Antifreeze

Help Support CattleToday:

rnh2

Reaction score
Need to reballast a 14.8/28 tire. Figured I need 12-13 gallons of anti freeze for 50/50 mix. What are the alternatives where to buy how much? Some suggested rim guard or beet juice. Tia

All the Ag tire places around here use calcium chloride. Need to use a tube. That stuff will eat right through a rim.

Calcuim chloride will give you the most weightby volume. But it is highly corrosive. Beet juice weighs less . If you decide to use calcuim you can stay tubeless you just will need to fill above rim level. I dealing wirh liquid in the tires i would recomend filling at least 75% full. You can put over 50 gallons of fluid in a 14.9-28

Beet juice actually weighs more than calcium chloride. I've used both as well as windshield washer fluid. Windshield washer fluid is what I'll be using from now on. Calcium chloride would be my second choice, I'll never use beet juice again.

Beet juice actually weighs more than calcium chloride. I've used both as well as windshield washer fluid. Windshield washer fluid is what I'll be using from now on. Calcium chloride would be my second choice, I'll never use beet juice again.
Mind if I ask why you didn't like the beet juice? Never used it myself.

RV antifreeze is popular since it's a good bit cheaper than automotive antifreeze, same with washer fluid.

It only weighs 8lbs a gallon though. Beet juice and calcium are 10-11.

Mind if I ask why you didn't like the beet juice? Never used it myself.
The stuff is an unbelievable sticky mess if you ever have a leak, and it stinks. I always hear people claim how calcium will kill your grass if you have a leak, but never mention beet juice. It's 10x worse than calcium for the grass/soil. I had a valve stem tear a couple summers ago, and STILL can't get grass to grow where it leaked. There are finally some weeds growing there, for the first year it was bare dirt. I've had a couple leaks with calcium and within a few months I can't even see where it happened. For just the few lbs of extra weight, I don't see it being worth the hassle or cost.

Calcium is a wee bit heavier than beet juice (11 lbs per gallon vs. 11.3) according to what I've read. Calcium is cheaper, and has a freezing point I can live with, beet juice doesn't get close.

Latest posts