Anaplasmosis prevention

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT

Reaction score
I have been reading all the stuff about Anaplas. on another post sounds as if there are a lot of different ideas about it. Like I have said I had a real problem with it several years ago, had a cow that I feel was a carrier but that's a long story, Here is my dilemma I have two places that are close to 50 miles apart and both places have a neighbor that are "cattle traders" so there are lots of cattle that come and go, no doubt there could be some that are carriers of Lord only knows what but anaplas is the only thing I have ever had a problem with. I keep medicated meal and mineral out year around and have not had any problems for last 5 years. I have a Vet that I have been letting him work my cattle. He has a very good set-up and can handle Brahman cross cattle and when I work my own I have to do it by myself so I have been just using this Vet, but he never changes out the needles . is there something that I can have him dip them in or what should I do to protect my stock ?? For the last few years I am always concern when Anaplas. season is here. What would some of you all do if you were in my place ????
would like to hear from LuckyP and any other Vets that are on this site , but everyone is welcome to give advice.
thanks

The few times, and I do mean few, that my vet was here at the time I was working cows and vaccinating, I provided the needles and syringes and had everything set-up prior to working them. This way when he gave the injections, I would just hand him a fresh needle and syring all set up and ready to go. He loved it! Said it saved him some time from having to daw out each one each time. It went well and worked out smoothly for both of us.

Bryant,
When I was in practice, I didn't change needles between every animal. I knew better; it SHOULD be done. Physicians don't reuse needles on their patients. They're inexpensive!. If your vet is too cheap - yeah, I said it! - to change needles, do as workinonit says - provide them - and require him/her to do so.

I have no doubt that I spread BLV infection throughout my herd by reusing needles - to the point that I had a 90% BLV infection rate when I finally tested the herd, back in 2007 - and changed my ways. Anaplasmosis can be transmitted in the same manner - studies done at KSU indicated that when an animal with detectible Anaplasma organisms in its bloodstream was stuck with a needle, and then the same needle stuck in the next cow behind her... transmission was in the neighborhood of 60%.

No female or breeding bull here ever (anymore) gets an injection with a needle that's been in another animal - yes, I will reuse needles on steers and known BLV-infected cows (steers - somebody's gonna eat 'em before BLV would be a problem, BLV+ cows... the damage is already done). No in-and-out of vaccine/medicine bottles with a needle that's been in an animal; stick a needle in the bottle and draw out of it, then put on the needle you'll use to inject. Every cow at breeding or palpation gets her own disposable OB sleeve. Yeah, sometimes it's a PITA to be having to change out needles between every animal... but, it's the RIGHT thing to do.
I will use the same needle to administer multiple injections to an individual animal - just be sure to give MLVs first, then killed bacterins/vaccines.

Your cattle have probably already been exposed if it's a big problem where you're at. If they were exposed early in life they probably got over it and you never knew they had it.
Here where I'm at it's never a problem unless someone brings in older non-native cattle and then all of a sudden we're reminded that anaplasmosis is here. All the native cattle have had it so we never see a problem with it and I don't know ANYONE that switches out needles unless there's a problem with the one they're using so we are all spreading it around.

CP,
I change needles because of Bovine Leukosis Virus(BLV). If anaplaz was a threat, it would help diminish the likelihood that *I* was responsible for spreading it. I'm sure the vast majority of producers - and probably most food-animal vets don't change out needles; I understand that it's not convenient, but... It's wrong. MDs, small animal vets, equine vets - they don't reuse needles... why should we think it's OK to do it with our cattle?

With a small herd of about 45 cows at the time, I was losing at least one, maybe two, cows to lymphosarcoma every year, for several years running. 5-10% of BLV-infected cattle will eventually develop lymphosarcoma or leukemia.
Finally broke down and tested the entire herd in 2007 - 40 of 44 adult cows BLV+, 1 of 4 yearlings, 1 of 9 weanlings. Started switching needles - not reusing them on anything except steers and known BLV-infected animals. We've grown to about 75 breeding age females.
Have not had another lymphosarcoma case - until this week; lost a 7 y.o. cow to it; she had gone rapidly to near-skeletal status when the rest of the herd was mud-fat; separated her from her 5-month old calf, was feeding her pretty good, but she just kept going backwards. Tumors throughout her forestomachs,abomasum, spleen, and abdominal lymph nodes.
Have not gone back and re-bled the whole herd to see if our 'best-management practices' have diminished herd prevalence, but at some point, that's probably on the radar screen.

Changing needles out between animals is basic BQA protocol. I give you a lot of respect LP, to come on a public forum and confess you didn't practice as you should have been and we're taught. Takes a real man to admit his errors publicly, especially for the edification of strangers. Hats off to you sir. :tiphat:

bball":12nqs2bo said:
Changing needles out between animals is basic BQA protocol. I give you a lot of respect LP, to come on a public forum and confess you didn't practice as you should have been and we're taught. Takes a real man to admit his errors publicly, especially for the edification of strangers. Hats off to you sir. :tiphat:

Agree wholeheartedly.

We always have a big box of needles, and gallon ziplok baggies sorted by the size of the syringes. Still not always sure we get the needle size correctly for any given shot...

Latest posts