Angus $M Comparison

Help Support CattleToday:

dbird33

Reaction score
Below are two bull calf EPD profiles. One is a Rampage son and the other is a Resource son. Both have the same MGS. I thought it was interesting how different their $M was when they are really similar in a lot of ways. I can see that Doc and SC have made an impact here, but I guess MW, MH, and maybe $EN are huge contributors as well. Both are being treated as heifer bull prospects and both have AGS test results factored into their EPD's.

The $M index appears to me to be a function mostly of mature weight and height. While most commercial cows don't need an increase in mature weight I doubt the new index will change the direction of said commercial cow herds. The little bit of feedback I get from feedlots is they are complaining of cattle not growing fast enough. With current finished cattle markets going lower by the minute and the problems with this years corn crop the cow calf guys are going.to be squeezed hard the next year or two.

W.B. said:
The $M index appears to me to be a function mostly of mature weight and height. While most commercial cows don't need an increase in mature weight I doubt the new index will change the direction of said commercial cow herds. The little bit of feedback I get from feedlots is they are complaining of cattle not growing fast enough. With current finished cattle markets going lower by the minute and the problems with this years corn crop the cow calf guys are going.to be squeezed hard the next year or two.
Would feedlot concerns be more linked to YW than MW? Seems with kill age less than 2 YO that the YW would tell the tale better. Somewhat of the model for some other species with early rapid growth and then a drop in growth after harvest age.

Not sure about the new $M index, and what I'm going to contribute is probably worthless as usual but hasn't stopped me yet. I was at a cattle meeting at an extension office and the speaker from UK was talking about EPD's and the $W and $B indexes in selecting for bulls. So this 2 or 3 years back but said that if selling calves right of the cow ie " trailer weaning " then $ W was the index to use but if you were feeding out your calves even if just backgrounding them for 45 or 60 days then to go with the $B index. Again I don't know about the new one but am guessing it is a possible extension of $W that adds in some more maternal factors?

Ebenezer said:
W.B. said:
Would feedlot concerns be more linked to YW than MW? Seems with kill age less than 2 YO that the YW would tell the tale better. Somewhat of the model for some other species with early rapid growth and then a drop in growth after harvest age.
The feedlots want gain period. Cow weights mean zip to them. The person I spoke with was blaming low birthweight bulls. I agreed somewhat but added as a rule as you increase birthweight you increase mature weight. He agreed that none of us needed larger cows.

Latest posts