Angus Bull leftovers

Help Support CattleToday:

Maxx

Reaction score
A buddy of mine had some cows and heifers inseminated last week and had some leftover straws. Does anyone know anything about Power Tool 9108 ?

They are great little cows IF you can keep them fed.
Where are you located?
I've seen quite a few of them. I really liked what I saw except the part about them being a little to focused on raising the calf they had to think about the next one. He'd be a good fit for a spring calving herd with good feed but that's about the only application I'd recommend him for. The ones I saw were sopping wet even when the feed wasn't there.

I am located in South Central Alabama. I am a rookie at cattle, what do yo mean by sopping wet when no feed? Thanks for your reply.

I think CP is saying they put all their intake into milk production. Its a good thing to an extent, but not at the cost of major amounts of condition on the cow. It may keep her from breeding back and if she is bred back when nursing, it will cost the calf in utero the nutrition it needs at key stages of developement..... I think that's what he was alluding to....

Yep. The Power tool daughters are big time milkers. That's fine as long as you have the feed to support it and keep them in good enough condition to breed back with the next calf but that might not always be the case. A cow will take care of her baby first, herself second, and only then think about doing it again. If you push to hard in any direction you're losing ground somewhere else.
That being said, your location might be one of the places where I would use a bull like him but it would depend on your pasture management. It would either be a home run or a headache.

Could you tell me one that would be a better option so that I can get it ordered. Again I thank you for your input.

I had some Power Tool 9108 calves last year. Liked them pretty well, kept a bull calf by him. Used that calf this year on a group of heifers. Also have a heifer out of 9108 that looks like she will make a nice looking cow. His calves did well I thought here, sold some as steers that were out of commercial cows, they were some of the best Angus cross calves that we have ever had. Hoover Dam calves also did well here too.

To have a "new" milk epd of 35 or 36 makes you an outlier. I don't know what the current average edps are yet but I think many bulls had their milk epd go down. Power Tool and Sitz Top Game are two that have big milk epds. Top Game is +38.
The breed average used to be +24. Sav Resource and Sav Renown dropped from 29 and 28 to 18 and 19.

Average for milk is still 24 according to the percentiles on the Angus website