Angus Heifer Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Before an answer, I'd like to preface by saying that each program must look at the desired outcome when choosing a calving ease bull. If not we run the risk of selecting for single traits only. I had about five different objectives when I started looking for a bull this year. After looking at the big picture, I chose BT CROSSOVER to breed to our heifers.

In December we bred a heifer to Bon View New Design 878. We don't have any to breed for spring calving. What we use depends on whether we plan to keep her or sell her. If we're going to sell her, we'll probably use PFred. (1) Because he's very reliable. Not everyone has the time to watch heifers like we do and we want to give her the best chance we can for a successful first calving. We've tested some sons and they did well. And (2) Because we have some semen in the tank. :)

If we're going to keep her, we'll probably put New Design 036 in her. We don't have many straws left, though. When he's gone, we'll have to do some serious re-evaluation.

Will you take time to say why you like Crossover?

I like avalon used Crossover on my heifers. I like the overall power and muscularity he displays especially when combined with the carcass numbers he carries. I like the fact that he won Denver but is not your prototypical "show" bull. His BW is very modest at only .4 with a CED of 10. I really like the 6T6 bull on the dam's side.... you are starting to see him show up in more and more pedigrees of some very powerfully made cattle that carry big names. Plus I like to use my heifers to test bulls that I haven't had a whole lot of hands on experience with before.... as long as calving won't be a forseeable problem. I usually use the same bull across all of my heifers when possible.... which its usually only 5 or so heifers. That way I see which heifers stand out from the rest.

Danny Boy on some of the high milk EPD heifers. I used New Day on the rest. I really like Danny Boys phenotype. His milk EPD has gone from bad to horrible. Next year I'm leaning towards CRA Bextor. Especially on my Danny heifers. :compute:

My favorite is BR Midland, but going to use 1023 again after calving out a set of his daughters this spring. Time bred 10 hiefers and had 9 Midland calves with 8 being hiefers last fall and with the daughters and grandaughters already in production I am set with his genetics. My Basin Franchishe calves came easy and look great so far. I gave my last Mytty In Focus semen to my neighbor.

SAV Final Answer and Bar EXT.

Haven't tried Mytty . . . why did you give it to your neighbor?

One thing about D806 to consider is temperment. I gave my Mytty In Focus semen to my neighbor because I don't care for the calves. I bred him to some of my best and they are below average as a sire group. Tried Power One a little, they are not much and a little big. Midland is a stand out. My 1023 wet daughters have the most beautiful udders and are great females. This springs 1023 calves are really good looking and I have more coming this fall. My ABS rep was talking up Blueprint today as he was delivering my All Around and sexed K205. Went to look at Forward last spring at Origen and ended up using All Around after going through them I 'll see this fall.

racekannon":1jjyku36 said:
One thing about D806 to consider is temperment. I gave my Mytty In Focus semen to my neighbor because I don't care for the calves. I bred him to some of my best and they are below average as a sire group. Tried Power One a little, they are not much and a little big. Midland is a stand out!!

That has been my concern too,- with some of the sires back in his pedigree- and the reason I haven't used him earlier....But then when AAA came out with their new progeny docility EPD's he was one of the higher rated- so I decided he was worth a try.....

Ranks in the top 1% of the breed for CED and %IMF
Outstanding maternal performance with moderate input: +39.58 $W (top 1%) and +28.30 $EN (top 2%)
Moderate framed, easy fleshing daughters with excellent teat & udder quality and sensible Milk EPDs for harsher environments
Ranks #3 for GTS udder composite traits among active ABS sires
On the new research reports, D806 ranks in the top 25% for both Heifer Pregnancy and Docility EPDs

baxter78":39nirj9e said:
Oldtimer":39nirj9e said:
I'm AIing the heifers to N Bar Prime Time D806- proven calving ease with a CED of +14-- BW of 78 with BW EPD of -1.7, and still has good carcass features as well as positive for capacity and muscling- great udders and teats-- while maintaining a moderate mature frame....

http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/angus. ... o=29AN1520

Weaning weight at 520 aint worth a crap. Yearling weight isnt to impressive either.

How big of a calf can you wean in the desert out there and make a profit?

baxter78":2nzfxtc4 said:
Oldtimer":2nzfxtc4 said:
I'm AIing the heifers to N Bar Prime Time D806- proven calving ease with a CED of +14-- BW of 78 with BW EPD of -1.7, and still has good carcass features as well as positive for capacity and muscling- great udders and teats-- while maintaining a moderate mature frame....

http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/angus. ... o=29AN1520

Weaning weight at 520 aint worth a crap. Yearling weight isnt to impressive either.

To me the WW means a lot less than the Weaning Ratio- as like Eat Beef says a calf on the desert may wean off a lot less than the same one would on top grass conditions...D806's Weaning Ratio was 100- and in last months Sinclair sale they sold several of his sons that had WW's over 600 and even one that was 700...

