And there they go

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
2 weeks after banding and the nuts are starting to fall off..
First one i noticed.

4 1/2 month old sim/angus

All banded calves no longer following cows in heat with the bulls....Not good to be one of the last cows in heat, this poor girl has the 2 old bulls, 2 young bulls and now 3 nonbanded 4 1/2 month old bulls. I saw one of the babies actually breed the cow. Gonna keep a good eye on the heifers...

cowgirl8":1jeqnqpf said:
Not good to be one of the last cows in heat, this poor girl has the 2 old bulls, 2 young bulls and now 3 nonbanded 4 1/2 month old bulls. I saw one of the babies actually breed the cow. Gonna keep a good eye on the heifers...
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Yougottabeshytenme........more of that good management and breeding program at work......take a video next time.

Cowgirl, I have to ask. How old is this baby that breed a cow? You mention calves that are 4 and a half months old. Are those the ones doing the breeding or are they even younger? BTW: I am assuming you are employing exaggeration. I have seen male calves mounting but not actually inserting the penis as it is impossible for them to have the reach. I could be wrong. Maybe, they coached the cow to kneel.

He, and i'm going to assume, unsuccessfully bred a younger first calf cows in there. They are smaller than the older cows. But he was penetrated but i dont know just how much. At the end of july, he will be 5 months... Seeing that there are very few cows left to breed, i will indeed try and get a video. But, since they are in with older bulls, these little guys only get a chance when there are several in heat at once.
Although, here he is afterwards....forgot i had taken this..so i guess he didnt finish...lol

inyati13":cziaj43x said:
Cowgirl, I have to ask. How old is this baby that breed a cow? You mention calves that are 4 and a half months old. Are those the ones doing the breeding or are they even younger? BTW: I am assuming you are employing exaggeration. I have seen male calves mounting but not actually inserting the penis as it is impossible for them to have the reach. I could be wrong. Maybe, they coached the cow to kneel.
Those smaller heifers getting bred are probably 4 and half months old too.

TexasBred":2l750npu said:
inyati13":2l750npu said:
Those smaller heifers getting bred are probably 4 and half months old too.
I havent seen any heifers in heat, but as long as all the bulls are in there breeding cows, anyone can get to a heifer. All bulls will leave here soon.

And that's why its recommended to lute on heifer calves at weaning time. I always banded the bulls before they are 3 months old.

But it seems that you have many calves age range from few weeks to 6-7 months old all in same herd or at least I am assumed it.

Taurus":2vwq5e53 said:
And that's why its recommended to lute on heifer calves at weaning time. I always banded the bulls before they are 3 months old.

But it seems that you have many calves age range from few weeks to 6-7 months old all in same herd or at least I am assumed it.
We have a 3 1/2 month breeding season. Our calves will be in a 3ish month range. I have some that are 4 1/2 to 1 1/2... With an occasional oops from a neighbors bull, we go many years without UhOhs.. We had 2 this year, but, i also have 2 extra calves we wouldnt have had this year and they were from a pasture that we didnt leave any calves bulls..... If see any of the bulls messing with the young heifers, that will help us decide on whether to lute them or not.

We were in the process of moving to our current property. At the time, my Angus bull decided to take on the neighbor's red Brahman. Twice, he tore through the fence, whipped the neighbor's bull, and we had to take him home and repair fence. The second time, we put him in the corral to wait until our move. So our herd bull had to live in jail for about 6 weeks before we moved, during the height of breeding time.
While he was in jail, one of the smaller cows was in a standing heat. I observed a 5 month old bullcalf trying his best and showing plenty of potential for settling her. And she was patiently standing downhill for him to go for it.
We moved, and I ended up selling the bull. That cow calved this year and the dates coincide with her having been bred by the calf. He was Angus sired but had some ear. Its hard to tell when they are all black but the calf has a little bit of ear!
Bought a 535 pound weaned heifer at the salebarn, shoulda luted her, but didnt'. She calved 9 months later, a charolais calf, no assistance needed. Where there is a will there is a way.

Latest posts