Another mad cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

J Baxter

Reaction score
Washington (AP) - A second case of mad cow disease (news) may have turned up in the United States, Agriculture (website/news) Department officials said Thursday.

The officials released few details, saying it would be four to seven days before the possible case could be confirmed.

Mad cow disease, or bovine spongiform encephalopathy, attacks an animal's nervous system. People who eat food contaminated with BSE can contract a rare disease that is nearly always fatal, variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.

The possible case comes 11 months after the United States had its first case of mad cow disease. Japan and other countries are still maintaining bans against U.S. beef as the result of the earlier case.

In the only confirmed case, a Canadian-born Holstein was found to have been infected, but just that one case caused Japan and more than three dozen other countries to refuse U.S. beef. That hurt U.S. export sales and the farm economy.

Bush administration officials are now focused on trying to get those bans lifted and with establishing a national identification system for tracking livestock and poultry from birth through the production chain.

Such a system has worried producers who prefer to keep their records confidential or run a voluntary ID clearinghouse that would provide government officials with limited access.

---

On the Net:

U.S. Department of Agriculture: http://www.usda.gov

JB, why post that stuff with an inflammatory, scare tactic Subject line? At least report that its only an inconclusive test! We've had several of those already that have all been negative on confirmatory tests!

Texan,

I was only posting the article as the AP reported it. The link will carry you to the USDA site where it is made known that it is a inconclusive test. I think that most everyone here will realize that it is another inconclusive test and for all us cattlemen and women out here it is just as important to understand the bias and the scare tactics the media is using against us. If they are reporting it that way we need to know it in order to be able to answer any questions asked us by our non-farming counterparts and head off any ill conceived ideas.

I think that we should be getting our trade groups to file suit against the USDA forcing them to delay such reports until a conclusive positive is found.

JB

J. Baxter
There is no reason that I can see not to post the report here! I do not see the subject line as inflamitory. This is a very important issue for us all and I think we should all watch how it plays out in the media. We should all be vigalant to watch out for this topic on other boards we visit and be ready to corect any and all misinformation. I am sure it is only a matter of time before they find another case if they run enough tests. If everyone holds the fear down by corecting the idiots that spring up it will help a lot.
your friend
Mike

JB,

I first learned of a possible second cow this morning from my wife, who was watching "Complete Nucklehead News" (CNN) as she was getting ready for work. I just read the a news report on the internet (same one you pasted to your post), no ones going to hide this, thanks for posting!

Alan

The first cow was in Washington and the meat turned up in the local store I shop at as hamburger patties (a 6 yr old down Holstien). I know they report said this cow did not make it to the food chain, but does anyone know the area of the country the cow is from?

Doesn't matter if the cow test positive or not the media reports are going to cause panic and finger pointing by some. Relax and ride it out, reasearch and learn the facts.

Alan

The media, as usual, as to climb on a topic and chew it up to bits before they even know what they are talking about.. operative words "may", "inconclusive".. sometimes I could slap the snot out of them. They apparently do know that this "maybe" and not "conclusive" mad cow did not make the food chain...

Sometimes I think just to entertain ourselves we should come up with the most ridiculous item we can think up and float it to the press... something so impossible, it could not be true.. they could get their "talking heads" to chew it up before they figure out how stupid they look!

Dyann
Thats what happens when something like this hits on a slow news day. The story seems to take on a life of its own sometimes :eek: Maybe something else will come along before tomorow so they will shut up about it.
your friend
Mike

Probably not to worry too much...

How many of us eat brains and spinal cords (aka Mad Cow Disease problems). Of course, hard to tell what is in processed meats (balogna, weiners, canned meat products)...lol

However, yes, the US Govt needs to get handle on all this and eliminate US sources (if any) of BSE.

Running Arrow Bill":1010bw6s said:

How many of us eat brains and spinal cords (aka Mad Cow Disease problems). Of course, hard to tell what is in processed meats (balogna, weiners, canned meat products)...lol

However, yes, the US Govt needs to get handle on all this and eliminate US sources (if any) of BSE.

Or shoot the nuts that keep feeding meat by products to cattle.

Campground Cattle":19dlll7y said:
Running Arrow Bill":19dlll7y said:

Or shoot the nuts that keep feeding meat by products to cattle.

Ditto.

I am against the beef checkoff, but if ever their was a use for all that money they have got from us it would be to sue USDA. Get the best high dollar lawyer and go to it. Everyone has the right to free speech, but you break the law if you go into a movie house and holler fire. For once in our miserable bitchy lifetimes we should start a grassroots effort to stop this. If the cow is positive then report it, otherwise dont :mad: :mad:

Of course gentlemen there is the possibility they are trying to extend the news into the Thanksgiving holiday when people are preoccupied and the sale barns are closed. I don't remember two tests before. Of course people actually could be out to get you and are peeking in your window, and they are from outer space .......and.....

Unfortunately those of us on the Boards are probably not the ones to worry about having a big reaction to this article.. most of us are more knowledgeable about BSE than to run screaming in terror.

The "general public" will be the ones impacted the most.. it will be interesting to see what happens to cattle in the next couple of weeks.

I talked to two of the biggest commercial ranches in my area( not that big) and they both are bullish on cows even if she has mad cow. Both are going to be at a special cow sale tonight and buy cows. Steady money if need be.

It will be interesting to see how finished beef sales go for the next 4 or 5 days. Packers had been holding out saying they were losing $68 for each animal processed. As for guys in black helicopters who knows

ollie":35hkdqah said:
I talked to two of the biggest commercial ranches in my area( not that big) and they both are bullish on cows even if she has mad cow. Both are going to be at a special cow sale tonight and buy cows. Steady money if need be.
Top of the sale on young pairs with fall babies was 1590.00 the bottom was 1130.00 (thin cows).Don't sound too bad . I didn't go but the report I got was it was a very lively sale with strong bidding and buyer turn out.

Jake":2xyr38kf said:
anybody wanna by some cows??
Jake if your serious pm me with what you have.I know several people looking for good young cows.

I sold a couple of steers at auction on Saturday. (Jersey sire x Angus dam, 1st calf heifer)
580 lb @ 111.00 hundred weight = 643.80
400 lb @ 120.00hundred weight = 480.00

I am pretty darn happy with that considering they deffinately favored the jersey frame, although they were black.

I should hope you were happy - that type of cross typically brings around 18 - 30 cents a pound in my area

Regards

Bez

Latest posts