Another one...

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
Don't tell me this is another abcess (steer on rhs)??

DSCF0457.JPG

IluvABbeef":3a34mbav said:
Don't tell me this is another abcess (steer on rhs)??

Ok, I won't tell you that, but it does tend to look like an abcess - sorry.

cowvet":2m5xp8de said:
...or a haematoma from a good knock.
:?: :?: :?:

MsScamp, I had the thought that an abcess would look more sort of roundish, but this ain't all that roundish. More squarish than anything... :???:

cattleluvr, I watched him try to lick himself and it looked like it was painful. I personally don't know what causes it, but maybe someone else on here with a bit more knowledge than me can...

could it be a reaction from a vaccination site? I've never seen it so big , but it looks the right area.

I've seen it before-- when you inject anything you take a chance of a piece of the rubber from the stopper getting injected too.
Lay odds thats what happened. Go low and lance it(nice big cut) and it will be over with.
If you want to know for sure that lancing is needed you can take a sixteen guage needle and asperate it- looking for the pus and blood.

I few years ago I got some bad horse vacc. Gave it to 4 of my horses, all 4 abcessed. As the post above said lance it, I used a 16 g needle made several holes low in the abscess and squeezed away. Not for a weak stomach, back it up with some pen.

JMO,
Alan

That's strange...I think the last time the calves were run through were about a couple months ago..the lump's right over his leg, not on his neck, and I know Dad doesn't needle THAT low. So I don't think it's a reaction to needling.

Here's a better pic I took of him this morning:
DSCF0465.JPG

Gives yall a better idea of the location. We do the needling about a foot higher than where that lump is.[/img]

After looking at the second pic, I'm thinking along the lines of cowvet. Looks like he took a hit/kick from one of his pature mates.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":2jyn7ahl said:
After looking at the second pic, I'm thinking along the lines of cowvet. Looks like he took a hit/kick from one of his pature mates.

Katherine

This is the first time I saw the pics and I would agree also hematoma. Lancing without knowing what the heck you are dealing with could result in infection or death.
Syd

It is alot further back than the first picture looked like.........
As far as being low- the collection is always lower than the injection(infection) site. But going to the back side of the leg doesn't fit.

If it were my animal, the first thing that I'd do is to find out what is in there...16ga needle and see if it is blood, puss or a solid mass. That will determine your next action..could have to open it up and flush it out. Good luck. DMc

You haven't said whether or not that you have called the vet out yet.
Looks a lot like an abcess.
Had a calf last summer get a chin full of porcupine quills. Even after pulling them she ended up with an abcess there and the vet had to come and lance it. It went from her chin to her jaw line.
Good luck.

IluvABbeef":1kbyxxz3 said:
cowvet":1kbyxxz3 said:
...or a haematoma from a good knock.
:?: :?: :?:

MsScamp, I had the thought that an abcess would look more sort of roundish, but this ain't all that roundish. More squarish than anything... :???:

cattleluvr, I watched him try to lick himself and it looked like it was painful. I personally don't know what causes it, but maybe someone else on here with a bit more knowledge than me can...

Usually they are more roundish, but they can also be odd-shaped - it just depends on where they are and how they develop. Since you posted the second picture, I'm not sure if it's an abcess or a hematoma. Have you felt it? Is it soft or hard? Attached or moveable? He could have picked up a splinter from rubbing or roughhousing with his herd mates. It could also be possible that it is from an injection, and just localized where it is. I would think, as big as it is, if it were a hematoma he would be/would have been limping - but I don't know that for a fact. I think I would confine him, find out if it's hard, or soft and squishy, and go from there. I hope this helps.

Regardless of what it is... if you are going to stick a needle in to see what comes out you need to be very careful - or you will introduce bacteria and it will turn into an abscess. If testing a lump such as this I will ALWAYS clip the area and prepare it as I would for sterile surgery - then use a NEW/sterile needle and syringe. If it is a haematoma/seroma I would probably leave it alone, if it was an abscess I would drain from the lowest point.

BUT this area in front of the shoulder/scapula has a large lymph node that you don't want to go stabbing. I wouldn't advise going near it with anything bigger than a needle unless you know your anatomy!!!

EVEN WORSE STILL...it could be an enlarged joint capsule from the shoulder joint - and you don't want to be going near one of those by yourself...at all!!!!

I haven't thought of calling the vet, mostly 'cause of what they charge when they come out.

I haven't felt it, since he won't let me come close enough, and my folks haven't noticed it before, until I said something about it and showed them a pic.

We (me and Dad) will see if we can pull him out today and run him through, and when we do, we'll just feel the lump, and give him some penicillin, but we won't try to lance it.

That time when I saw him try to lick himself it looked almost like it was a solid mass, and the shape of it, especially, was peculiar-looking. I've also watched him walk, and there's no limpiness showing. So, correct me if I'm wrong; if it's soft and squishy it's and abcess, if it's hard it's either a haemotoma, or an enlarged joint capsule...what if it's a tumor?? :(

If you get him in the chute why not stick in a needle to see what comes out? I wouldn't give any pen unless there is heat/temp/infection.

I separated him today so's I could watch him. I was wrong about him not limping, cause he's got a slight limp as he walks, and he was licking at the lump too so obviously it's pretty sore. Abcesses aren't really sorespots now are they? If not, then I'm thinking now he's got a haemotoma. Still haven't felt it yet, but that's my guess.

Now I'm asking about treatment for it...?

sidney411":2upm3ykr said:
If you get him in the chute why not stick in a needle to see what comes out? I wouldn't give any pen unless there is heat/temp/infection.

...because if you introduce bacteria via your needle it will become an abscess if it isn't already. Worse still if you introduce bacteria into the joint....

Latest posts