another armed bystander stops shooter.. in Fla

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
https://abcnews.go.com/US/armed-bystand ... d=57057661

Police arrested the gunman after he was shot by the bystander, who police said was lawfully licensed to carry a gun.

"We are extremely grateful that nobody else was injured in this incident," said Deputy Chief Todd Hutchinson in a statement. "This suspect opened fire at a crowded public park, this could have been so much worse."

The shooter was airlifted to a local hospital with life-threatening injuries and his gun was recovered from the scene, according to police.

The bystander who shot the suspect waited for officers and has been fully cooperative with the ongoing investigation, they said. After consulting with the State's Attorney's office, police said no charges are expected to be filed against him.

the had to consult with the AG JUST TO SEE if they could possibly hit the HERO with some charges.

ddd75":26hpki4y said:
the had to consult with the AG JUST TO SEE if they could possibly hit the HERO with some charges.

I didn't see anything there that seemed to indicate that anyone wanted to file charges on the hero.

ddd75":7xb7j8io said:

Pretty common actually. With the diminished spines of police chiefs across the country it seems no one makes the call unless they are forced to. You will also see the HERO's case before a grand jury.

slick4591":aer9irc9 said:
ddd75":aer9irc9 said:

Pretty common actually. With the diminished spines of police chiefs across the country it seems no one makes the call unless they are forced to. You will also see the HERO's case before a grand jury.

Yep. The article didn't even credit him with so much as a good deed. But what does it matter.he done good. No telling how many lives he possibly saved. I'm not sure that the majority of police want responsible armed citizens.

JMJ Farms":1qjzrlcj said:
Yep. The article didn't even credit him with so much as a good deed. But what does it matter.he done good. No telling how many lives he possibly saved. I'm not sure that the majority of police want responsible armed citizens.

Mike, I don't blame them. For example, our very good friend and loyal contributor to CT confessed that he was "uncomfortable" and ready to put down a female bank security guard because she walked out of the bank and toward him to have a smoke. Vince is a very intelligent, rational person so this is not directed at him but there are plenty of folks out there packing that don't have the common sense of a goose in when to use lethal force, albeit, in every other way, they are responsible armed citizens.

JMJ Farms":2am7ofjl said:
slick4591":2am7ofjl said:
ddd75":2am7ofjl said:

The police are not your friend.
All they see is a shooting incident when they arrive. Your not dealing with proactive people at this point but reactive.

Caustic Burno":1r29u0yw said:
JMJ Farms":1r29u0yw said:
slick4591":1r29u0yw said:

The police are not your friend.
All they see is a shooting incident when they arrive. Your not dealing with proactive people at this point but reactive.

I think that's pretty close to right CB. I guess when on a daily basis, as a general rule, they deal with the worst of the worst, their brains get re trained and they can't effectively address each situation as "different" based on circumstances. Everything situation becomes the same. Handled the same. I've seen numerous people go to work in law enforcement and the prison system. A good portion of them change to a very noticeable degree. Their actions, vocabulary, attitude, etc. Then again, I've seen college have the same effect on many!

But, when it comes right down to it, I have the same feelings towards LEOs as I do the POTUS. Good and bad, thick or thin, I'm ultimately on their side and I support them. Sure glad I don't have to wake up and look forward to that lifestyle every day. :tiphat:

Bright Raven":qu7uyleg said:
JMJ Farms":qu7uyleg said:

Mike, I don't blame them. For example, our very good friend and loyal contributor to CT confessed that he was "uncomfortable" and ready to put down a female bank security guard because she walked out of the bank and toward him to have a smoke. Vince is a very intelligent, rational person so this is not directed at him but there are plenty of folks out there packing that don't have the common sense of a goose in when to use lethal force, albeit, in every other way, they are responsible armed citizens.

I guess I don't blame them either. But I'm glad it's not their call to make.

JMJ Farms":1q4e5ov2 said:
Bright Raven":1q4e5ov2 said:
JMJ Farms":1q4e5ov2 said:

I guess I don't blame them either. But I'm glad it's not their call to make.

CB made a point that does not only apply to the police. It applies to the "armed citizen" as well. This man did well, outstanding in fact, but the citizen is also in "reaction" mode.

Police are trained, yet, mistakes are made and some of those mistakes are often showcased on this forum. Law enforcement would be naive to think that armed citizens most without any training are not at risk of making fatal mistakes some of which may result in death or injury to innocent people.

police are trained to look at every situation in order to get you into jail and into the system.

I'd like to see different levels in CC permitting, that results in more options to those who CC with proper training and background checks. You better be sure of your target and what's beyond it at all times.

Hook2.0":ikzx5kb4 said:
True Grit Farms":ikzx5kb4 said:
I'd like to see different levels in CC permitting, that results in more options to those who CC with proper training and background checks. You better be sure of your target and what's beyond it at all times.
The responding shooter shooter hit his target and no one else. The offending shooter didn't hit anyone thank god
What was the range between the bad guy and good guy?

slick4591":14thnx00 said:
ddd75":14thnx00 said:
police are trained to look at every situation in order to get you into jail and into the system.

ACLU expert, are you?

no, just what my eyes tell me, and experience.

ddd75":3aubbzm5 said:

That is a broad statement that would be difficult to support. I trust that you are sincere and you base that on some personal experiences with police that did not go well.

In general, I think most people misjudge those folks in enforcement occupations. Enforcement agents/officers would much prefer that everyone complies with all ordinances, regulations, laws, and statutes. It makes their job much more pleasant and enjoyable. There are certainly exceptions. There are extremist and zealots in every walk of life but the vast majority of enforcement personnel from the dog catcher to POTUS would absolutely be in utopia if everyone was law abiding.

ddd75":3tkexrjk said:
slick4591":3tkexrjk said:
ddd75":3tkexrjk said:

ACLU expert, are you?

no, just what my eyes tell me, and experience.

That's a pretty crazy statement and you have nothing more than an uneducated opinion to back that up? As a 30 year retiree from law enforcement with over 1700 documented training hours I have never, ever taken any course that taught anything close. Let me tell you the system doesn't want you. The system would like to be a bright and shiny one without all the dirt that seems to find its way inside.

Latest posts