Amount of Feed

Help Support CattleToday:

gallowaygirl

Reaction score
This is kind of a basic question but I am looking for information. I own Galloways, a "moderate framed" cow. They are on slim pasture, and have access to the woods where they do most of their foraging. I am looking for guesses on how much they will eat per cow during winter. They are bred for spring/summer calving. Right now I throw them about 1/4 small square bale a day now, but it's low quality, first cutting, rained on, etc. Just trying to figure a guesstimate to see if I need to get more hay or if I'll be fine. Thanks in advance!

Thanks dun but now I have a problem. I am trying to put in my own grain into the program as it is not included, but I don't know what DM % or TDN % stand for when trying to fill in the values. I thought DM was Dry Matter, but I don't know how to figure that out based on the label from my feed bag. I also have NO CLUE as to what TDN stands for.

Help!!!!!!!!!:help:

(please)

Hey! I did learn something in nutrition! TDN stands for total digestible nutrients. DM should be found out at the feed store you get it from. Basic stuff, like hay, can have its figures and %'s found on the internet with no problems. Hope this helps.

So to get TDN I would need to add up all the nutrients (crude protein, fat, fiber, calcium, phosphorous, selenium, etc) ?

How many do you have that you are only feeding 1/4 small bale per day.

1/4 per cow or 1/4 for all of them? I keep mine with all they hay they can eat 24/7/365.

gallowaygirl":3dj3wpmu said:
So to get TDN I would need to add up all the nutrients (crude protein, fat, fiber, calcium, phosphorous, selenium, etc) ?
Don't know if what Dun posted helped ya, but that would be INcorrect. TDN refers to what the cows "gets out of" her feed. I don't know exactly how it's figured. Once again, contact the feed supplier. They should know and be happy to give you the info.

gallowaygirl":2b8ym1eo said:

No. TDN should be listed if you're feeding bagged feed. For hay, you would need to get your hay tested to know what the TDN is. That can be done by contacting your local extension office, or local universities for the address of the testing lab, as well as the collecting procedures.

gallowaygirl":2s4rrgps said:
This is kind of a basic question but I am looking for information. I own Galloways, a "moderate framed" cow. They are on slim pasture, and have access to the woods where they do most of their foraging. I am looking for guesses on how much they will eat per cow during winter. They are bred for spring/summer calving. Right now I throw them about 1/4 small square bale a day now, but it's low quality, first cutting, rained on, etc. Just trying to figure a guesstimate to see if I need to get more hay or if I'll be fine. Thanks in advance!

Where are you located?
How many cows?
Weather conditions?
Cow condition?
Feed available in woods?
Types of shelter?
Eating snow or drinking water through the winter?

All important questions that need to be taken into consideration before a decent answer can be given.

Grain may be required and more importantly it may NOT be required. Better to spend as little as possible.

I can tell you that if you are talking small squares, they need a lot more per cow than a 1/4 bale. Throw a bunch of hay out there - when it is almost all cleaned up - that is the right amount. Suspect there is very little loose hay lying around after you feed your animals.

In my area we plan on using 10 round bales (6 footers) per cow per winter. So you can see that there are many variables to your question - more info please.

Bez+

Bez+":1rfxv9my said:
Where are you located?NW Washington
How many cows?Two now, three in a week or two
Weather conditions? It rains, ALOT
Cow condition?BCS 4.5 on one cow, and my heifer is about a 5.5
Feed available in woods?Not much, but I switch them to a different pasture for the day every day or so (both halte-broke, I just lead them there. There is a lot of grass in that field, but the fence isn't hot, so they don't get to spend the night
Types of shelter?smallish lean-to, they fit just fine, and are only in there when they want to eat, plus there are a lot of big trees
Eating snow or drinking water through the winter?Water mainly, snow doesn't last long around here

All important questions that need to be taken into consideration before a decent answer can be given.

Grain may be required and more importantly it may NOT be required. Better to spend as little as possible.

I can tell you that if you are talking small squares, they need a lot more per cow than a 1/4 bale. Throw a bunch of hay out there - when it is almost all cleaned up - that is the right amount. Suspect there is very little loose hay lying around after you feed your animals.I was only giving a 1/4 a bale because they had grass, now I am giving them about 1/2 a bale a day, plus two flakes of nice second cutting horse hay. They are also getting about 7 pounds of grain a day (3 pounds alfalfa pellets, 1.5 pounds all stock, 2.5 pounds cattle developer (grower/finisher/maintenance grain)

In my area we plan on using 10 round bales (6 footers) per cow per winter. So you can see that there are many variables to your question - more info please.

