Angus AI bull choice

Help Support CattleToday:

Cormac

Reaction score
I need more heifers and cows (at this point I have 8). I am thinking of using the following bull simply because because the bloodlines involved typically make good cows, namely 6807, EXT, and Ideal 4465. Once I have an adequate amount of females, I'll move in other directions.
http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/angus. ... o=29AN1674
Is this a sound and reasonable plan? An alternate plan is to AI some directly to N Bar Emulation EXT and others to 6807.

I like this bull but am going to wate and try to see waht kind of calves he has. I guesse it would kind of be dependant on what cows you re going to breed him to. Yes all of those bulls are good ones, real promise in this bull IMO.

I need more heifers and cows (at this point I have . I am thinking of using the following bull simply because because the bloodlines involved typically make good cows, namely 6807, EXT, and Ideal 4465. Once I have an adequate amount of females, I'll move in other directions.
Is this a sound and reasonable plan? An alternate plan is to AI some directly to N Bar Emulation EXT and others to 6807.

Cormac,

I too have been "tracking" this bull. He has the makeup to be a good one. Still haven't been able to pull the trigger with the availability of other higher accuracy bulls. If you are are flushing, I would stick to EXT and 6807 like you said. However, for straight AI breeding there are other options available that could better suit the pocket book and still give you the results. Leachman Right Time (EXT son), OCC Emblazon 854E (6807 son), and Rito 6I6 of 4B20 6807 (6807 son) are all viable options for the type of breeding you are wanting to do and all $50/straw and under. Good Luck.

"Always drink upstream from the herd."
krenwic

Cormac":2ocrqvud said:
I am thinking of using the following bull simply because because the bloodlines involved typically make good cows, namely 6807, EXT, and Ideal 4465. .
Depending on how good a heat detector and AI Tech you have, breed some and/or flush some of your better producers directly to EXT. I don't know of a better cow producer. I like everything I can see about this bull. I would breed some to him and some to Right Time. Right time is a proven cow producer.

how can you think this bull will make good cows? he might have 25 yearling calves by now at best. you are 4 years from any good info on how his daughters work. I think i would go with bulls that have a track record for cow making. this isnt like carcass quality where everything is highly heritable and spelled out for you in numbers.

First off, bear in mind I have not yet completed my first year in this business so that is my experience level. With that said I don't "know" what this bull will produce, but "think" with the family tree he has, chances are he will make a better cow than a lot of other combo's. I posted this question to see if my logic was flawed. If you feel it is, if you don't mind, why not take a moment to educate me. Who do you suggest as great cow makers?
la4angus and krenwic, I will look into Right Time. Thanks

Cormac":rmwkbtf6 said:
I need more heifers and cows (at this point I have 8). I am thinking of using the following bull simply because because the bloodlines involved typically make good cows, namely 6807, EXT, and Ideal 4465. Once I have an adequate amount of females, I'll move in other directions.

His pedigree is a good one, especially for females, but he is a youngster. We've got too much EXT influence in our herd to use him, but he will probably work for a lot of people.

We like our Right Time cows as well as our EXT cows. Look at the ABS bull Foresight. We'll have one calf this spring and plan to use him more. He's young, too, but we've talked to several people who are very happy with their calves. We have also been well pleased with our TC Foreman heifers. They've grown out well and their dispositions are acceptable.

I think the 878 bull is a good cow maker. He's pretty well balanced, but pay attention to frame. In our experience, he'll take some frame off the cows.

Always remember the bull is only half the equation. :eek:

You are on the right track with EXT and 6807. Waht people ment is there are pleanty of good proven bulls with the same blood line. This bull could go south sort of like GAR Integrity. He was the next best thing and sold for 255,000 and now IMO is in the crapper. Just that fast. I at least like to go with bulls that have .6 or higher on his accuracies. I do not think you have to wait until they are .98 like some. By then every one has his calves and so on.

Scotty":314lv74r said:
I do not think you have to wait until they are .98 like some. By then every one has his calves and so on.
My attitude is that if you want them for the cow herd, then it doesn't matter if everyone has his calves or not. If you are wanting to sell something that is rare and of good quality, then that's a different story.

I agree with L4, if a bull has what you are looking for in your cowherd, use him and see if you like what he produces. There's lots of bull that don't have the high accuracies the first year they are listed in the stud catalog. Look at alot of the bulls that are big-time now, they didn't have high accuracy epd's when they started becoming popular, but they had dependable pedigrees to get everyone to use them.

The bull that was posted has a pretty dependable pedigree to use with a .3 accuracie in my mind. Now, if he were a bull with a make up of everything in the ABS catalog, I would think differently. And coming from Sinclair, that bull has a lot of research behind his breeding. He should work if that's what youre looking for in your herd.

ENNOT":36tifxnd said:
Look at alot of the bulls that are big-time now, they didn't have high accuracy epd's when they started becoming popular, but they had dependable pedigrees to get everyone to use them.

how many of them were in the catalogs when they were young and never made it to the catalog 2 years later?

Latest posts