another believer . . . .

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
. . . . in vaccinating. Fella bought a bull just now from me. He'd lost his calf crop last season to lepto. He'd never vaccinated before "in his whole life". He does now. How many times have you heard this story?

There is another thread this week about someone who can put cattle on another persons land but have to be organic. When I asked about vaccinations no they are not supposed to have them. He can do an individual best but not the whole herd.

Suzie Q":8ej5tlsg said:
There is another thread this week about someone who can put cattle on another persons land but have to be organic. When I asked about vaccinations no they are not supposed to have them. He can do an individual best but not the whole herd.

Organic rules are complicated I found. Never worked with organic animals, but some times you can get derigations to use certain things. Most of the rules and regs state that you can use things for animal wellfare (including antibiotics), just that you need to follow a paper trail first.

Also depends on the body that you are certified with, they all seam to have different rules,

I could use convetional seed if I could prove that the organic was not avaliable, or untreated conventional seed was better in some way. That took from a week to a month for an OK. Not too good if you have an ill animal :(

Just read the thread most disalow whole sale worming as they belive that you should be able to control worms with good grazing management, which to a certain extent is true.

spinandslide":kuelsdli said:
wow...

is there a large number of cattlemen who do not vaccinate their herds, even in this day and age?

I'd guess it's 50/50.

I believe there are a lot of people that don't routinely vaccinate. I think back to when we first had cattle, and there were really only three or four things we vaccinated against. Now look at how many there are! And of course that begs the question.. are we creating resistant diseases? BVD comes to mind...

While it may be true that everyone should vaccinate, it should not be based upon stories like these. If I were to post a story about a herd dying from reaction to a vaccine, would everyone stop vaccinating? I hope not.

For example, a week ago, a guy I know had the vet out to vaccinate his horses and that night his big percheron draft horse was found dead. Maybe coincidence, but if you're against vaccinating, it can be a useful story.

In considering vaccinations, hopefully the vaccine does more good than harm. There is cost:benefit in anything.
What is the incidence of and cost of disease, vs incidence and cost of administering and any reactions?

TREATING one animal in your herd for an illness that can be prevented with vaccine can cost more than the initial vaccine would have cost for the whole herd.
People vaccines have been blamed for everything under the sun - including autisism, which has been proven incorrect - along with all the other claims. Do you also think we shouldn't vaccinate our children. Do you remember Polio??
Vaccinating cattle for diseases does not GUARANTEE that animal will not get the disease, but if they do, they will have enough resistance to fight it off.
I'm a firm believer.

TheBullLady":m046562b said:
I believe there are a lot of people that don't routinely vaccinate. I think back to when we first had cattle, and there were really only three or four things we vaccinated against. Now look at how many there are! And of course that begs the question.. are we creating resistant diseases? BVD comes to mind...

Improper antibiotic use is one main cause of resistant diseases. Vaccinations cause the body to generate defenses against specific disease and while those organisms may mutate, and become new strains it isn't quite the same thing.

Personally I think we may be creating weak cattle by constantly feeding, medicating, worming, insecticiding and otherwise pampering them. There is something to be said for natural hardiness. Nevertheless, vaccinations are darn cheap insurance compared to the alternative.

Hippie Rancher":1cpp44oq said:
Personally I think we may be creating weak cattle by constantly feeding, medicating, worming, insecticiding and otherwise pampering them. There is something to be said for natural hardiness. Nevertheless, vaccinations are darn cheap insurance compared to the alternative.
Natural hardiness yes.
But not everyone has the luxery of not feeding during the year. I agree, if you can graze year round, great..if not got to feed
Medicating when something is sick is a good thing. What is not good is, free choice or fed everyday as a preventative...or not making that hard call and not treating but maybe the 30 cent cure is better.
Worming, insecticiding (same thing) is not so much about weakening the cattle but rather so their feed conversion is better, saving money to the farmer not having to spend so much in feed. Even if you bale your own hay it costs.
And yes Vaccinations are cheap insurance....just have to remember to do it right!