazing experience...I digress..............................
He had a good attitude toward the whole livestock industry. Gave a great perspective from an outsider looking in....east coast attitudes ect. He would often say that the worst thing that ever happened to the livestock industry is that the word "production" replaced the word "husbandry". Your neighbor sounds like a prime exaplme of this. How sad for the rest of us that still hold the principle of animal husbandry in our lives. I commend you for calling the vet and wish that those looking in would catch wind of the good guys once and awhile. MK

AggieSC04":128w161z said:
The cow doesn't belong to me. She is in with my cows because a neighbor of mine needed more pasture for her and a few others. I have asked him to have a vet look at her, but he isn't interested in doing so. I don't feel like it is my place to take her to a vet for him. My main concern is that it would be something I would have to worry about my cows being around.
Tell you neighbor of your concerns about YOUR cattle! Have your neighbor get the cow out of your pasture. While he is moving the cow, have him move her to a vet. NOW!

Aggie, please let us know what the vet found out for you, we can all learn from this you know.......

And by the way, Yes I too studied animal sciences......I commuted to and worked in downtown NYC for a few years,,,, and if you can't figure out that it's full of animals by then....................... :roll:

Medic24":xtmqiz2r said:
Aggie, please let us know what the vet found out for you, we can all learn from this you know.......

And by the way, Yes I too studied animal sciences......I commuted to and worked in downtown NYC for a few years,,,, and if you can't figure out that it's full of animals by then....................... :roll:
Medic - Your experiences with the animals in NYC undoubtedly strengthened your immune system and optimized your reticuloendothelial system - to the MAX! I admire and respect your perseverance!

Medic Said:

Medic - Your experiences with the animals in NYC undoubtedly strengthened your immune system and optimized your reticuloendothelial system - to the MAX! I admire and respect your perseverance!

What's that big word mean, reti blah blah blah ?

Dick

icandoit":1m27iapt said:
Medic Said:

What's that big word mean, reti blah blah blah ?

Dick
- - - -Reticuloendothelial System - -(Immune System) Look it up. The dictionary has ALL kinds of interesting and educational words in it.

Latest posts