An honest culture

Help Support CattleToday:

VanC

Reaction score
I like to think most Americans would do the same thing.

While looting often becomes an issue post-disaster, it's been the exact opposite in Japan.

Since the March earthquake and tsunami that leveled much of Japan, thousands of wallets containing a total of $48 million in cash have washed ashore -- and been turned in, ABC reports. In addition, 5,700 safes containing $30 million in cash also have turned up.

Ryuji Ito, professor emeritus at Japan's Yokohama City University, tells the Daily Mail that these acts of integrity are simply reflective of the culture:

"...The fact that a hefty 2.3 billion yen in cash has been returned to its owners shows the high level of ethical awareness in the Japanese people."

And doing the right thing doesn't just end with the people who found the money. Japanese officials have also worked tirelessly to track down owners and return safes and other valuables.

Police in Miyagi prefecture searched for residents at evacuation centers and made their way through missing person reports and address forms at the post office, according to ABC. Police also met with mayors and called any cell phone numbers they could find.

Officials tell the news outlet that the difficulty lay in determining whether homes were gone and if the owners were actually still alive.

VanC":hdr9b65w said:

While looting often becomes an issue post-disaster, it's been the exact opposite in Japan.

Since the March earthquake and tsunami that leveled much of Japan, thousands of wallets containing a total of $48 million in cash have washed ashore -- and been turned in, ABC reports. In addition, 5,700 safes containing $30 million in cash also have turned up.

Ryuji Ito, professor emeritus at Japan's Yokohama City University, tells the Daily Mail that these acts of integrity are simply reflective of the culture:

"...The fact that a hefty 2.3 billion yen in cash has been returned to its owners shows the high level of ethical awareness in the Japanese people."

And doing the right thing doesn't just end with the people who found the money. Japanese officials have also worked tirelessly to track down owners and return safes and other valuables.

Police in Miyagi prefecture searched for residents at evacuation centers and made their way through missing person reports and address forms at the post office, according to ABC. Police also met with mayors and called any cell phone numbers they could find.

Officials tell the news outlet that the difficulty lay in determining whether homes were gone and if the owners were actually still alive.

Yea sure Van...maybe in Iowa.......

VanC":lpu5w1zb said:

"...The fact that a hefty 2.3 billion yen in cash has been returned to its owners shows the high
level of ethical awareness in the Japanese people."

You mean like in New Orleans after the Hurricane? :lol:

Isom is was bad here after Rita as well just didn't get the news coverage, difference was in Texas everyone armed up pretty quick. National Guard and DPS swarmed the area and clamped down fast after that got in. What amazed me was the people that evacuated with no plan or cash. With all the computer systems down they couldn't use their plastic and were in a real pickle that is when things started getting ugly. Desperate people do desperate things not counting the low lifes. I don't understand how a man that lives in this area can not have an evacuation plan and supplies for his family. Most neighbors around here could be self sustaining for months.

Yes, the US of A population is so naive and unprepared. Too much dependence on ATM's, Online Banking, Debit & Credit Cards, etc. They haven't a clue for any plan in case the "Satellite Network Crashes"... For me, I'll stick with a "paper trail" (paper money, writing checks, etc.). Those people will save "pictures and teddy bears" and forget to have a stash of CASH (any amount) to quickly grab in case of a disaster...(almost forgot...grab your gun and ammo to take with you too...). Also, keep your vehicle gas tank filled...and couple jugs of drinking water...

JMO

Running Arrow Bill":33ff0n3m said:
Yes, the US of A population is so naive and unprepared. Too much dependence on ATM's, Online Banking, Debit & Credit Cards, etc. They haven't a clue for any plan in case the "Satellite Network Crashes"... For me, I'll stick with a "paper trail" (paper money, writing checks, etc.). Those people will save "pictures and teddy bears" and forget to have a stash of CASH (any amount) to quickly grab in case of a disaster...(almost forgot...grab your gun and ammo to take with you too...). Also, keep your vehicle gas tank filled...and couple jugs of drinking water...

JMO
And have a plan for "physiological necessities" when there are no facilities available on your evacuation route and traffic is bumper to bumper.

Ryder":191d6p8u said:
Running Arrow Bill":191d6p8u said:

JMO
And have a plan for "physiological necessities" when there are no facilities available on your evacuation route and traffic is bumper to bumper.
I evacuated during Rita bumper to bumper. Almost shot a guy at a gas station.. ill stay from now on and take my chances...

I would like to think that Canadians would behave the same as the Japanese in a time of crisis but my rose colored glasses are scratched and I am more of a pessimist especially with what those houligans did after Vancouver lost the Stanley Cup. What an absolute embarrassment to our country and it's citizens . :???:

It doesn't even take a sports victory (or loss) any more in the good old U S of A. How about that "flash mob" thing they got going in Philadelphia? Probably going on in many places, just not as publicized. They just get together and rush a store and help themselves to whatever they want. Or, just randomly attack white people on the streets.

Now the mayor of Philadelphia is getting grief because he told them to pull up their pants and act like human beings......... :bang:

Well, that is expecting a lot, I suppose. :hide:

It used to be like that here, but as the last few weeks shows that is not the case anymore. IMO it is mainly because we are both to mulitcultural, not enough natives to remain that loyal to the Country anymore.
Notice in Japan they are nearly all Janpanees. It was like that in Sri Lanka after the tsunami, people were reunited with what belongings could be found. My Step-daughters Mum had taken a ring she had lost the diamond from, to have it repaired as the diamonds are cheaper there than here, she was to collect it on 27th but alas the tsunami hit on the 26th, and a year later the man from the repair shop was visiting England, and he phoned my s-daughter to let her know and if she could meet him in London as he had her mothers ring with him. He only charged her for the diamond, not the repair or anything else, how about that for honesty. It has always touched me how kind the people were there. The only kind of looting that happened was for water and food, but I wouldn't say that was looting that was survival.

Jim62":3qw5ibkk said:
It doesn't even take a sports victory (or loss) any more in the good old U S of A. How about that "flash mob" thing they got going in Philadelphia? Probably going on in many places, just not as publicized. They just get together and rush a store and help themselves to whatever they want. Or, just randomly attack white people on the streets.

Now the mayor of Philadelphia is getting grief because he told them to pull up their pants and act like human beings......... :bang:

Well, that is expecting a lot, I suppose. :hide:

The problem there is they know they are jumping on innocent unarmed people. I promise you if that happens in Texas there will be gunfire from the store owners and shoppers as well.

Latest posts