Animal Rights Initiatives A Little Scary

Help Support CattleToday:

S.R.R.

Reaction score
Our Perspective /Cow-Calf Weekly

Animal Rights Initiatives A Little Scary

The most publicized animal rights issue this fall was proposition 204 in Arizona which prohibited veal crates for calves and gestation crates for pigs. A similar initiative was passed regarding gestation crates in 2002, and was successful in essentially eliminating the already small pig industry in Florida.

The animal rights movement has found a model for success and they took it to Arizona where this measure passed by a whopping 61% of the vote. While the agricultural industry was not prepared for the initiative in Florida, they were well funded and well aware of the threat to their industries by this initiative. But, they were simply outgunned on an issue that inherently has the support of the public as they are not educated on the issue.

We can expect these initiatives to emerge at a more rapid pace, and agriculture is going to have to figure out how to band together to counteract the massive funding disadvantage that agriculture is going to have. If they pick each state off one by one, step by step, they will have won not because of the correctness of their agenda, but because of a vastly superior implementation of tactics and strategy.
-- Troy Marshall

More than a little scary.
I was on a zoning board when a hog CAFO tried to locate in my county. Lots of talk about the environment and health concerns. But when you scratched them, many of the opponents bled PETA.
Very frustrating dealing with them, as compromise is not a word in their vocabulary. And their attitude of moral superiority rubs me wrong.

Found a pot patch on some land we were cutting the timber off of. Figured it belonged to the little pony tailed tree hugger that was drawing a disability check that lived across the road. He came out saying we couldn't cut the timber that it was against the law. He called, EPD, Corps of Eng., Forestry Comm., NRCS office and the Dept. of AG on me. Of course, each had to respond to the complaint so I had to meet with each idividually. It was a pain. I'd like to yank the %#%^ ear ring out of his ear and shove it down his throat. :lol:

I am continually offended by all those that assume legislation passes because of ignorance. I worked very hard in my area correcting the misinformation passed out by the agriculture industries in reference to Prop 204. Read the legislation. There is no confusing wording, no loop holes. Most of the people I worked with on this legislation were normal MEAT EATING, church going, educated individuals. I cannot understand why humanely raising food animals meets such resistance. It is what the people of this country are saying they want and are willing to PAY for. So raise it nice and charge for it. Everyone, including the animals, is a little happier.

hraz":2ajsjk6r said:
I am continually offended by all those that assume legislation passes because of ignorance. I worked very hard in my area correcting the misinformation passed out by the agriculture industries in reference to Prop 204. Read the legislation. There is no confusing wording, no loop holes. Most of the people I worked with on this legislation were normal MEAT EATING, church going, educated individuals. I cannot understand why humanely raising food animals meets such resistance. It is what the people of this country are saying they want and are willing to PAY for. So raise it nice and charge for it. Everyone, including the animals, is a little happier.

It cost the ACA a lot of money to defeat this here .

This link will show who supported you .

http://www.azfarmersranchers.com/index.php?p=10

I am familiar with the site. I also personally know a large number of the people here in AZ that are directly responsible for getting this passed. None of the people I worked with are foolish enough to think the world will stop eating meat. Again, most of them eat meat themselves. The environmental extremists know the cars will never disappear. But they keep trying. Cleaner emissions are the result. Plenty of cars left. If peta wants to help make pregnant sows in AZ a little more comfortable-bring on the cash.

hraz":2tan63mz said:
I am familiar with the site. I also personally know a large number of the people here in AZ that are directly responsible for getting this passed. None of the people I worked with are foolish enough to think the world will stop eating meat. Again, most of them eat meat themselves. The environmental extremists know the cars will never disappear. But they keep trying. Cleaner emissions are the result. Plenty of cars left. If peta wants to help make pregnant sows in AZ a little more comfortable-bring on the cash.

Help me out on something , How big is the hog business in AZ?

How much veal is raised in AZ?

There is one commercial prok producer in AZ with approximately 16,000 sows. We do not have a veal industry. The veal part was purely preventative.

As pertaines to working with peta - Lie down with dogs you get up with fleas

dun

hraz":3fxw8kgk said:
I work for a gonvernment agency- does that mean i am an unethical crook?

