Another Baldie question

Help Support CattleToday:

Elkey

Reaction score
Hi everyone. This is my first post so please be easy on me. lol. I have a few black angus commercial cows. We AI bred to a polled hereford (Sheyenne) bull last summer hoping for black baldie calves this upcoming spring. I did just buy a polled hereford yearling bull for future breeding. My question is...if I were to hold back a few black baldie heifers out of this years calf crop to grow my herd, will their offspring be red calves with hereford markings, or black baldies. I did look through several posts on the subject, but did not see this particular question asked.

50:50 chance they will be black. Depending on how the genes line up the could be baldies or brockle faced.

Elkey":90te9thk said:
Hi everyone. This is my first post so please be easy on me. lol. I have a few black angus commercial cows. We AI bred to a polled hereford (Sheyenne) bull last summer hoping for black baldie calves this upcoming spring. I did just buy a polled hereford yearling bull for future breeding. My question is...if I were to hold back a few black baldie heifers out of this years calf crop to grow my herd, will their offspring be red calves with hereford markings, or black baldies. I did look through several posts on the subject, but did not see this particular question asked.

Welcome to the board!

Black Baldy cows bred to a Hereford bull will probably give you a mix of results. I would think some will be black with white markings and some will be red with white markings.

ALACOWMAN":2auhfuc0 said:
https://www.google.com/search?q=black+baldies+hereford+calves&client=safari&hl=en-us&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjJoJTyz8vYAhWHUN8KHaxZAfMQ_AUIESgB&biw=768&bih=960&dpr=2#imgrc=TqyxljULTsSF9M one of the prettiest calves I've seen....

I agree

Grundy53":7ethk60s said:
ALACOWMAN":7ethk60s said:
https://www.google.com/search?q=black+baldies+hereford+calves&client=safari&hl=en-us&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjJoJTyz8vYAhWHUN8KHaxZAfMQ_AUIESgB&biw=768&bih=960&dpr=2#imgrc=TqyxljULTsSF9M one of the prettiest calves I've seen....

I agree

I agree also. Very nice calf.

:welcome: We have done that cross a lot in the past and will get both. We seemed to get mostly black with red markings. (P.S. good selection on Sheyenne. Have several from him, has really good calving ease.)

I guess I would be content with a few reds. However, the black baldies seem to bring a little more here in central MO. It is common in our area for producers to buy the black baldie heifers for replacement. Around here you won't see many baldies sell in the ring with solid.

Color and horns are the easiest genes for dominant recessive. Black is always dominant as is polled. Spotting/face genes gets kind of screwy. The offspring from red and black will be black. But they will be heterozygous red, 1 red gene 1 black gene. If bred to a homozygous black(2 black genes) all of the offspring will be black. A hetero black 1 red 1 black gene will have a fifty 50 chance of which gene they pass to their offpsring. If the sire is red statistically half will be red and half black. But it never works out that way. Our of Granny cow was hetero black and was bred every year to a red bull. In her lifetime of 15 calves she had 1 red, all the others were black.

There is a difference in the prices between a black baldy and a black featherneck. A black featherneck tends to bring less than solids and black baldies.

dun":32rhxqxd said:
Color and horns are the easiest genes for dominant recessive. Black is always dominant as is polled. Spotting/face genes gets kind of screwy. The offspring from red and black will be black. But they will be heterozygous red, 1 red gene 1 black gene. If bred to a homozygous black(2 black genes) all of the offspring will be black. A hetero black 1 red 1 black gene will have a fifty 50 chance of which gene they pass to their offpsring. If the sire is red statistically half will be red and half black. But it never works out that way. Our of Granny cow was hetero black and was bred every year to a red bull. In her lifetime of 15 calves she had 1 red, all the others were black.

Great information! I will have to write this down somewhere. Thanks for sharing.

MRRherefords":8irjw4fa said:
:welcome: We have done that cross a lot in the past and will get both. We seemed to get mostly black with red markings. (P.S. good selection on Sheyenne. Have several from him, has really good calving ease.)

Great to hear about the calving ease. I am looking forward to this springs calf crop. My vet recommended the Sheyenne.

ALACOWMAN":39lp596o said:

I agree.....but I sold one like him today but with goggle eyes....he brought 20 cents less than the blacks/black baldies.....he was my favorite calf of the bunch an AI calf out of a black cow. He was supposed to been born a black baldie heifer. That's the only problem I know of breeding for baldie heifers is you take a beating on the red steers.

Latest posts