Old Timer, I am intrigued by your bull choice. Wouldn't or isn't Net Present Value a better choice than Prime Time? NPV has better performance, the same birth and simular IMF. I don't know where your capacity is coming from. Prime Time is a small frame bull. His son NPV weaned off over 700lbs and has a great dam. I like to hear what others think. Why Prime Time over NPV?

highvoltagecattleco":3kwwftbh said:
Old Timer, I am intrigued by your bull choice. Wouldn't or isn't Net Present Value a better choice than Prime Time? NPV has better performance, the same birth and simular IMF. I don't know where your capacity is coming from. Prime Time is a small frame bull. His son NPV weaned off over 700lbs and has a great dam. I like to hear what others think. Why Prime Time over NPV?

I'm mostly looking for maternal qualities- which I've heard Prime Time is strong on...

When I talk of capacity I mean depth and width of body which he is supposed to be positive on with progeny...I know Prime Time is a smaller framed bull- and produces moderate framed cows, which is what I want- around 4- 5 frame, 1100-1200lb cows (not saddle horse size ones :roll: ) ...The bulls I'm using as cleanup bulls are 4 frame...Going along with that Prime Time is supposed to do wonders on udders and teats- is a +18 for milk (where Present Value is over my limit at +26) and Prime Time is +28 for $EN, while Present Value is a negative number.....Prime Time also is strong on scrotal +.56- where Present Value is negative...

High performance bulls don't always make cows that can stand up to this country- without supplementing, which I don't do...They are the type cows that come in open or bred late more often- or in terrible condition because they've put out so much for their calf...I'm more happy with a cow that produces a 550-600 lb calf every year, with the minimum of input and cost, than those that have to live at the feedbunk to bring in a 700 lber...

I have heard really good things about All Around. The rep from Bovine Elite said that he had been up to Connealy's and the All Around calves stood out above all of the other sire groups.

racekannon, which Blueprint bull was your rep talking about?

I bred the majority of our mature cowherd to Mile High..... very impressed with the calves I have so far.

Old Timer, Thank you for the response. What you wrote was very insightful. I like to hear why folks take their herds in certain directions. Have you ever considered Great Plains. I think he may fit your program. :cboy:

highvoltagecattleco":2a4pjjsm said:
Old Timer, Thank you for the response. What you wrote was very insightful. I like to hear why folks take their herds in certain directions. Have you ever considered Great Plains. I think he may fit your program. :cboy:

Nope- Haven't tried Great Plains- but would be willing to try him..I guess why I chose D806 over him was that - #1 in my old age I'm getting lazier ;-) and don't like to check heifers or do a lot of work calving them- and D806 has a higher CED- lower BW and is more proven for both...

I was at a sale last fall (Hould Angus) where I got to see several D806 sons and daughters and was impressed by what I saw..One of his sons was the sale topper...

Also I prefer to keep Great Plains grandsire (EXT) as far back in a pedigree as possible- if at all- altho I've had mixed results using EXT sons years ago...

Like I said- I've looked at D806 for a couple years and wanted to use him- but was a little worried about disposition with some of the bulls in his pedigree (EXT, 5204)- but then when the docility ratings came out giving his progeny a good rating, decided it was worth the chance... And around here if they aren't quiet they turn into hamburger quick...

Angus In Texas":2v8y4lgu said:
I like avalon used Crossover on my heifers. I like the overall power and muscularity he displays especially when combined with the carcass numbers he carries. I like the fact that he won Denver but is not your prototypical "show" bull. His BW is very modest at only .4 with a CED of 10. I really like the 6T6 bull on the dam's side.... you are starting to see him show up in more and more pedigrees of some very powerfully made cattle that carry big names. Plus I like to use my heifers to test bulls that I haven't had a whole lot of hands on experience with before.... as long as calving won't be a forseeable problem. I usually use the same bull across all of my heifers when possible.... which its usually only 5 or so heifers. That way I see which heifers stand out from the rest.

This BT Crossover? BT Crossover 758N Reg: +14509685

To each their own, but I'd not use anything with Ultra in their pedigree on heifers and his accuracies are still only at .85. There's lots of room for the BW EPD to go up. I hope you can be around when they calve and that all goes well.

Angus In Texas":37risuze said:
I have heard really good things about All Around. The rep from Bovine Elite said that he had been up to Connealy's and the All Around calves stood out above all of the other sire groups.

racekannon, which Blueprint bull was your rep talking about?

I bred the majority of our mature cowherd to Mile High..... very impressed with the calves I have so far.

Blueprint is a 1023 son ABS picked up, didn't ask any questions as I still have 1023 semen. Glad to here about the All Around calves, I have some coming this fall and bought more semen to use this spring. He impressed me much more than Forward, they were side by side at Origen. While touring Genex I found an Onward son bred at Harrisons that Vermillion bought at Midland last spring used him and his calves are looking real nice so far.

Latest posts