Angus Steer Questions

Help Support CattleToday:

BigBear

Reaction score
Hi everybody. First time poster, long time reader. I grew up on a dairy farm and have been around cattle my whole life. The dairy cows got sold about 20 years ago but I couldn't stay away from the cattle. I've been feeding out Jersey calves I get from my aunt and uncle for free the last few years and after deaths, heartache, and fat pockets in my steaks have moved on to angus calves.

I got these 4 calves in August at an average weight (weaned) of 375/head and was shocked to learn they were February calves. That seemed extremely light for their age to me but again this is my first round of beef breed steers. But I have had a near impossible time finding a cow/calf operation willing to sell calves. I have several in my area that all finish their own calves.

Since I got the calves, I have fed them 2% of their body weight in mixed feed (cracked corn, purina cattle grower, molasses, trace mineral 14% protein) and free choice pasture/hay.

My concern/question is the overall shape of the steers. I know this might sound crazy but they look like propane tanks with legs. Wide as they are tall. Never seen calves like this. Am I pushing them too much with feed? They are roughly 500-550 lbs and I give them about 40 lbs of feed once a day. Any comments appreciated.

2 things come to mind....1 when were they dewormed last? And 2, what is the make up of the hay/pasture? Worm them and make sure they have good hay, but limit the intake. And yes, they were probably pretty small/ light for their age when you got them by the sounds of it.

Can't tell much without pics. But seeing as they are 10 months old they are still quite small if they are only 500lbs. And 40lbs of what?

Wont find many beef guys selling good, light calves. No money to be made selling them young and light.

Crossbred dairy calves are much more common, and some grow quite well.

I had them wormed late September. Pasture and hay are roughly 60% red clover, 30% fescue. I mentioned my feed mix in the original post. Cracked corn, purina cattle grower, molasses, trace minerals. About 14% CP

I would prefer to buy them bigger (500-600 lbs) but I can't even find them at that size.
The guys down at the feed mill couldn't even give me names of guys that are selling calves.

BigBear":mi3hbesm said:
I had them wormed late September. Pasture and hay are roughly 60% red clover, 30% fescue. I mentioned my feed mix in the original post. Cracked corn, purina cattle grower, molasses, trace minerals. About 14% CP

I would prefer to buy them bigger (500-600 lbs) but I can't even find them at that size.
The guys down at the feed mill couldn't even give me names of guys that are selling calves.
you can get all the 500# you want at the sale barn.

BigBear":3uqqrooc said:
Hi everybody.
I got 4 calves in August at an average weight (weaned) of 375/head and was shocked to learn they were February calves. That seemed extremely light for their age to me, but again this is my first round of beef breed steers.
I know this might sound crazy but they look like propane tanks with legs. Wide as they are tall.
I've never seen calves like this.
Sounds as though you may have unknowingly bought 'Low Line' black angus calves that finish out at around 875-950 lbs.
IF you wormed 'em with a pour on and think they need to be dewormered again, injectables are more effective.

Low Lines/minitures aren't bad, but they are different especially if you were expecting standard black angus.
They are kind of goofy/cute with their short legs when I've seen them as weaned calves come prancing in to the sale ring and when finished they appear wider than they actually are because they are so short, if that's what you mean by never seeing cattle like them before.

P.S.
:welcome:
To the boards

Thanks Son of Butch. I realize the sale barn is always an option and I have a pretty good one about an hour away from me. I've just always been hesitant to go that route but it may be my only option

I will post some pictures later today.

I think your dead on about the low line. Now that you mention it. That's exactly what they look like. I did see some of the guys cows and they looked Standard size to me but I didn't get up close to them either. He's got 100 cows and 4 bulls. But he did mention he sells calves for "neighbors".

I used the injectable wormer also. I'm also not a fan of the pour on. It needs to go right through the system IMHO.

Another thing that I've found odd with them is they aren't fond of hay. I have some really good dry made right clover/grass hay out for them but they prefer to pick through the very little pasture that's left. They do eat the hay but spend most of the day out on the pasture. They have no problem cleaning up the grain though lol.

Thanks for all the responses. I really appreciate the feedback

I actually found them eating some hay this morning. Comments welcome. Again February calves, 2% body weight in 14% CP feed per day since mid August.

They look pretty good to me. If you think they are getting too fleshy for how much frame they have you could knock back their feed a little bit, but from what I can see they look good.

Thanks for the comments. I feel a little better now. I guess I'm just used to dairy beef and those long legs lol. I just want to make sure I can get them in the neighborhood of 1100 lbs by late May/early June. The guy I got them from said no problem to reach 1200 by then but I'm not so sure. Am I crazy?

I've gotten jersey steers to 1000 lbs at exactly 12 mos of age several times.

M-5, how much to you think they weigh?

those guys look like 800# to me.
and they look medium size frame, 1250-1300# finished probably.

Latest posts