Bez+

Thanks!!

ollie?":38n03dky said:
Bez+":38n03dky said:
Bez you still got sand in your panties?

And a small black scorpion sting (the scorpion - the sting was huge) to my back to prove it you old dog! Never hide out in the shady part of the rocks when the sun is shining - well, I suppose that is pretty tough to not do in this part of the world. It got me good and I admit I whimpered a bit when it happened. Had to shuck my body armour and tac vest in a hurry - it was getting ready to have another go at me and the guys could not reach it with their knives.

8 - 20 months to go - no one will tell me for sure - one day at a time.

Where did the "Shut up ollie - just shut up" disappear to?

My very, very best regards to you,

Bez+

gallowaygirl":13o38cnq said:
Bez+":13o38cnq said:
Where are you located?NW Washington
How many cows?Two now, three in a week or two
Weather conditions? It rains, ALOT
Cow condition?BCS 4.5 on one cow, and my heifer is about a 5.5
Feed available in woods?Not much, but I switch them to a different pasture for the day every day or so (both halte-broke, I just lead them there. There is a lot of grass in that field, but the fence isn't hot, so they don't get to spend the night
Types of shelter?smallish lean-to, they fit just fine, and are only in there when they want to eat, plus there are a lot of big trees
Eating snow or drinking water through the winter?Water mainly, snow doesn't last long around here

I can tell you that if you are talking small squares, they need a lot more per cow than a 1/4 bale. Throw a bunch of hay out there - when it is almost all cleaned up - that is the right amount. Suspect there is very little loose hay lying around after you feed your animals.I was only giving a 1/4 a bale because they had grass, now I am giving them about 1/2 a bale a day, plus two flakes of nice second cutting horse hay. They are also getting about 7 pounds of grain a day (3 pounds alfalfa pellets, 1.5 pounds all stock, 2.5 pounds cattle developer (grower/finisher/maintenance grain)

Bez+

Thanks!!

Sounds to me like they might be hungry for hay. Cows like to be full.

You ever put pour on over them for parasite control? If not, do it - they will do better for it.

You up that hay amount and you might be able to get rid of the grain feed - it is a big expense. Depends on your goals.

Feeding for killing or feeding for breeding.

My cows would have thought they died and gone to heaven with all that grain - but I figure they eat almost 40 pounds of hay per day per animal when they are on full winter feedyard hay.

You will be using 21 pounds of grain a day pretty soon - a big expense. That horse hay is not cheap either.

We tend to test our bales. The lowest quality stuff gets fed out first, then we feed out the middle quality - last trimester (we calve in the spring) we feed the good stuff. Hay generally runs around the following: First feeding period - 7-8% / Second feeding period - 9-10% / Last feeding period - 11% or better. Much more and they just p!ss it all out on the ground anyways.

Good quality hay in a healthy normal cow and the grain can go down the road for all but exceptionally cold conditions.

We do not grain at all - well almost never. We used to but the return did not justify it as prices dropped. In fact we toss anything that needs to be grained on a steady basis now. If a cow cannot raise her calf on good hay until pastures come up she no longer stays. Genetics is key to this. Do not fall in love with them - if they are poor doers and need lots of TLC - well , there is a pasture in the sky specifically designated for them.

You might try feeding in a hay ring or as we call it - a round feeder - free choice. Consumption will go up dramatically initially but eventually will level off.

And you might run a wire around the field that has good grass in it. One strand will do it for quiet animals - over the long run it will be far cheaper than buying grain and horse hay.

You are on site and only you can know for sure.

I bet your costs are over $2.50 per day per animal - maybe even more than $3.00.

Fine if it is a hobby and you do not mind spending the money - but you need to throw a pencil on your paper and ask yourself if there are ways to do it better and cut costs while maintaining herd health.

Lots of other folks here have raised animals in your part of the world and done real well - but for the most part I would say they free choice the hay when there is no grass - I am sure they will chime in if I am wrong.

Just some thoughts for you to consider.

