Angus Genetic Condition Update

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
American Angus Association®

Genetic Condition Update
Developmental Duplication
(08/12/13)

A genetic condition has been identified and documented in Angus cattle from research initiated
in Australia with Dr. Jon Beever at the University of Illinois. This condition, inherited as a
simple recessive, has been designated as Developmental Duplication (DD).

The A.I. organizations requested that the American Angus Association provide to the
membership the identity of and preliminary test results for those 1,099 Angus bulls tested by Dr.
Jon Beever of the University of Illinois to determine whether they were carriers or free of the
mutation identified for this genetic condition.
The Association Board of Director's decision to provide that information to the membership is
based in part on its understanding that the test used here was run on a set of animals requested by
Dr. Beever from the A.I. organizations for research purposes and therefore remains preliminary
in nature.
Earlier this afternoon, the Board of Directors convened by phone to consider the implications of
this genetic condition. At the conclusion of that meeting, President Trowbridge appointed a Task
Force and directed it to report to the full Board as soon as practicable on how the Association
should respond to this condition. In fulfilling that charge, the Task Force was asked to consider
the best interests of the breed and the membership, the evolving scientific advances in the field
of genetics, our membership's ability to manage such conditions and the likelihood that the
scientific community will continue to identify additional genetic conditions in all breeds in the
future.
We will keep you advised on the Board's approach as it occurs.
For an update on the research by Dr. Beever, the list of the animals and their preliminary test
results, please click here:

http://www.angus.org/Pub/DD/DD_Update08122013.pdf

This is the defect where the majority of calves carried to term and born exhibiting this trait are born with additional limbs, usually duplication of the front legs and originating from the neck or shoulder region.

The report says that they believe the evidence suggests that most homozygous carriers of the defect are not carried to term, meaning very few are observed at birth. They estimate a carrier frequency of about 6% among US sires.

B/R New Design 036 is a carrier, as well as at least three of his most well known sons. Bon View New design 036, GAR Predestined, and GAR New Design 5050. Ken Caryl Mr Angus 8017 Reg# 8989216 born in 1977, is the oldest reported carrier. That name appears back in many pedigrees. He is the Grand Sire of the Great Grandmother of 036.
Rito 2v1, Sitz N D 458n, B/R New Day 454, Bon View New Design 1407 are also carriers...

ousoonerfan22":2usuhitd said:
Is that long list at the end of the article on AAA all carriers?

No just those listed DDC (Developmental Duplication Carrier).... The ones listed DDF have been tested and are non carriers (Developmental Duplication Free)

This sure makes Greg Goldens (Cole Creek Angus) catalog line "This herd is free of and has NO 9J9-Precision, NO Fame-Focus, NO 315-036-New Design, and NO Bando 155-Bando 598" that much more significant- and valued...

Again those breeders that didn't chase the bigger-better-faster A.I. bull of the month will probably have little/no negative effect from this..

ALACOWMAN":1s622s4l said:
wonder what the chances my predestined son , or his daughters ''im retaining '' will be carriers??

50/50 (not a pun) unless the only luck you have is bad luck......

If you have gotten 30+ calves out of him and have not noticed anything and have not noticed a problem out of any of his daughters I would not take them to salebarn just yet. But seeing as they are mentioned in an article referring to less than 6% of the Angus population in the world I am willing to offer you half of what you would have taken for them yesterday or this morning before you read the article.

We have two cows with B/R New Design 036 in their bloodline so are they most likely carriers?
I was looking at buying a bull this week so surely anybody selling bulls will not sell a bull with a known carrier in their bloodline?

ousoonerfan22":3nnb8oss said:
We have two cows with B/R New Design 036 in their bloodline so are they most likely carriers?
I was looking at buying a bull this week so surely anybody selling bulls will not sell a bull with a known carrier in their bloodline?

Depends on the first question whether the animals subsequent to 036 have been tested free or not yet.

For the second question history shows some people are totally unscrupulous when it comes to dumping potential carriers on the market. As there is no commercial test available yet, unless the possibility of the defect being passed on has been eliminated through the subsequent descendants used then you have to treat them as potential carriers. A quick scan through my sale animals for this fall shows me I have 2 bulls and 2 heifers who are in an untested descendant line from known carriers (either 036 or Ken Caryl Mr. Angus) so unless the test is available prior to my sale they will be pulled.

Robert,
What about the companies selling semen will they pull the semen on any possible carriers?

robert":2gj67p9v said:
ALACOWMAN":2gj67p9v said:
wonder what the chances my predestined son , or his daughters ''im retaining '' will be carriers??

50/50 (not a pun) unless the only luck you have is bad luck......
thats what i was thinking,, even though mine are crossbred commercial.. hate for it to screw up my future bull selection.. as far as the luck goes, ive always lost when i gambled
:cowboy:

u4411clb[u:svrtwm0o said:
":svrtwm0o]If you have gotten 30+ calves out of him [/u]and have not noticed anything and have not noticed a problem out of any of his daughters I would not take them to salebarn just yet. But seeing as they are mentioned in an article referring to less than 6% of the Angus population in the world I am willing to offer you half of what you would have taken for them yesterday or this morning before you read the article.
the only thing ive noticed is he carries a red gene , i aint had any problems ... havent heard of anyone else for that matter using predestined bulls. course if they did it, would most likely get written off as something else...though struck by lightnin' wouldnt wash

Don't want to put anyone in panic mode, but other breeds are affected too. LAMBERT of Brinks is a carrier. That name needs no introduction among Brangus breeders.

OK, I am panicking a little bit. I tend to get a little excited when things like this happen!

I sure hope it's through his dam and not Lead Gun. Off to do some research. :bang:

ricebeltrancher":3fmk6al5 said:
Don't want to put anyone in panic mode, but other breeds are affected too. LAMBERT of Brinks is a carrier. That name needs no introduction among Brangus breeders.

OK, I am panicking a little bit. I tend to get a little excited when things like this happen!

Yep- and red angus that utilized some of these bloodlines.... Also if like the earlier found genetic defects, it will be found in the continentals (simmi, gelbvieh, limmi, etc.) that used black angus base to get their cattle black....

Here is a list of the ABS and Origen angus bulls and their status:
http://absbeef.files.wordpress.com/2013 ... 2-2013.pdf

Hmmm, SAV Free Spirit is in a pasture a mile down thr road from me. This could be interesting.