Another farm accident

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
My dad is 73 he'll be 74 next month. He's in great shape, I think. He has 8 heifers up that he is keeping for cows. One of them was in heat Monday afternoon. His attention was off of them for a few seconds while he was pouring feed in through. Long story short, one of them mounted the other one, and they both came crashing over the top of him. He has a dislocated shoulder, and three broken ribs. He was able to return to his regular schedule the next day thankfully. It doesn't always take a mean one to hurt you. They have 4 feet, and a mind of their own. A miracle of sorts, that he was not injured worse. My son was with him, but at 9 years old, he wasn't able to get him up and out of the mud. A little nerve racking for both of them.

He's mostly just sore. He'll be fine. Ribs were closed fractures.

That's kind of close to home. Sure glad he wasn't hurt worse. I bet your son learned a lesson.

Yea, we all did. Neither one of them had their cell phones either.

Very sorry to hear that Bigfoot. Injuries to seniors can be life changers. Dad broke his foot when he was 87. My cheap brother ( :D ) bought the cheapest cross draw bar he could find for his tractor. Dad was hooking a trailor to it and the drawbar broke and the tongue came down on his foot. It broke the third metatarsal. He went downhill from there. It put him in the house for about 6 months. At his age, it was a life changer.

I pet my cows and mess with them everyday. It is a source of personal pleasure. Last evening, I was sitting out as it got dark and some of the fall calves were coming over and playing with me. They put their heads down and I can hold my hand out and they play butt it. What I watch for more than an attack is what is going on away from me. There is frequent activity related to pecking order. When I pet one, it initiates rivalry. Others that are higher ranking think they are being pushed down on the pecking order and will move in and push the cow getting attention. I have come close to getting a cow pushed over me in the same fashion that your dad was injuried. I have never seen a truly agressive nature in any of my stock. I do have a couple that are shy.

Glad he was not hurt badly. As a good son, scold him for being careless. It is your turn to provide guidance. :D

Bigfoot glad he is ok and it can happen in an instant.
The thing you have to do is to make sure he is healed before starting back.
Things heal slower as we age. I have had several friends end up having complications
from wrecks around the farm. Not saying tie him in a bed just really make sure he
takes it at a slower pace for a while.

Sorry to hear that, hope he does well healing. Like you said it does not take a mean one to get you. We have some gentle cattle and they can push you around not being mean.

Reading this made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I hate to hear about anybody being injured but when it happens to older people it just gets to me. Was standing in the chemist on Friday waiting for a prescription, there was an old gentleman in front of me that had taken a fall. Cracked ribs, dislocated shoulder and there collecting his pain killers and trying to act brave. It made me so sad.

All the best with your dad Bigfoot, a lesson learnt.

My Dad is about the same age. Nothing rattles me more than the phone ringing late at night.

I hope elder Bigfoot is healing well.

Sorry to hear about the wreck Bigfoot... Hope he heals quickly and without issue! Keep an eye on him for pneumonia, many times after rib injuries, folks breathe shallow to try and lessen the pain and it can cause problems when they aren't filling up their lung capacity!

LazyARanch said:
Sorry to hear about the wreck Bigfoot... Hope he heals quickly and without issue! Keep an eye on him for pneumonia, many times after rib injuries, folks breathe shallow to try and lessen the pain and it can cause problems when they aren't filling up their lung capacity![/

Something I hadn't thought of. I broke nearly all of mine, on my right side once. It was probably a 5 year recovery.

Sorry it happened and glad it wasn't worse! I have heard of a lot of "feeding accidents" with older folks, and plenty of people in their prime, too. Anyone can take a fall, get distracted for a minute, etc. Cows aren't the only ones born looking for a way to die! Seems like the best way to go is put the feeder along the fence and feed from the other side. You might need an extra one to make enough space per head but if it prevents something like this it seems worth it.

Latest posts