And, the Other Story

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Now, as to the bull that is getting a ride to town. This pasture is a little closer to home, only 1/2 hour away. In beautiful prairie country with huge hills and some darn steep coulees. The lady that we rent from calls us up about some cows being out, she says she will go out and count to see what is missing. Comes up with the bull and one pair missing.

So the next morning we load up the two most experienced horses, and the 2 dogs. Of course this has to be one of the hottest, muggiest days we have had to this point. After searching the section or so of land that this bull and cow should be on, we finally track down the bull. In the meantime we find that some of the neighbour's cows are in some of our rented land, one of his bulls is having a discussion across the fence with a different neighbour's bull and our fella is happily courting a lady. What makes life even more interesting, is the fact that THESE cows are not used to being handled by horses, and they take off at the first sign of one. Which means the easy way, of taking the bull back with the cow and then separating them will not work. So we do it the hard way. Separate them, and head the bull back by himself. This seems to be working OK, until suddenly he realizes that his lady friend is left behind. Then it is off at a gallop, through a fence(if you want to call it that) twice. Then, back through the cows, which are scattering in 100 directions, and again off the way we want him. In the meantime our dogs are worn out. Not used to the heat or the hills. The younger one keeps working until he gets booted and then that is it for him. He wasn't hurt, but tired enough to be discouraged. We finally get the bull up the last hill to about 100 feet from the hole in the fence. This is where the stand off happens.

Picture 1 PO'd 2000 lb bull, 2 wiped out dogs and 2 sweaty 1/2 tired horses. He is faced up to us, and he is hot, tired and mean. But since we are only a few feet from the gate, I decide to see if he is bluff or not. NOT, as soon as my horse takes a couple steps toward him, he comes for us. I ride a big horse, but he's not big enough to take on a 2000 lb bull. We wheel, and get out of there, although DH says he was awfully close to hitting the horse. This is why we use the most experienced horses for job's like these. The bull tried us again, and we decided to head back to the yard for the truck, and maybe a gun. By this time, I am to the point that if he wasn't worth a bit of money, I WOULD just drop him where he stood.

So DH heads out with the truck to try the bull, and I head out on the horse to chase the aforementioned neighbour's cows back onto his side of the fence and see how bad the fence is. Turns out that as soon as the bull sees the truck, he decides he would rather head back home, that to have that fight again (he has tasted the grillguard before). I get the cows out, see that the fence is pretty much completely destroyed, beyond my ability with fencing pliers. And then head over to our cows, to help bring the bull in so we can load him and haul him home. Easier to bring in the entire bunch than just this bull. Then it is load the horses, the bull and head back to fix the fence. Get that done, and now the bull is waiting for Tuesday to go to town. I won't miss him.

He has been a bit of a problem all spring. Facing up the horses, crawling fences and so on. Thought we could make the breeding season with him, and we almost did. He won't see another breeding season. Don't know how some people can keep a bull around til they are 8 years old or older. This guy is 5 and already he is to dangerous to keep around. Got 1 other 5 year old, and I hope he keeps his manners for a couple more years!!

As to the missing cow, it turns out that none of us can count right. She never was missing.

Another typical day of having cattle. They will always do the unexpected at the wrong timing.
Seems everything goes smooth around here then its like something in the air or maby a bird or something tells the cattle,"ok girls the owner is relaxing too much,time to break a gate or some fence and runnaway".

Cal

you got lucky that the bull didnt ramm your horse.a mean bull like that cant be kept.its to dangerous to handle them.i know this friend that on his horse.an they unloaed a reg beefmaster bull another fruend had used.an the bull wasnt used to horses.an went up to the horse an butted him in the chest.almost knocked the guy out of the saddle.so he loaded that bull up an sent him straight to the sale.

Well, we don't mess with cattle like that. Just too risky. This guy was giving us warning signs that he was going to become a problem this spring. He was still backing down, but you knew that sooner than later he was going to become unmanageable. We had hoped to make the breeding season with him, but with 2 weeks to go he is off to town. He will be hamburger for someone shortly.....

We have enough experience to know how far to push, and know how to read the body language. Plus, the horse I was on knows cattle, he has the sense of when to push, and when to back off, and the speed and agility to pull it off. In this business you have to have a horse you can trust, and you have to trust that horse too. Doesn't mean that things can't happen, just that you can do things more safely.

It is really hard to send a $3000 bull down the road after only 3 seasons, but we have had bulls that have gone down the road after only 1 season. But, I hate having to watch my back even part of the time. You have to be alert at all times, but there really is no need to have to watch your back. Those kind of cattle belong in only 1 place.....

Latest posts