Another oil thread..........

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
The Mobil 1 oil on the left is $29.95 and the Super Tech on the right is $15.95. I like to use good oil, but from reading on the back is the Mobil 1 almost twice as good? If the Mobil 1 was $5 more that is 4-sure what I would get. I know Super Tech is not Nascar endorsed.

MAiqwra.jpg

Mobil 1
hUZZMBy.jpg

Super Tech
Qo5MPWW.jpg

TennesseeTuxedo":1wbjx4w1 said:
What have you been putting in my truck?
That truck always gets 15-40 Shell Rotella with a Motorcraft FL1995 Oil Filter. I put 1700 miles on it last year and the oil gets change yearly, unless needed more which has never happened. It didn't even get rained on. Between the kids, mother, sister, mine and others I change their oil, I use a lot and I keep eyeing this Super Tech as I like the other products I have used Super Tech.

From reading on the back of these oil jugs I see the same meet or exceed requirements. Am I just paying for the Mobil name.

I use the super tech in all the vehicles that I have. Since I got the 2000 Subaru @ 180,000, and went to 287,000 when I blew the engine, I can't say that it hurt it any. Putting another engine in it now. Use it in the 95 ranger with over 200,000, and the old 4x4 84 ranger than I just use around the farm. Haven't had any mechanic tell me that it is a "lessor" grade. I'm like you jltrent, does anyone have any real statistics to say the name brands are really better? I can afford to do oil changes every 4-6 weeks in the car when I am testing alot, using the super tech.... and I use whatever oil filter I can get and buy when they are on sale and keep a couple extras.
I am not sure what all my son uses in the diesels, except I know I have gotten him Rotella when it has been on sale....I'd have to look at the jug to see exactly what it is I get him. I'm the "gopher"... I go fer this and go fer that. We do use the generic hydraulic fluid all the time....

jltrent":36vn943j said:
The Mobil 1 oil on the left is $29.95 and the Super Tech on the right is $15.95. I like to use good oil, but from reading on the back is the Mobil 1 almost twice as good? If the Mobil 1 was $5 more that is 4-sure what I would get. I know Super Tech is not Nascar endorsed.

MAiqwra.jpg

Mobil 1
hUZZMBy.jpg

Super Tech
Qo5MPWW.jpg

All have to meet minimum API standards . Not all have the same detergent package.

jltrent":1potjtor said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1potjtor said:
That truck always gets 15-40 Shell Rotella with a Motorcraft FL1995 Oil Filter. I put 1700 miles on it last year and the oil gets change yearly, unless needed more which has never happened. It didn't even get rained on. Between the kids, mother, sister, mine and others I change their oil, I use a lot and I keep eyeing this Super Tech as I like the other products I have used Super Tech.

From reading on the back of these oil jugs I see the same meet or exceed requirements. Am I just paying for the Mobil name.
Do you pump the oil out of the injection pump also on your 7.3? I've been running synthetic Rotella T6 in my 7.3 sure starts easy when its cold and I might be getting a little better fuel mileage. The 7.3 powerstroke was the big dog in its day, now it's a pussy cat.

I've been using the supertech stuff for years. The website bobistheoilguy.com has pretty good forum discussion on the stuff too.

True Grit Farms":wp5rbxg9 said:
jltrent":wp5rbxg9 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":wp5rbxg9 said:

Do you pump the oil out of the injection pump also on your 7.3? I've been running synthetic Rotella T6 in my 7.3 sure starts easy when its cold and I might be getting a little better fuel mileage. The 7.3 powerstroke was the big dog in its day, now it's a be nice cat.

Whatever comes out of the drain plug hole and in the filter is what I change and during cold weather I have another gas truck I use mostly, unless I am towing then I use the diesel. Compared to the HP and torque numbers of the new trucks the 17 year old truck doesn't match them, but for what I haul it is all I need. With the cost of the new trucks and all the BS on them I will just drag azz behind them, but I want be far behind.

Found this from another thread........as it looks like Super tech is a Pennzoil-Quaker State products...it should be good... How can they sell it so much cheaper as I know they are making money on the oil?

I emailed Pennzoil-Quaker State and asked them if they made Wal-Mart SuperTech motor oil and this is what they said:

"Thank you for your interest in our Pennzoil-Quaker State products. We provide a service for Wal Mart by bottling oil for them. This is the Wal Mart brand Super Tech oil. For this service Wal Mart pays us a fee. We blend the oil to the specifications that Wal Mart provides us with and we in turn guarantee that the oil we bottle for Wal Mart will meet these specifications. We use the base stock oils that we have at our blending facilities to accomplish this task. We also use our additives necessary to meet the specifications set for us by Wal Mart.
Sincerely
Alen Hewson"

So I guess that pretty much means that there is Quaker State in the SuperTech bottle. Any comments?

jltrent":3keeekln said:
Found this from another thread........as it looks like Super tech is a Pennzoil-Quaker State products...it should be good... How can they sell it so much cheaper as I know they are making money on the oil?

I emailed Pennzoil-Quaker State and asked them if they made Wal-Mart SuperTech motor oil and this is what they said:

"Thank you for your interest in our Pennzoil-Quaker State products. We provide a service for Wal Mart by bottling oil for them. This is the Wal Mart brand Super Tech oil. For this service Wal Mart pays us a fee. We blend the oil to the specifications that Wal Mart provides us with and we in turn guarantee that the oil we bottle for Wal Mart will meet these specifications. We use the base stock oils that we have at our blending facilities to accomplish this task. We also use our additives necessary to meet the specifications set for us by Wal Mart.
Sincerely
Alen Hewson"

So I guess that pretty much means that there is Quaker State in the SuperTech bottle. Any comments?

It means the oil in the SuperTech bottle meets Walmart specs.

Allenw":1agdg3fq said:
jltrent":1agdg3fq said:

Sincerely
Alen Hewson"

It means the oil in the SuperTech bottle meets Walmart specs.

Got that right it will meet minimum API standards. You have no clue of the additive package . You can bet it's not proprietary Quaker State a division of
Royal Dutch Shell .

jltrent":1v2aqe6q said:

Sincerely
Alen Hewson"

I would not put any thing in my vehicle that meets Wal-Mart's standards. Have you been to Wal-Mart?

I still have my receipt as it may go back. The Walmart minimum standards I do not like the sound of. Thanks everybody.

Hook2.0":mybce1ux said:
I've been using rotella in all my vehicles and equipment for 15 years. No problems

The only problem I have had with Rotella was with their Hydraulic oil. I am not real close to a JD dealer so I though I would put their best grade of Rotella Hydraulic oil in my JD last year when I change it as it says on the bucket JD compatible. I had maybe ten hours on the tractor and the brakes started squawking. I went immediately and drain it all out and got JD Hygard with a new filter again and the brakes are normal now with probably at least 100 hours since on the tractor. The Rotella was $69 a 5 gallon bucket almost as high as the Hygard. I would not recommend their hydraulic oil.

Latest posts