Another drought?

Help Support CattleToday:

ousoonerfan22

Reaction score
Do you guys think we're going to have another drought like last year?
I can't believe this can happen two years in a row! The hay didn't make as much again and now 100 degree days and no rain in the forecast.Pastures are going to be burnt up in a week or two. :(

It ain't looking good at all. My Bermuda is spotty from last years drought and I don't think it will withstand another of any length at all.

As RB stated our rain has not come this year no relief from last year.
Went to Little Rock today and came home through Clarksville and back up. There was just a few areas that had green in the fields. We have had 1 and 4 tenths rain in 68 days. Living in an area that you are in a drought in three weeks that makes us a desert.
At the local auction yeasterday had 826 cows and bulls all but about 50 head went to slaughter. Was a very sad place to spend time did not stay long.

Red Bull Breeder":1f6m4tsz said:
Green Forest Hillrancher?? Been quite a few at Harrison to from what folks are a saying.
Yes at GF.
I have never seen drafts of 10 to 15 head of 200 to 350 lb calves sold before. They were pulling baby calve off their mother and selling the mother by the pound.

Red Bull Breeder":2u6vqp2r said:
I still got grass Isom but i am running away understocked, and glad i am right now.
Same here, I'm running at 40%. Sure glad too.

hillrancher":v1imeval said:
We have had 1 and 4 tenths rain in 68 days.

Count yourself lucky....we have gone that long without any at least twice in the last two years.

In the far NE corner of OK it's burned up and on a ranch by ranch basis the grasshoppers have hatched in epic numbers (we're starting our 3rd round of spraying right now - it kills them, but they get replaced by new ones). We luckily picked up some additional pastures to add to the rotation that will keep us from having to feed hay - for now at least.

For the ones that have gone through a drought . What recommendation would you make to help producers like myself . With little or no experence running cattle in these conditions. I live in southern il. . Started feeding hay last week . Put out protien tub yesterday . Maybe over kill . Would like to hear from you . Thanks rj

Cull deepand early, only keep the very best stock. Figure that the drought won;t break soon and plan accordingly.
Keep in mind that the repurcussions of drought last far longer then just past the start of adequate rainfall. The longer the drought the longer afterwards recovery will take.

as yall know texas was in a drought last year.an alot of people culled their herds deep an even sold out rather than pay high prices for the hay.that maybe what yall have todo.the guy just finished baling our hay yesterday ended up with 215 bales on the 1st cutting.hoping the rain keeps coming to make a 2nd cutting.

Latest posts