Another Craigslist Bulls Opinons needed

Help Support CattleToday:

It's really to bad that everything on craigslist is always junk because I'd be pretty excited about those bulls if I found them anywhere else. ;-)

As good as the bulls were they were actually better than the pictures showed them to be. really nice bulls, i saw them last friday.

Not to be too much of a wet blanket on this, good looking bulls BTW, but he's not selling them on Craigslist, he's advertising for an upcoming bull sale. He's just using free advertising.

Good looking buls, but not Craigslist bulls.

JMO,
Alan

Thanks for the compliments on our bulls. These were our last 4 bulls from the 2011 calf crop. When it comes to marketing our cattle our phlosiphy is to reach out to as many people as possiable and that means in different ways.

I use the following methods

1. Website
2. Facebook
3. Constant Contact (email Blast)
4. Post cards
5. Craigslist
6. Forums like cattletoday
5. Word of mouth

I have found some people don't use a computer so I use the postcard, some don't have facebook but gets emails, So I am trying to reach out in different ways and make our farm known. It don't do any good to raise cattle in the back woods and no one knows what you have. If you are a commerical cattleman you don't have to worrie about it as much as most people will sell them at the local sale barn.

When it comes to marketing we try to think outside the box in the most cost effective way possiable and craigslist is just one tool in our tool box that is free. I agree most craiglist cattle are not very good but there again I think real cattlemen can pick them out.

screwpauler, welcome to the board. It's no trick. These are the real deal from a herd whose owners post helpful and friendly advice and information on this board all the time.

Nothing wrong with using free advertising with this day and age where you gotta watch your cents and dollars.
We've used craigslist a few times and will probably continue to.

Used it as a venue to sell some ground beef when we took a whole cow in, helps free up freezer room faster tho we do generate a decent amount by word of mouth too.

I was at the sale last Friday. Gizmo bulls were nice. But I got a question. The split the angus bulls up and sold half at beginning of sale and half at the end. How did they determine which ones went first and last? It was not by lot number. The first group of angus seemed to sale for more. At the end everybody seemed spent out. Did not seem fair to the last group. Seems having all the angus together would have been more fair. Not trying to start anything, just wondering how they choose.

I was a consignor at the sale last Friday, and I agree they did run out of buyers. I think that they have always broken the bulls up in groups like that. It also wouldn't be fair to the Simmental consignors to sell all the Angus bulls first.
The sale committee ranks the bulls based on four EPDs (CED, WW, YW, and Milk) and WDA, based on the bulls weight on the day before the sale. I agree the Gizmo bulls looked as good as any Angus bulls at the sale, and better than some that sold in front of them, IMO.

Ok, that's why I was asking how they got the sale order, I didn't know. As long as you know how they do it when you put your bull it would be fair then. As a outsider I was looking at it as if someone had more than 1 bull they would split them and sale some early and some late. Thanks for clearing up.

Bama born

First let me say it was really nice meeting you at the sale. We have been consigning at the Alabama BCIA sale for 14 years. They always rotate breeds this year they just had more bulls than buyers which is never a good thing for the last group of bulls.

Gizmom

Latest posts