No, but the odds are greater that you will be eventually. Power corrupts, even with the best of intentions.

Or I will continue to live my good life and do my job, the pregnant pigs will still have more room to lay down and the dairy waste bull calves that are everywhere around here will not be chained in pens too small for my dog.

hraz":lhq8dybe said:
There is one commercial prok producer in AZ with approximately 16,000 sows. We do not have a veal industry. The veal part was purely preventative.

When this law takes effect how many pork producers will AZ have?
And then who's next? Will it be the family whos kids have a show steer penned up and being fed ?

We will still have pork producers. The producers in Fl. did not shut down because of the legislation there. One was down before the law passed and the other was already phasing out. Prices drove them out. Will this cost money-yes. Doing the ethical, moral thing may not always be the cheapest. People want to eat meat. They just want to think it was happy before it got to the grocery store. And they will pay for it. They already are in ever growing numbers. I have never heard anyone complain about the way a 4h/ffa type project animal was raised. I really do not think that it is on anyones agenda.

hraz":ks8gsxmh said:
We will still have pork producers. The producers in Fl. did not shut down because of the legislation there. One was down before the law passed and the other was already phasing out. Prices drove them out. Will this cost money-yes. Doing the ethical, moral thing may not always be the cheapest. People want to eat meat. They just want to think it was happy before it got to the grocery store. And they will pay for it. They already are in ever growing numbers. I have never heard anyone complain about the way a 4h/ffa type project animal was raised. I really do not think that it is on anyones agenda.

Eliminating the raising any kind of animal for meat, milk, wool, or whatever is what peta is all about. Just like gun control or any other elimination scheme, start with somethign you can et a lot of (misguided) support for, then take a bigger piece, then another, then another.................

dun

And reasonable people keep them in check. Do we continue to allow what amounts to animal neglect/abuse to happen so PETA cannot get a foot in the door? I do not agree with PETA. Way to far gone, those people. But that does not mean that this legislation is wrong. Moderation is almost always a safe way to go. We did not vote to free the pigs, just give them a little more space. Not green pastures and eden till they die naturally. I cannot believe that graduating to a 7x7 pen (if they are lucky) qualifies as extreme in anyones mind.

hraz":ujb3ob42 said:
The producers in Fl. did not shut down because of the legislation there. One was down before the law passed and the other was already phasing out. Prices drove them out. Will this cost money-yes. Doing the ethical, moral thing may not always be the cheapest. People want to eat meat. They just want to think it was happy before it got to the grocery store. And they will pay for it.

So you are saying that Cattle today and the articles they post are full of B.S.?? (I do not think so... ;-) )

hraz you will not find one member of this board ( and there are alot!!) That would advocate mistreatment of animals.

On the same hand you are going to find it a hard sell to convince us the gov. and animal rights groups know better then us how to raise our animals!!! :roll: :mad:

hraz":1xdk9qwu said:
And reasonable people keep them in check. Do we continue to allow what amounts to animal neglect/abuse to happen so PETA cannot get a foot in the door? I do not agree with PETA. Way to far gone, those people. But that does not mean that this legislation is wrong. Moderation is almost always a safe way to go. We did not vote to free the pigs, just give them a little more space. Not green pastures and eden till they die naturally. I cannot believe that graduating to a 7x7 pen (if they are lucky) qualifies as extreme in anyones mind.

A sow is kept in a 2 ft. x 7 ft. farrowing crates during the time she is raising her litter. A sow has two litters/ year and pigs are weaned at 3-4 weeks of age. This results in the sow being confined in a crate for 6-8 weeks/year. The remainder of the year she is in a lot where she is bred and where she stays until it's time to farrow. The farrowing crate was developed to prevent the sow from crushing her offspring. Allowing a sow to have room to move around results in a higher death rate among her litter. The farrowing crate was developed to make hog production more profitable and more humane as it saves the lives of nursing pigs. PETA and other animal rights groups paint a picture of "factory farms" where hogs spend their entire lives confined in a small crate and this is simply not the case. Also, renovating facilities to conform to governmental guidelines is an extreme measure. This costs money and time.

Latest posts