Anti Virus Scam?

Help Support CattleToday:

CKC1586

Reaction score
Have any of you ever had a anti virus deal pop up on your computer that you couldn't get rid of? It tells me that my system is under attack and I have to down load their deal etc and I can't get it to leave without logging out...it is totalvirusscanc3????????

CKC1586":ktgchkdx said:
Have any of you ever had a anti virus deal pop up on your computer that you couldn't get rid of? It tells me that my system is under attack and I have to down load their deal etc and I can't get it to leave without logging out...it is totalvirusscanc3????????

There was one a while back that looked like an official warning from microsoft. If you downloaded it you're whole system was corrupted

CKC1586":w7nlvng8 said:
Holy Crap!!!! I hope this one isn't it! I wonder if there is a geek squad in my area.....

If its the same one I got it won't matter. The one i got sounds similar came up with a message. The a Windows message came up warning me it was infected but the windows message had red color in it and was not from microsoft. Also in the bottom right there was an icon that looked similar to windows that was red. If you catch it early enough you can fix it. Its important to delete all history information throughout the computer and then you can do a system restore. But if its had time it has sent trash all through your computer and you will have to reformat. It actually doesn't damage your stuff it just replicates stuff until you no longer have any memory. The virus I got went right past Norton like it wasn't there. Good luck.

A Word to the Wise:

Don't click on or go to any site that aledges that it is an "official" warning or "fix". If you have anti-virus software installed it should show whether or not you are protected. We use the AVG program which scans and updates daily. It has about 12 different areas it protects on our computer. Unless there are "red flags" on any category, we are protected.

Other caveat: Don't click on any site that you aren't familiar with, no matter how official they look. And, definitely do not open or click options on any bank, credit card, etc., site that pops up. YOU should be the one that first goes to these sites, entering the website address.

Hackers and spammers are extremely sophisticated, evil, sociopathic, etc.........

Running Arrow Bill":1gyh602b said:
A Word to the Wise:

Don't click on or go to any site that aledges that it is an "official" warning or "fix". If you have anti-virus software installed it should show whether or not you are protected. We use the AVG program which scans and updates daily. It has about 12 different areas it protects on our computer. Unless there are "red flags" on any category, we are protected.

Other caveat: Don't click on any site that you aren't familiar with, no matter how official they look. And, definitely do not open or click options on any bank, credit card, etc., site that pops up. YOU should be the one that first goes to these sites, entering the website address.

Hackers and spammers are extremely sophisticated, evil, sociopathic, etc.........

If you have the free version of AVG you aren;t all that well protected. I used it for a long time and finally came up with a strange problem. Turned out that AVG hadn;t caught a trojan.

dun":ynupsxz7 said:
Running Arrow Bill":ynupsxz7 said:
A Word to the Wise:

If you have the free version of AVG you aren;t all that well protected. I used it for a long time and finally came up with a strange problem. Turned out that AVG hadn;t caught a trojan.

Several years ago we started with the free version. Then, went to the Professional paid for version. Anyone interested should check their website (I don't remember the web address...sorry).

Found out it is scareware and this is the reply (one of em) I got about it:

This is a repost for those who missed it.....

Simply close those browser through Task Manager by keying in Ctrl+Alt+Del. For XP users, simply highlight iexplore.exe and hit End Process, and do another one. Usually, there are 2 iexplore.exe running at the same time- End both. For Vista users, key in Ctrl+Alt+Del, and select Start Task Manager, and follow the directions for XP users above. Then, go to Internet Explorer's Tools/Internet Options. Select "Security" Tab, and click on "Restricted Sites" icon in the box, then click the "Sites" button. The popup will show you the add/remove of the restricted sites. Type in the address you want to restrict, then click "Add". The restricted sites you want to add is: 69.4.230.205

Also add, if you like:

firstspywarescannerv1.com
totalvirusscanc3.com
advancedspywarescan.com
advanedspywarescan.com
antivirusfolderscanv3.com
antivirusfolderscanv5.com
antivirusscannerv9.com
personalonlinescanv3.com
power-virus-scannerv2.com
securefolderscannerv6.com
spywarefastscannerv6.com
totalsecurityscannerv3.com
iad2-virt6.liquidgravity.com

That should help you ward them off. If you get the scareware again, write down the address, then close the browsers via Task Manager, and do the restricted site procedure. Painful, but a little will go a long way, until the anti-virus or adware softwares get developed to include scareware.

CKC1586":1vbwb1c3 said:

Had that happen last year. Once it installs itself you can't get rid of it. It had an option not to install and it will still install anyway. Had to get it debugged by a professinal. We have Mcaffee now and it will isolate them. But when you go to log off and there is a little shield, looks like a microsoft thing but isn't, I do a hard log off. It's the only way not to have it install. I;ve also learned not to use the Bing search engine. Mcaffee won't let you look at anything if you use it.

It will ask for your credit card number too, so be careful.

I got nailed on the "fakealert" virus. It looks like it may have fried my sound card. That's gonna be costly :mad: