Another mineral question

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
I bought some the other day , they were out of my regular stuff . It's an ADM product , Summer fly mineral . Normally I don't use the fly stuff just spray permethrin mix topically and back rubs. When I got home I read the tag, and it contains monensin, with a warning , and my interpretation is that it's made to be mixed with feed . Has anyone used this product as free choice? I certainly don't need any preventable mortality . I can take it back .

snoopdog":25kl4obp said:
I bought some the other day , they were out of my regular stuff . It's an ADM product , Summer fly mineral . Normally I don't use the fly stuff just spray permethrin mix topically and back rubs. When I got home I read the tag, and it contains monensin, with a warning , and my interpretation is that it's made to be mixed with feed . Has anyone used this product as free choice? I certainly don't need any preventable mortality . I can take it back .
The warning is probably for horses. Monensin is fed to cattle almost from birth. It increases feed utilization thus increasing the rate of gain. What is the level of Monensin shown on the tag.

TexasBred":2n2r1kqr said:
snoopdog":2n2r1kqr said:
The warning is probably for horses. Monensin is fed to cattle almost from birth. It increases feed utilization thus increasing the rate of gain. What is the level of Monensin shown on the tag.
Ill check tomorrow

This is a result of our exceptionally functional government. If a company adds IGR only in a mineral the EPA adds all these crazy regulations that nobody wants to deal with. So feed companies add monensin to their igr mineral, monensin is a drug and therefore regulated by the FDA. The FDA's regulations take president over the EPA's crazy regulations so the feed companies get to ignore the EPA regulations and just follow the FDA's. For instance if I recall correctly to sell an IGR only from a feed store it must be stored separately from everything else in a biosecure area. The monensin level should be whatever the FDA approved monensin to be fed at for cattle on grass, at worst the increased feed efficiency should at least pay for the added mineral cost. Keep an eye on intake though, monensin is known to be unpalatable. The warning is probably for the concentrated drug itself (rumensin 90) it must be mixed before being fed, which it probably has been by the feed company. Should be between 50 & 200 mg monensin/hd/d (FDA regulation). So assuming 50 lb. Bag and 4oz intake the tag should read between 625-2,500 mg monensin.

cjmc":20ojtgf9 said:
This is a result of our exceptionally functional government. If a company adds IGR only in a mineral the EPA adds all these crazy regulations that nobody wants to deal with. So feed companies add monensin to their igr mineral, monensin is a drug and therefore regulated by the FDA. The FDA's regulations take president over the EPA's crazy regulations so the feed companies get to ignore the EPA regulations and just follow the FDA's. For instance if I recall correctly to sell an IGR only from a feed store it must be stored separately from everything else in a biosecure area. The monensin level should be whatever the FDA approved monensin to be fed at for cattle on grass, at worst the increased feed efficiency should at least pay for the added mineral cost. Keep an eye on intake though, monensin is known to be unpalatable. The warning is probably for the concentrated drug itself (rumensin 90) it must be mixed before being fed, which it probably has been by the feed company. Should be between 50 & 200 mg monensin/hd/d (FDA regulation). So assuming 50 lb. Bag and 4oz intake the tag should read between 625-2,500 mg monensin.
I've never seen a problem with including one or both in a mineral especially as long as you have the proper inclusion rates for the purpose disclosed and all required disclosures for each ingredient.

200mg per lb, so 50 mg per day , is what the tag says . Calibrated for 1050 to 1500 lb cows , so I think it's alright ,my guys at the feed store are pretty knowledgeable , it was just different and kinda caught me off gaurd , thanks for the replies .

Latest posts