Ants

Help Support CattleToday:

Calman

Reaction score
Has any one ever had any luck getting rid of these texas red harverster ants.
Seems like they are taking over this year.

Thanks Cal

Good luck! Remember when the ag folks said to use Amdro? Didn't work. Of course that was mainly for Fire Ants but the larger ants were supposed to pick up on too. The only two things I've seen work, besides spending a whole lot of money on pesticides, is ground tillage or planting WW B-Dahl Bluestem. I don't why this Bluestem repels them but it does.

http://gods001.rw.ttu.edu/dept/newslett ... ations.pdf

Calman":2akoao8x said:
Has any one ever had any luck getting rid of these texas red harverster ants.
Seems like they are taking over this year.

Thanks Cal

Yep I wiped them out around here.
Now this is going to take some work, I use a pump up sprayer with pyrethrin 10% and spray it down the hole dead mound.
Now most mounds have two holes. You hit them hard go back in about a week and you will see the ones you missed.

Thanks James and CB.
Kinda hard to believe we're the only ones that's had problems with them.

Cal

Thanks CB I just bought some today and will try this tomorrow.
What formula did you use in mixing it?
I used amdro and the only thing it seems to do is move them over about 20 ft and they start again.

Cal

Calman":2vmfonwr said:
Thanks CB I just bought some today and will try this tomorrow.
What formula did you use in mixing it?
I used amdro and the only thing it seems to do is move them over about 20 ft and they start again.

Cal

I double the dose per gallon in a pump up sprayer and give each hole a good shot.
Kills em Black Flag Dead.

I know acetane powder sprinkled will kill a fire ant mound ded in one day, and liquid 7 poured down a mound entrance provides instant gratification too, but that would get expensive.
Ant mound tunnels are made to drain water away from the brood hatch area, and can handle a normal rainfall pretty good, but not a large amount right in the entrance holes. For liquid sevin on fire ant mounds, the recommended volume is one gallon.
Harvester ants--dunno. I don't have 'em. Fire ants kept their food source eaten down and the harvesters left or starved.

Latest posts