Americans now $1 Trillion in credit card debt.........

Help Support CattleToday:

Talked to a guy the other day who was complaining about owing over $10,000 on a credit card and he was paying $100/month to pay it off. He said it looked like it was going to take forever to pay it off. He then said he had the money to pay it off in a savings account at the bank but he didn't want to touch this. I tried to explain to him he was sinking and he'd be better off taking the money out of his savings and paying it off but he didn't like the sound of that. I gave up trying to help him and he went back to scratching his lottery tickets. Some people can't be helped.

Dave":8n6goepy said:
Credit card bill came in the mail today. A little bigger than normal. Three nights in a motel while visiting the kids and that new 22-250 that I thought I needed. Within about 2 hours I dropped a check off in the mail. I know two different people who use CC to buy everything they purchase. Pay it off as soon as the bill comes in. But they have a CC that gives them free airline miles. One has a son in Texas and another in Indiana. She visits them often and never pays for a plane ticket. The other guy has a home and business here and another in Alaska. Flies back and forth regularly for free.

We have yet to pay a dollar in CC interest. Nothing wrong with this plan, but too many get sucked in. FWIW, we do use credit cards for regular expenses. :cboy:

TexasBred":ovz5havt said:
Hunter":ovz5havt said:
TexasBred":ovz5havt said:
Credit card servicing company usually gets those fees that are collected.

Banks sell credit cards to their commercial clients and then get money back via rebates or profit sharing however you want to say it.
Banks make money on your money laying there doing nothing. What they don't lend today they invest tonight.

FYI, you are not the only one that has or does work for a bank.

Caustic Burno":1w6x15ng said:
Very true on the credit line.
I carried a letter of credit to many a registered sale as well as equipment auctions

I keep that line of credit. Doesn't cost a thing. If someone wants to sell off an entire estate, I'm ready

Hunter":1084ljyk said:
TexasBred":1084ljyk said:
Hunter":1084ljyk said:
Banks sell credit cards to their commercial clients and then get money back via rebates or profit sharing however you want to say it.
Banks make money on your money laying there doing nothing. What they don't lend today they invest tonight.

Well excuse me. I did not mean to insult you or your intelligence. Hope you're not one of those Brute is talking about. :lol2: BTW we have several other bankers on the board as well.

TexasBred":ij5p8gs6 said:
Hunter":ij5p8gs6 said:
TexasBred":ij5p8gs6 said:

Well excuse me. I did not mean to insult you or your intelligence. Hope you're not one of those Brute is talking about. :lol2: BTW we have several other bankers on the board as well.

Not claiming I am smarter than anyone here but you were the one who responded to my statement about banks making money off of credit cards.

Credit card servicing company usually gets those fees that are collected.

Just trying to provide more insight.

The CC companies have learned how to get other people to peddle their product. Get a bank or a college or an Angus group to push it to their people. The people think well it must be good because my credit card is thru my bank... wrong. That is to benefit the bank... not the customer. The credit card companies know its a volume game. If they sign up X amount of people, X % will carry a balance month to month.

When I went to college the only way I could get money from my student loans was on a master card. Guess what... it also had a $1000 credit limit automatically. That is not right.

Brute 23":2y5j7c22 said:
The CC companies have learned how to get other people to peddle their product. Get a bank or a college or an Angus group to push it to their people. The people think well it must be good because my credit card is thru my bank... wrong. That is to benefit the bank... not the customer. The credit card companies know its a volume game. If they sign up X amount of people, X % will carry a balance month to month.

When I went to college the only way I could get money from my student loans was on a master card. Guess what... it also had a $1000 credit limit automatically. That is not right.

It's called "marketing". It's a college major and a damed good one. :lol2:

TexasBred":2ccgg7k6 said:
Brute 23":2ccgg7k6 said:

There a line between getting your product seen and taking advantage of people. Im betting your a christian man. Talk to your preacher about it. See if he agrees its people's own fault and they get what they deserve.

Brute 23":mlazxv19 said:
TexasBred":mlazxv19 said:
Brute 23":mlazxv19 said:

There a line between getting your product seen and taking advantage of people. Im betting your a christian man. Talk to your preacher about it. See if he agrees its people's own fault and they get what they deserve.
Brute this has nothing to do with the preacher or anyone else and yes people usually get what they deserve. You see it everyday. Even in your business you probably dangle a carrot in front of them knowing you're gonna jerk it back and maybe just give them a half carrot. If you take the bait blame only yourself, not the banker, the credit card company or anyone else.

TexasBred":34uys34t said:
Brute 23":34uys34t said:
TexasBred":34uys34t said:

Brute this has nothing to do with the preacher or anyone else and yes people usually get what they deserve. You see it everyday. Even in your business you probably dangle a carrot in front of them knowing you're gonna jerk it back and maybe just give them a half carrot. If you take the bait blame only yourself, not the banker, the credit card company or anyone else.

Our whole business model is not designed around making money off of people in trouble, or people who make bad decisions, or people who don't know better. That is the difference. The CC companies prey on those people and the statistics show that.

I'd like to know how much of that money is interest-bearing... how much of it doesn't get paid off at the end of the month... I'd bet at least 3/4 of that

So you have 750 billion collecting interest at somewhere around 18% interest, which means every 4.2 years 750 billion is paid in interest, THAT MONEY COMES OUT OF THE ECONOMY.

I hate using credit to buy things, but it's a necessary evil. But we're smart about it. Credit card offered us 21 months to pay something off at 0%, so we've got the payments set so they pay off in 21 months. We only use credit cards for dire emergencies, which is hardly ever, and then pay it off as quickly as possible. I wish less people would use them less, but it's their money. If they want to pay $100 for a $30 dinner out then so be it. I know people would think I've spent a lot of money just for a few pounds of hamburger.

Nesikep":1cyh7b90 said:
I'd like to know how much of that money is interest-bearing... how much of it doesn't get paid off at the end of the month... I'd bet at least 3/4 of that

So you have 750 billion collecting interest at somewhere around 18% interest, which means every 4.2 years 750 billion is paid in interest, THAT MONEY COMES OUT OF THE ECONOMY.

Around $900 billion. The $1T number includes amounts that get paid monthly.

66% of people who have credit cards admit they have carried a balance.

The poor and young carry the largest balances.

brute.. I sure agree the banks do hire the most dumba$$ people around.. (friends)

Brute 23":2fnpv3yy said:
Nesikep":2fnpv3yy said:

either way, all that interest is money that's being removed from the economy.. means less spending in the end and everyone suffers from that

If I buy a car, its not because the bank is making me do it. If I buy a hamburger, its not because the banks say I have to.

Brute I don't understand your hatred for banks. They've loaned me money to buy caterpillars, backhoes, a farm etc. All of which made money for me.

Its kind of hard to buy something online, from places like Florida, and fly down there to pay cash. A credit or debit card makes life simple. But the bank doesn't tell me I gotta buy things.

Plenty of nickels in the checking account. I buy $150 item online, use a credit card, no big deal. When the bill comes I pay it. Pretty simple.

If I need to buy 50 head of cows, I can use my credit line. Go to the bank next week and flip around some savings to cover things. No big deal. Really not much different than using a credit card except it might actually cost a little bit.

Nesikep":i2mwvz72 said:
Brute 23":i2mwvz72 said:
Nesikep":i2mwvz72 said:

either way, all that interest is money that's being removed from the economy.. means less spending in the end and everyone suffers from that
Jezz the money isn't burned it's just redistributed.

Latest posts