Another stumped..Part II

Help Support CattleToday:

Medic24

Reaction score
Well, while I was away for several days a couple of weeks ago, and this is always when it happens...my hired help didn't put out enough hay etc to kkep the cattle occupied and happy....so, they found and made some holes in the fences in various places and of course went to the new housing development and tore all too bloody h*ll the new grasses, burms, shrubs, and even tore down most of the silt fencing...needles to say.... some folks arent happy, and it won't be inexpensive to fix.................and I am fixing it as fast as I can....and got rid of several of the offenders....
BUT.............darn it, I can't find at least one place where they are still getting out.......almost a daily basis they are out and walking about in the yard, along the drive way etc.........we had snow the other day, and I even tried back tracking.... still nothing..........now granted...these fences arent new or perfect...but...they are mostly high and taunt...and i just cant find anything... anyone else have a like story with a solution? :cboy:

A good hot wire along the inside of the fence helped me stop some of the girls who thought they had to go to town shopping every day.

Well, years ago we had a bull that could get out in a New York minute and since he had a 8 foot trace chain in his nose the jumping the fence is out. One day I caught him in the pasture next door, caught his chain and walked him home down the public road and when I turn him back in the pasture he started back to the pasture next door. I followed him somewhat put out to say the least when he got to the back corner he walked the fence a time or two and then put his head under the bottom wire and walked through with about two posts on either side coming up out of the ground and when he cleared the fence they went back down in their holes like nothing happened. I promply went back to the house for a shovel and packed several postholes. Check your fence posts to see if all are packed tight.

Phil

hot wire for me ,I only run one wire around my pastures with a 30 mile fencer, they learn real quick.

Are you sure you got all of them back in or if they are even your cattle? Just a question, we used to catch crap all the time for someone elses cattle a couple miles away getting out and disoriented. After they got past their eating they just looked for something that resembled their buddies and tromped through all the neighbors yards trying to get in with our cows. one time they actually did get in, took several weeks to figure that one out.

Sizmic

Yup, My cattle alright...I can recognize em anywhere.........plus I am one of the few farmers left in the area that have not sold out to second home housing developers........That is what is now getting me into trouble, as I am no longer surrounded by woodland and open fields......but million dollar homes etc.

I will continue the search, and as soon as time permits, I am setting up an electric strand around the outside fences.........half tempted to hook up household current for the first few days...but guess that would be a bit cruel, not to mention rather dangerous to any and all.....especially my own dogs........But I bet the coyotes and wild pigs would learn some quick respect if they survived the experience. Would be kinda nice if my new high class neighbors got a humbling lesson or two as well....... :lol: :cboy:

My ex-bull was very adept at going under almost any barrier-fences, gates, portable panels, etc., even electrified fences, and wrecking everything pretty badly in the process.

He has since moved on to the hamburger store.......

Medic24":2f6nzvqn said:
half tempted to hook up household current for the first few days...but guess that would be a bit cruel, not to mention rather dangerous to any and all.....

I know you said that as a joke, but don't even think it. Best way I know of to not have a farm tomorrow.

Get you a fence charger that is rated for many more miles of wire than you are installing. I run a 200 mile charger on 15 miles of fence and let me tell you... I'd rather get hit with a dose of 110 than my fence. Cows and humans alike fear this fence, but it won't kill you....

Jim62":2rm2318l said:
My ex-bull was very adept at going under almost any barrier-fences, gates, portable panels, etc., even electrified fences, and wrecking everything pretty badly in the process.

He has since moved on to the hamburger store.......

Yep... culling's the best cure for a fence jumper... won't keep them around because they'll teach the whole herd to do it... And once they learn how ain't nothing that'll keep em in.... JMHO! OL JR :)

Well, I am now confident that I have fixed all of the possible NORMAL excape routes..................and now that we are getting snow, and I still get a few out, I have the evidence that I trully do have a few jumpers..... so.... today.... the culling begins................. :cboy:

The neighbor had a bunch of Holstein heifers in a pasture adjoing ours. The fence was a normal field fence with 2 strands of barb on top and a single hot wire on our side. Every 18 days one heifer would be over here chasing our gomer. For months we checked fences and never could find the spot. One night we got about 6 inches of snow and sure enough she was over visiting. I went down and walked the fence and found where she had jumped the fence. And not a piddly jump either, probably covered close to 8 feet from take off to landing. That evening she was back where she belonged and I saw the same thing in another spot. I AIed her for him, she settled and never came back.

Latest posts