Bez+

Thanks for all the advice. The heifer does great on just hay and is an EXCELLENT forager, she'll eat everything down the branches, and she doesn't really need the grain, but the cow, she is 2.5 (maybe 3 yrs) doesn't do so well, and it's not my place to get rid of her because she is my grandpa's and he really likes her. She has gained weight since she came here, even before I started graining her, but, to be honest, I can't remember a time when she looked like my heifer does (I really like my heifer and the way she carries herself). Plus, her first calf this year should've been pulled (but no one was around until it was too late) and then she was too exhausted so I ended up having to bottlefeed her calf.

So mainly I am only TRYING to grain the cow, but since her and the heifer are together, I end up graining both of them so the cow gets everything I give her. I don't really want to have to seperate them, but might end up having to, my heifer is great and does fine, grain or no grain.

On the fence, my issue is that where it is located, there isn't anywhere to put a charger (there are roads all around it, and it's small, only about 3/4 acre) and it's too far to run an extension cord. They haven't tested the fence, they actually think it is hot, but I don't want to go out one of these mornings and find that my cows have left! However, they might both be going to the big field within the next month, as we are doing some serious cattle moving. Bulls at the house, all the misc. heifers and steers down to the field to eat good grass while preg. and (for the steers) to get fat and ready for the freezer! We'll see.

Galloway Gal
Many Galloway Cattle are mistreated and poorly managed. Once one of the popular breeds before the exotic came in. Feed Galloway cattle like any other breed and management is the same they are no different to many current breeders think you need to starve them they are totally wrong.
Have had them all my life the good ones are not bred for hair. We use them with other black breeds are they are widely accepted in our area for our repetition of our herd.
I judged the World Galloway Show with an Australlian Charloais breeder. They still have a few good ones but so hard to find. Genetic base is so small now dought they will never get out of being hobby cattle.

Thanks, great to know there is another Galloway person on the board. Where are you located? Do you only have blacks or do you have whites as well (we have whites and a couple appendix whites-two blacks and one red) I have never had cattle before these so it's all kind of a learning experience. However, I'm asking lots of questions in general, and it seems to be getting me where I need to be. I'm also asking questions from a beltie breeder in my (general-WA state) area. Right now I have three cows, a long yearling bull, a May calf, and a Thoroughbred and they are going through about 2.5 bales a day (small square bales). None of them seem to be losing, they are all maintaining their weight fairly well (even though I've only had this many since a week and a half ago ;-) ) so I'm going to stick with this unless something changes in their conditions.

Sounds to me like you all like feeding a lot of hay. How can you afford to feed cows all they want to eat. Cattle will eat far more than they need to meet nutritional requirements. I also find that the more I feed the more the cattle waste becasue they can be picky; research that I have read backs me up on this. Somebody is feeding 10 bales a year!! We feed half of that and the cows look fine; not too fat not too thin; and if they do get thin they go on the cull list. I know a lot of people that feed less or none; just manage their grazing resorces better. Sounds to me like the advice of a good ruminant nutritionist is in order to make sure these cows are fed properly, becasue a lot of the advice so far is off in left field.

Willow Springs":r9qdnucz said:
Sounds to me like you all like feeding a lot of hay. How can you afford to feed cows all they want to eat. Cattle will eat far more than they need to meet nutritional requirements. I also find that the more I feed the more the cattle waste becasue they can be picky; research that I have read backs me up on this. Somebody is feeding 10 bales a year!! We feed half of that and the cows look fine; not too fat not too thin; and if they do get thin they go on the cull list. I know a lot of people that feed less or none; just manage their grazing resorces better. Sounds to me like the advice of a good ruminant nutritionist is in order to make sure these cows are fed properly, becasue a lot of the advice so far is off in left field.

Depends on where you are, what kind of cattle you're feeding and how good is your hay? A lot of variables come into play that help everyone decide what and how much to feed. You can't make such broad statements and make them work everywhere. Some of the hay down here won't test 5% protein. If I'm feeding hay that sorry I could care less how much they waste as long as they get full and utilize the hay. If I were feeding high quality hay or alfala I too might feed for limited intake per day....you'll still get a certain % waste out of whatever you put out for the cattle. As for grazing. From November to March we don't have any unless we plant winter wheat or rye and then limit grass it to compliment the sorry hay. I guess someone always has to play left field so I'll take that position.

Latest posts