Another Stupid mistake! (when will I learn)

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Well me (and vet) made another stupid mistake this week. I had Cidr's put in 3 show heifers last week and we pulled them over weekend. Well one of the heifers was showing blood which made me think I missed her coming into heat.

So I took her to vet today to check the situation out. Turns out she was two months pregnant and the calf was aborted due to the Cidr process.

I knew the bull got in with the heifers for a few hours one day, but he was riding a different heifer when I saw him. I assumed she was the one in heat and I gave her a Lut shot to abort. But assumed others were ok since I witnessed it.

Dad told me never assume on things. I should have gave all of them a Lut shot. And I would have thought vet would have checked her when he was putting Cidr in.

Wasted money and time, not to mention messing with her reproductive system. :(

I'm sorry, aplus. :( In all honesty(and at the risk of sounding like I'm rubbing it in - which I'm NOT), why would the vet check if you didn't give him a heads up? He only knows what the owner tells him, and you didn't know the heifer had been bred. Chalk it up to experience and the learning curve - it will stand you in good stead the next time. I see absolutely no point in kicking yourself over it now, because it isn't going to change anything. Learn from it, and move on. ;-)

msscamp":27okij2s said:
I'm sorry, aplus. :( In all honesty(and at the risk of sounding like I'm rubbing it in - which I'm NOT), why would the vet check if you didn't give him a heads up? He only knows what the owner tells him, and you didn't know the heifer had been bred. Chalk it up to experience and the learning curve - it will stand you in good stead the next time. I see absolutely no point in kicking yourself over it now, because it isn't going to change anything. Learn from it, and move on. ;-)

You are right, I should have thought of the Lut and had him check before hand. In past he has always checked any females I am breeding to see if they are ready. I dunno if what he feels would show pregnancy or not but he has always told me rather the heifers are ovulating or ready. Like I said I don't know what he is feeling when he does this.

But my biggest mistake was assuming stuff. I should have been on top of all possibilities. Everytime I try thinking I know how things are I get thrown a mental curve ball. :(

aplusmnt":1zed150c said:
msscamp":1zed150c said:

You are right, I should have thought of the Lut and had him check before hand. In past he has always checked any females I am breeding to see if they are ready. I dunno if what he feels would show pregnancy or not but he has always told me rather the heifers are ovulating or ready. Like I said I don't know what he is feeling when he does this.

But my biggest mistake was assuming stuff. I should have been on top of all possibilities. Everytime I try thinking I know how things are I get thrown a mental curve ball. :(

Don't you dare go getting discouraged! You did the best you could - I do not doubt that for a moment! You made an honest mistake - it comes with the territory, this business throws curve balls at people who have been doing it their entire lives! The fact that he used to do it and doesn't now tells me you've made some amazing strides and he doesn't feel the need to cover your butt anymore - so to speak. Does that make sense? Change your paradigm, aplus, and do it now! ;-) :)

assumption is the mother of all f---ups.

I would think it would be standard practice for the vet to check for pregnancy.

The vet would feel the uterus for possible infection and to check for abnormalities as well as the ovaries to determine whether the heifers are cycling or not. He should have picked up that she was in calf, at two months it is very easy to feel, the one horn of the uterus will feel like a big banana, while the other would be normal size.

Kick the vet, not yourself, he is suppose to be the professional.

KNERSIE":ph63qto7 said:
I would think it would be standard practice for the vet to check for pregnancy.

Why would he? Since he was supposed to use CIDRS to synch them normally one would think that the owner was aware of if they were cyclling or not. Since manipulation of the cervix or ovaarys isn;t required to put it in, how could he be expected to palpate her repro tract unless asked/told to.

dun

Why would he? Since he was supposed to use CIDRS to synch them normally one would think that the owner was aware of if they were cyclling or not. Since manipulation of the cervix or ovaarys isn;t required to put it in, how could he be expected to palpate her repro tract unless asked/told to.

dun

On the few occassions that I had the vet/AI tech out for synchro they palpated the heifer everytime, even when using CIDRs. It takes so little time, that its nonsensical to me to risk the chance if there is a possibility of pregnancy.

The vet's comment was that he'd rather be safe than look foolish when the heifer aborts.[/quote]

We have had the same thing happen. Not using CIDR's, but we were syncronizing our heifers with estrumate. Didn't have a clue that the one heifer was pregnant, and about 8 months pregnant to boot. She'd been bred at about 5-6 months old. Went out the next morning and found a fully developed calf laying there. Might have lived if it hadn't been such a cold windy night when it was born. Live and learn. It happens, and there is nothing you can do about it unless you are going to either lute or pregcheck them all if you suspect anything.

Vet said he usually does glove them, and I knew he did all in past. But like he said I told him they were good to cidr and we were running them in and out the chute pretty quick.

In the end I have to accept the responsibility. I knew the bull got in with her but since I saw him riding a different heifer I assumed she was the reason he was in. Plus who knows maybe he got in and back out when I did not notice it on another day.

Learned my lesson and now I will take charge of my own fate in future.

Upside is I did get to see what a 2-3 month old developed calf looks like.

Curious how far back this will throw her on cycling and getting preg again? Any ideas on that? How bad will all the drugs, cidr and abortion hurt her reproductive system?

give her 45 days and she should be ready to breed again. She'll very likely not clean out for a few days, yet.

Hormones shouldn't have a lasting effect, getting the uterus back in breeding shape will be the deciding factor.

We used a CIDR on a heifer that I showing so she wouldn't come in heat during a show (she's a BEAST in heat) and it did screw her cycling up. :( Last time I'll do that! She was on a regular cycle until that. It took her about 3 months to get bred.

Latest posts