Any advice on kick starting heat cycles

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
Last calf of the season dropped yesterday morning, planning on putting the bull in with them on June 1st. I would like to move the calving season up three or four weeks. When I AI I use a synch that calls for CIDR's, lute and GnRH. If I do it I would like a simple one or two shot series? I also need to know when to expect them to start showing heat. Is it a simple as a shot of Lute and followed by a shot of GnRH in a few days? Thanks, Alan

GnRH then 7 days later lute and they'll start cycling within 3-4 days following the lute.

dun":288ta61h said:
GnRH then 7 days later lute and they'll start cycling within 3-4 days following the lute.

Any experience on how soon you can do this? Have 6 that are going to calf late but once they go to grass I'm not catching them again. Would have to give them a shot with a pretty young calf.

Jake":2mxes0c0 said:
dun":2mxes0c0 said:

Any experience on how soon you can do this? Have 6 that are going to calf late but once they go to grass I'm not catching them again. Would have to give them a shot with a pretty young calf.
I'ld do it about a month after calving. Not because they wouldn;t cycle but to let the uterus get back into shape to carry another calf.

Cidrs are the best way to cycle cows early. Lut only works if they're able to build a cl and most early lactation cows can't. The progesterone from the cidr is what makes them so effective as it builds a cl for the lut to work on.

cow pollinater":14vwnwwo said:
Cidrs are the best way to cycle cows early. Lut only works if they're able to build a cl and most early lactation cows can't. The progesterone from the cidr is what makes them so effective as it builds a cl for the lut to work on.

2X

An AI infomerical claimed that using cidr's increased income $123 per cow. They forgot about the slide and feed costs... They admitted there was some labor needed.

I view cidrs as a low cost way to get a group of quality AI heifer calves.

Latest posts